JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you really want to get competitive, reliability is key, a good trigger can transform almost any gun to run with the faster folks. I would recommend CCI mini mags if you're running a 22, I run A 9 most matches just for the reliability factor, that and I taunt the competition, I need all the help i can get.

I'm interested in this speed steel, would be interesting to try to do more competitive (even if it is against myself) type of shooting sports.

I've love to pick yours and anyone else's brains about what's good to go in these and what isn't.
You can shoot a modified or stock handgun in different calibers or you can shoot a pistol caliber carbine. With .22 pistol, you don't draw from a holster, you start from low ready. The emphasis is on safety. The only time a gun is out of it's case or a holster is when the shooter is in the box and getting ready to shoot and under the control of the Range Office (RO). There is never more than one gun out in the open and that gun must always be pointed down range. In addition, there is only one gun loaded with ammunition at any time and that is the shooter that is under control of the RO. You can also shoot a .22 rifle or a Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC). You can shoot irons or a Red Dot Sight in any of the classifications. For points, you are shooting against yourself and against others with the same equipment as you.

As far as pointers, the biggest thing is to follow the rules to make sure everyone has a good time. After that, it's about learning the sport and allowing yourself to learn more about shooting. There are a few bumper sticker slogans that actually have some real meaning. Fast is smooth is one of them. The least amount of movement is normally the quickest, and the smoother you move, the better, and faster, you normally are. Another one is "you can't miss fast enough to win". It means that fast doesn't mean squat if you're missing the target and take several tries to hit it. You need to have the patience and discipline to wait until you have the proper sight picture before pressing the trigger. Like spookshack said, the fanciest equipment doesn't make the shooter, but having reliable equipment sure helps!

If you haven't been out to a speed steel match and you're not a member, you'll need to go to the ARPC web site and see who to contact. It'll be on the calendar. You'll find that people at the match are pretty much the same everywhere. Some are talkative and some aren't. You can get as much advice as you ask for. Most people are very encouraging, but also not judgmental at all. If they see you screwing up, in a way that doesn't affect safety, they will probably be cringing because they've done the same thing in the past and hope to not make the same mistake today!

Come out an have a ball. Let the RO know if you're a virgin it's your first time and they'll let you shoot last so you can watch everyone else in your squad before you shoot. Normal round count is 150 rounds so bring enough ammo. I tend to bring an extra 5 or 10 rounds in case I miss a few times! :D

You can shoot a modified or stock handgun in different calibers or you can shoot a pistol caliber carbine. With .22 pistol, you don't draw from a holster, you start from low ready. The emphasis is on safety. The only time a gun is out of it's case or a holster is when the shooter is in the box and getting ready to shoot and under the control of the Range Office (RO). There is never more than one gun out in the open and that gun must always be pointed down range. In addition, there is only one gun loaded with ammunition at any time and that is the shooter that is under control of the RO. You can also shoot a .22 rifle or a Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC). You can shoot irons or a Red Dot Sight in any of the classifications. For points, you are shooting against yourself and against others with the same equipment as you.

As far as pointers, the biggest thing is to follow the rules to make sure everyone has a good time. After that, it's about learning the sport and allowing yourself to learn more about shooting. There are a few bumper sticker slogans that actually have some real meaning. Fast is smooth is one of them. The least amount of movement is normally the quickest, and the smoother you move, the better, and faster, you normally are. Another one is "you can't miss fast enough to win". It means that fast doesn't mean squat if you're missing the target and take several tries to hit it. You need to have the patience and discipline to wait until you have the proper sight picture before pressing the trigger. Like spookshack said, the fanciest equipment doesn't make the shooter, but having reliable equipment sure helps!

If you haven't been out to a speed steel match and you're not a member, you'll need to go to the ARPC web site and see who to contact. It'll be on the calendar. You'll find that people at the match are pretty much the same everywhere. Some are talkative and some aren't. You can get as much advice as you ask for. Most people are very encouraging, but also not judgmental at all. If they see you screwing up, in a way that doesn't affect safety, they will probably be cringing because they've done the same thing in the past and hope to not make the same mistake today!

Come out an have a ball. Let the RO know if you're a virgin it's your first time and they'll let you shoot last so you can watch everyone else in your squad before you shoot. Normal round count is 150 rounds so bring enough ammo. I tend to bring an extra 5 or 10 rounds in case I miss a few times! :D
Thanks. I'm a long standing member at ARPC and I was considering sending an email to 4EverAgainstTheStream and asking for a little more info but you have nailed it.

I'm thinking it would be fun to proof my Ruger MKIV or my Ruger PCC9. I should start working on some speed with them when I head down to ARPC next trip since I always have the steel in the car.

Much appreciated!

Thanks. I'm a long standing member at ARPC and I was considering sending an email to 4EverAgainstTheStream and asking for a little more info but you have nailed it.

I'm thinking it would be fun to proof my Ruger MKIV or my Ruger PCC9. I should start working on some speed with them when I head down to ARPC next trip since I always have the steel in the car.

Much appreciated!

Both the MKIV and the PC Carbine are solid choices for speed steel.
Hope to see you at a match soon! :)

To get back on topic about the CMMG conversion accuracy - here's the target from today. Looks to me like the lower cost Federal Match and CCI standard velocity will work just fine for steel challenge. The distance is about 30 yards or so (Bay 6 at ARPC). I had quite a few stovepipes early on that required a pliers to get them out of the BCG. Didn't seem to matter which brand or type of ammo, but they all did it. After awhile, it settled out and ran fine with the next 50 or so rounds.
22 target.jpg

@PiratePast40 I've noticed some like the Aguila Super Extra (orange box) over the blue box stuff. I'm not sure but I recall like 200fps difference between the two.

My Ruger American loves the red/orange box stuff but the CCI's are the cats meow!

I noticed that as well with the conversion kit in a 5.56 barrel with 1:9.

Some Tests I've done at 50 yards, CCI Standards almost always win.

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 9.30.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 9.30.45 PM.png

This is 25 though but shows the spreads well with that Federal stuff.
Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 9.32.55 PM.png

I'll also add that I've had about 99% reliability with CCI's, not so much with any other flavor in my conversion.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top