JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a .22 adapter for my AR and want to shoot it at the next ARPC speed steel match. Federal AutoMatch gives me 4-5" groups at 100 yds so I don't think accuracy will be an issue. Plan on using an inexpensive red dot for an optic. I haven't shot anything but stock 9mm at steel challenge so wondering what to expect. Anybody want to throw out some advice? Do you think I'll end up in 1st place my first time out? :D

Do you think I'll end up in 1st place my first time out? :D

Ahhhhh.....no.

My advise - go for it. It should be fun and accuracy should not be a consideration when shooting "minute of AR500 steel" at less than 40 or 50 yards.

I recently started shooting a S&W M&P 15-22 and a dedicated AR9 with red dots and it is a lot of fun. While the red dots make it almost too easy, speed will only come with time and practice. So, prepare to get "smoked" by those who have been doing it for a while. :s0003:

Should be a ton of fun. The conversions for the AR to make it shoot 22 have been around so long I am always kind of surprised to keep hearing some say they tried one and were disappointed with accuracy. Ever since the days of Ciener making them it's still the same thing, it's the upper. The barrel made to shoot .2223 does not stabilize .22LR ammo as well. These were never meant to do anything other than make shooting the AR with .22 for cheaper fun and practice. For what you are wanting to do it should be great and you should have a great time doing this. Have fun!!

I'm looking forward to it. Will need to go out and practice this weekend.
Anything that gets shooters to shoot more is a good thing. I have been going to the same range here since it opened over a couple decades ago. The best thing I did years ago was just join for a year. It got me to go weekly instead of often going months between. Got the Wife going far more too and she has become far more comfortable with her shooting skills. If you can have fun and practice? Does not get any better.

Move to CCI Standards and your group size will be ½ of the ½ you are shooting now.

I think it would be fun to run that setup at the steel shoots. I should brush up..

I like CCI Standard Velocity a lot … I use it in several bolt action .22LRs with great results. So, if they will cycle your .22 adapter go for it, as @Dyjital says you will see better groups (probably by a lot).

I have an original Colt's adapter that will not cycle with standard velocity fodder, and I've heard others can have a problem too.

Last Edited:
I first used the CMMG drop-in to teach the "little ones" and get them used to the size of the AR platform. I read somewhere to run a 30 (or so) rounds of 223/556, every 500 rounds (or so) of 22, to "blow out" the gas tube of the AR. I had no problems running anything through the AR with the CMMG kit.

22 gets pretty dirty fairly quickly.

Have fun!!! :s0155:

Last Edited:
I've heard the same, but never did it. I've run bricks and bricks of .22LR thorough my ARs for the very same reason, teaching young and new shooters the platform at low cost / recoil / muzzle blast / etc.

I've never done anything to the gas tubes and have never had a problem switching back to centerfire. Of course I did a through cleaning of the barrel.

It probably wouldn't hurt to shoot some brake cleaner etc. down the tube however. Has anyone here had experience one way or the other?

In general, given the cost of conversion kits, it's often just as economical and perhaps provide greater dependability to just buy a dedicated .22 caliber AR (in this instance) like the previously mentioned S&W 15-22.

I have one and love it!

I've fired hundreds of rounds through it without a blip!!

Two other issues to consider with the S&W M&P 15-22:

1.) can't be used at Appleseed

2.) if not a new purchase and is pre-owned, check to see if bolt meets advisory specs

Otherwise good to go for OP's plan for shooting steel, cheap AR training or just plain fun.

(EDIT: in full disclosure, I prefer my dedicated AR22 with PSA upper. However, I have a regular scope on it and don't use it for Steel games.)

Last Edited:
I like CCE Standard Velocity a lot … I use it in several bolt action .22LRs with great results. So, if they will cycle your .22 adapter go for it, as @Dyjital says you will see better groups (probably by a lot).

I have an original Colt's adapter that will not cycle with standard velocity fodder, and I've heard others can have a problem too.
My favorite is running the CCI with a suppressor in the AR.22, it's the most legal fun I've had aside from a few nightly actions.

I have 5 or 6 different versions of .22 ammo and will test them again this weekend if I can get to the range. I read a review that one person got better accuracy with lighter loads (36 and 38 grain) and subsonic rounds. Will post a 50 yd target for comparison.

I did the CMMG conversion, then built a dedicated upper. At the end of the day, I was not satisfied with the reliability with either one. I then bought a 15-22 and never looked back!

I did however change out the factory extractor for one from Volquartsen.
I also run a CMC 3.5lb flat face single stage trigger with 15-22 specific anti-walk pins from KNS and a BAD 15-22 specific ambi safety.

I mostly use it as a plinker now but did use it some for speed steel at TCGC. I actually shoot faster times with my AR9 and that is what I shoot 95% of the time for speed steel.

It doesn't really matter what you run, but just make sure it's reliable. There is nothing worse than trying to shoot a match only to be fighting with your gun. I have been there, done that. It sucks the competitive juices right out of you. No fun at all.

I'm going to try real hard to make down to ARPC this month for speed steel. If there are any members here that have not met me previously there at Albany or at Tri County then send me a pm and we can meet up at the match. Nice to put a face to the name on here. :)

I'm going to try real hard to make down to ARPC this month for speed steel. If there are any members here that have not met me previously there at Albany or at Tri County then send me a pm and we can meet up at the match. Nice to put a face to the name on here. :)

I might actually try to make that match too. Haven't done it in awhile because of the distance, but it's a fun match so will try to get there.

I'm interested in this speed steel, would be interesting to try to do more competitive (even if it is against myself) type of shooting sports.

I've love to pick yours and anyone else's brains about what's good to go in these and what isn't.

@Dyjital well as far as carbines go, the 10/22 is very popular although you will not see a bone stock one win month after month.

if you've never shot speed steel, then a reliable .22 carbine with some kind of red dot is what I would recommend to start of with. It's the easiest division to shoot for just about anybody, regardless of skill level.
After you get a couple matches under your belt, you then can decide if you want to try the other divisions or not. The equipment doesn't make the shooter, but it can help to a certain degree and at some point you'll have to decide for yourself if an upgrade in equipment is worth the performance boost to you or not. The main takeaway here is to just have fun! At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter who the winner is (I really like to win though lol).It's about spending quality time with like minded folks and enjoying our 2A rights.....

If you have other questions for me, then ask away here or via pm.
Hope to see you at an upcoming match. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top