JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you have had success running chamber adapters in a pump action shotgun, how did you make it work?

I bought a cheap turkish made 12ga pump action shotgun and would like to set it up as a dedicated chamber adapter shotgun. My thought is to modify the extractor so it will no longer extract a shell/hull or chamber adapter. I could still fire shells in the shotgun but would have to extract the hull by hand or rod.

This guy went a different route and modified the chamber adapter itself.

I want to run numerous different chamber adapters and would like to avoid having to carve up each one. I would also like to avoid having to orient the chamber adapter a certain way each time I switch it out.

Last Edited:
I don't have any but I would ask which one would be cheaper to replace if you changed your mind. I would think the extractor would be cheap pieces. I did see "dedicated"
Are those adapters as long as they get? The mossberg barrel comes off easy enough. Could get a long barrel adapter in there, little more semi permanent. (If they make them).
Another thought….. is it possible to make a long enough hook on extractor to pull fired case only. Without breaking. Probably not.

I don't have any but I would ask which one would be cheaper to replace if you changed your mind. I would think the extractor would be cheap pieces. I did see "dedicated"
Are those adapters as long as they get? The mossberg barrel comes off easy enough. Could get a long barrel adapter in there, little more semi permanent. (If they make them).
Another thought….. is it possible to make a long enough hook on extractor to pull fired case only. Without breaking. Probably not.
Good questions. I doubt I can easily get an extractor for a gforce shotgun. I only paid $120 for the shotgun, so filing down the extractor claw won't bother me. I have numerous other shotguns for normal useage with shells.

So you want a muzzle/ breech loading hybrid?

As in:

1. Shoot
2.Ramrod the empty adapter from the chamber
3. Ramrod the empty case from the adapter
4. Reload adapter
5. Breech loaf the loaded adapter back into the shotgun?

An old side by side with extractors (not ejectors) would be far easier to use with adapters.

Don't expect stellar accuracy with adapters. The rifled section is.short and there are concentricy issues , especially if you can not ensure the adapter is inserted with the same orientation each time.

So you want a muzzle/ breech loading hybrid?

As in:

1. Shoot
2.Ramrod the empty adapter from the chamber
3. Ramrod the empty case from the adapter
4. Reload adapter
5. Breech loaf the loaded adapter back into the shotgun?

An old side by side with extractors (not ejectors) would be far easier to use with adapters.

Don't expect stellar accuracy with adapters. The rifled section is.short and there are concentricy issues , especially if you can not ensure the adapter is inserted with the same orientation each time.
I am wanting the chamber adapter to stay in the shotgun's chamber. If you watch the video I linked to he pops out the empty case while the chamber adapter stays in the chamber.

Accuracy has never been a strong point for chamber adapters in any scenerio.

I didn't watch the video, sorry! Bandwidth is very low where I am presently.

HHow hard is it to get the ramrod aligned with the adapter openin? Is there a funnel shape on the business end of the adapter or do you have to fish around to get the rod started?

I didn't watch the video, sorry! Bandwidth is very low where I am presently.

HHow hard is it to get the ramrod aligned with the adapter openin? Is there a funnel shape on the business end of the adapter or do you have to fish around to get the rod started?
Sometimes the case can be pried out of the chamber adapter with finger nail otherwise use little tool. A rod would be used to remove the chamber adapter when you want to switch it out for a different adapter or to use shells.

Screenshot_20230220-084142.png

I made a $150 offer on a $200 break open 12ga shotgun at Tigard Pawn but they declined my offer and I refuse to raise my offer amount for that budget break open. I do have break opens in 20ga and 410 but the 12ga offers the greatest selection of cartridge adapters to choose from.

If you have access to a lathe you could make your own chamber adapters that are no longer than 3" 12 ga shells that will eject and feed through the mag.
This seems more up your alley.
The reason this adapter is made so long is to have more rifled barrel. For your purposes the length won't make much difference. If you made up 3 to 5 adapters in each caliber, they would feed from the mag.
If you wanted them rifled there are a couple ways to do that. You could start with a barrel liner just the way you would reline a shot-out barrel or make your adapters of steel and press a rifled slug through the barrel with a hydraulic press. DR

I am scrapping the idea of using chamber adapters in a pump action (for now).

I purchased a bolt action 12ga shotgun today that might work perfectly for chamber adapter usage. The Marlin/Glenfield bolt action shotguns use a slip on extractor which I believe could be removed while still allowing shotgun to fire. With the extractor removed the chamber adapter should stay put when opening the bolt?

Extractor type

1685612326281.png

This guy shows close up of extractor workings, beginning at 24 min mark of video.

I still haven't really figured out what these adapters are good for. I have the 12ga muzzle loading black powder adapter and while it's kind of neat, it's still mostly just a trinket. I ran out of shot because nobody local stocks it and having 20+lb bags of shot shipped is expensive.

I haven't been able to find any good information about how the shotshell reducers actually pattern from a larger-bore gun. Once that wad leaves the adapter, I'd imagine the shot in the barrel does some funky things. Nobody seems to have ever patterned them on paper though.

For the rifled pistol/rifle adapters, getting consistent results seems impossible with a typical shotgun bead sight. I'm sure you'd be fine within 25 yards or so, but has anyone shot these things at extended ranges with just a bead sight through a shotgun?

I have an 18in 9mm insert from Chaszel, I have shot it out to 100 yards. My single shot has rifle sights on it and they seem to do fine. They make them in 30-30,45-70 and 7.62x39 in the 18 inch and 24 inch barrels. I'm going to be picking up the 7.62 as soon as they are back in stock. Should be next month according to their website.

I still haven't really figured out what these adapters are good for. I have the 12ga muzzle loading black powder adapter and while it's kind of neat, it's still mostly just a trinket. I ran out of shot because nobody local stocks it and having 20+lb bags of shot shipped is expensive.

I haven't been able to find any good information about how the shotshell reducers actually pattern from a larger-bore gun. Once that wad leaves the adapter, I'd imagine the shot in the barrel does some funky things. Nobody seems to have ever patterned them on paper though.

For the rifled pistol/rifle adapters, getting consistent results seems impossible with a typical shotgun bead sight. I'm sure you'd be fine within 25 yards or so, but has anyone shot these things at extended ranges with just a bead sight through a shotgun?
In break barrels you can use various rifled ones including really long ones that give you a long rifled barrel (like super breed is talking about above). You can get shorter rifled .22 for around $30. Those are really heavy but they work well.

Using them in pump shotguns like the OP is proposing imo is just stupid.

In break barrels you can use various rifled ones including really long ones that give you a long rifled barrel (like super breed is talking about above). You can get shorter rifled .22 for around $30. Those are really heavy but they work well.
Yeah, I know. I've looked at the Chaszel .30-30 and .45-70 ones. I still can't see using them at a decent range consistently with a bead sight though.

Using them in pump shotguns like the OP is proposing imo is just stupid.
Couldn't agree more.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads