JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my first post and want to make a good impression so I'll be using spell check this time and this time only :)

I recently got back into handloading and have an old Lyman 4th edition as my only reference. With all the information on the Internet is there any use in referring to it at all? The only thing I could think of is I have an old batch of Unique powder (~30yo and still goes boom) which may make the manual relevant until I use up the old unique. Once that's gone, which shouldn't be too much longer, is there any point in using it as a reference? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Welcome Erock46. I formerly lived in Newport!
For me your question would be answered by "what do you want to reload"? Example- .45acp loads are all pretty standard fare. Names of powder change over time other brands of powder come and go. As I think you could do both. Use your older reloading manual and use the 'net for the latest and greatest. Works for me. :) You loading wildcat calibers? All bets are off. Cheers.

Hey Pops1911, thanks for responding .
At 70 years old, all my wildcatting(in life and reloading) days are pretty much behind me;)
My emphasis is going to be on developing solid personal protection and target rounds for Ruger .357 mag revolver, M&P Shield 9mm, and para ordinance .45 ACP CCO. I just got the shield yesterday so all my research has been going in that direction. I am reluctant to spend money on books that cost $20 – $40 for just three pistolas with so much information on the Internet. But as we all know , developing a load is one kind of fun, and shooting that load is the other kind of fun! HMMM … I perhaps should rephrase that but I'm too lazy.
So long

Yes.

Downside is not all powder is in older manuals. They are still useful.

back in the day when there was no internet you HAD to use a book ;) now not so much,
I still have spear #9 book but the only thing that is different is now a days they have a list of lighter loads for most of the rounds listed VS the old spear #9, and there are the now one caliber books that you can get that have all the reloading info for just say 45 acp with a list of all the powders and bullets and loads

Iffin you don't mind some small advice from a youngster [I am 66 -LOL] don't bother reloading for the Shield! Range rounds for 9mm are cheaper than you can reload 'em. Hornaday is all over the self-defense ammo with their Critical Defense ammo...I use 124 gr myself. .357 would be fun to reload. Pretty straight forward like my .45acp. Right now I only reload for the .45acp. Yes there are some great sights on the web that are very helpful to we reloaders. Try Handloads.com. I use it as a current reference.

Some of my stuff dates back to the 1950s like the Lyman Ideal #40 manual that is open and on my loading bench today.

I like using them for comparison against more modern data from time to time. In many cases heavier powder charges are given in these old books, this does not mean it is safe to load beyond any data provided by good sources found else ware in more modern manuals.

Always start low and work your loads up a bit at a time to find the most accurate round or the fastest round below Max. Pressure, should that be what you seek.

Since the development of the jacketed projectile and the advancements in smokeless gun powders, there is remaining in these old relics a wealth of data for many old lead bullets and cartridges that have become less popular or extent in some cases.

Unique is one of our oldest and most versatile smokeless reloading powders and one of my favorites for its ability to manage shotgun, rifle and pistol loads. I have found it to be acutely accurate behind my cast boolits and at a cost of just pennies a completed round for most pistol rounds wile a quarter per round is about right for many complete heavy cast rifle loads.

Buy a loading manual or several of them if you intend to make this a hobby. Speer is a very good reference book that covers most everything a beginner needs to know about Reloading. Powders and projectiles.

There is a lot to know and I would not trust data taken from the net, put it in a case with a primer and a pill and not expect problems.

Reloading is a science and after forty years I am still finding new things to do and still learning things I did not know.

Silver Hand

I would definitely use them but do so with caution, I was looking at an older book that stated 4.8gr of bullseye was acceptable for the bullet I was using but the current alliant spec Is 4.4gr MAX. I asked a far more seasoned gunsmith/reloader about this and he warned me that powder charges are reformulated from time to time and all older data is null unless no new loads exist. That said I would still consider older manuals relevant but as always start low.

I have three generations of reloading books.

My dads from the mid to late 60's

Mine from the mid 80's

And then what are pretty much the latest editions

I also pull info from a few on line places (mostly powder manufacturers)

I will compare all when developing a load and very rarely wander off the path of published info. And when I do its with a very careful step.

I reload 9 pistol and 5 rifle calibers at present.

Hey Mark,
I'm of a like mind. I'll gather as much information I can from any resource, consider the information at hand, and then make a decision... in handloading and in life .

I rarely open up a modern reloading manual! Unless its for reference for a newer cartridge.
I reload for a staggering amount of cartridges (100+), and modern books down pressure allot to save legal issues.
My advice is always start low and work your way up and always check for pressure signs.

I certainly reload for my shield. 5.2 grins of wsf, 124gran. Fmj. cci 500 primer. Nets me an average of 1100 fps. I have never bought factory ammo for it. Everglades will ship 1000 124's to your door for about 9 cents apiece. 3-1/2 cents for primers and about a penny or two for powder. My shield loves that load. Funny though every time get done shooting I hear a voice coming from my holster that sounds like "is that all you got?!?!":eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top