1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Using a Case Guage

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Janes, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Janes

Janes Enid, Oklahoma Member

I just bought a case guage for the 223 and trying to see if the spacing is correct is very hard for me to see. How is the best way to check it?
  2. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

I just use my thumb and feel for the brass to be higher than the lower cut and below the top of the gauge. A machinist's rule (a true steel straight edged ruler) would tell you pretty quick if the case did not fit in the gauge right. Just slide the rule across the top of the gauge without hitting brass. Then ensure the rule hits the case in the lower cut and you would be good to go.
    I hope this helps,
  3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

When I'm not in a hurry I too use the straight machinist rule or sometimes even the edge of my digital caliper. The rest of the time when I'm sorting a bunch of cases I just hold the case up to the light, rotate so I see the high edge then low edge. I played around with the lighting angle so I got the best view.
  4. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

From an old post of mine (checking headspace of your re-sized brass)..........

When you're using the case gauge to check for the correct "trim to length" you need to place the gauge on a flat table top (head end down). Then, look to see if the brass is sticking out over the top or if it's below the low cut on the gauge. Again, the acceptable length is when the brass is at or between the high and low cuts of the gauge.

That all being said.......the method works for most applications.

My son had a new Rem 700 and I had a Garand that both shot 30-06 ammo. My reloads were made for the Garand and passed my gauge test. However, when I tried to use the same ammo in the Rem 700, the bolt had a very hard time closing. I had to re-adjust the die to size my brass to the min. end of the headspace scale in order for my reloads to work flawlessly with both rifles.

Aloha, Mark