JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend just gave me a case of 00 buckshot (200). I checked the search on this forum and there's not much, nor is it clear to me. It appears that it is more of a home defense type of ammo, and it is illegal to use for deer in Oregon. Besides, it sounds like 00 buckshot obliterates whatever is shot. So, anything to be eaten should be a slug or switch to a rifle? Buckshot for coyotes? bear? cougar? varmints? Dang what a problem to have! I just don't see going through 200 shells very soon. Maybe target practice. To be clear: they are 3" 00 buckshot shells, so I am guessing it will be close to the recoil energy of 3" slugs?

They call it "buck" shot for a reason.

ODFW Weapons Restrictions

For recoil comparison, compare weight of projectiles or projectile and FPS. If it's a lighter load going slower than the other, recoil will be less.

I wouldn't use it for HD unless you live out in the sticks...

It will go thru your house and visit any neighbor in a 100 yard radius-possibly. Especially a 3" shell.

I wouldn't use it for HD unless you live out in the sticks...

It will go thru your house and visit any neighbor in a 100 yard radius-possibly. Especially a 3" shell.
Nope, live in a subdivision and haven't put it in my shotgun for that reason. My shotgun is a semi-automatic, 9+1, and it is currently loaded with #7 birdshot. I figured if anything can withstand 10 rounds of birdshot, they're one tough bird!

Besides, it sounds like 00 buckshot obliterates whatever is shot.
Not even close when it comes to flesh at even close hunting distance .
They payload is 9 33 cal pellets each weighing 53 or so grains traveling average of 1400 FPS giving each pellet about 220 lbs of energy at the muzzle . So 40 yards out after they spread some it's not like getting hit with a once slug.
For reference a 55 grain projo from a 223 traveling at 3000fps has 1100 lbs of energy .

We keep our defensive shotguns loaded with 00-buck. When working in the forest, I carry a Lupara (very abbreviated SxS) loaded with said. S&B makes good shells from what I've seen over the years.

A friend just gave me a case of 00 buckshot (200). I checked the search on this forum and there's not much, nor is it clear to me. It appears that it is more of a home defense type of ammo, and it is illegal to use for deer in Oregon. Besides, it sounds like 00 buckshot obliterates whatever is shot. So, anything to be eaten should be a slug or switch to a rifle? Buckshot for coyotes? bear? cougar? varmints? Dang what a problem to have! I just don't see going through 200 shells very soon. Maybe target practice. To be clear: they are 3" 00 buckshot shells, so I am guessing it will be close to the recoil energy of 3" slugs?

Um...
1. Home defense - an ideal round
2. Practice for home defense
3. Testing and patterning your gun, and shooting various objects to observe and learn
4... Why are you in a hurry to dispose of ammo. IOW, what harm is it if you keep it for 20 years and slowly work thru it. Are you in a rush to shoot up all your ammo tomorrow? Some of us, ya know, stock it away and sit on it.

I read that ammunition manufacturers advise using ammunition within ten years, but maybe that is a disclaimer? I understand gunpowder has a shelf life, but maybe as long as it is kept in a dry place it has far more than ten years? Are you privy to information that it's okay to store it long-term? Just curious!

I read that ammunition manufacturers advise using ammunition within ten years, but maybe that is a disclaimer? I understand gunpowder has a shelf life, but maybe as long as it is kept in a dry place it has far more than ten years? Are you privy to information that it's okay to store it long-term? Just curious!

I've never heard that but that's a fallacy. Store it cool and dry and it will last a century. I've shot ammo that's from probably WWII just fine. I've most certainly shot mountains of ammo from the cold war era with no problems other than a very occassional failure. Ammo from the 1970s and 1980s is now 3-4 decades old...keep in mind. 99.9% has worked without issue.

Put your 200 shells in a airtight box, or ammo can, or similar with some of those moisture absorbents that come with many products, and it will out last you.

I've had boxes dating back to the 50's that were kept as recommended.
The shells were in canvas bags, smelled musty, some of the brass was even tarnished heavily.
Every round fired.

Don't believe everything you read or hear. If in doubt, shoot it.

BTW, 200 shotgun shells is a good starter kit.

If you practice with your shotgun, and let's say fire 3 tubes full (~20 shells) every month, that supply won't last two years. And that's not that much training. Do that every week and it won't last 3-4 months. Go to a single shotgun course and you'll probably run out of ammo...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top