JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is your friend looking any new friends? :)

S&B is good to go. Nice gift!

You can certainly use the rounds for practicing/training. If it were me, I'd put it in an airtight ammo can and stash it away for the impending zombie apocalypse. Whereby it could be used for either zombies or trading for other stuff you need.

You can never have too much ammo stashed away for the zombies. ;)

You can never have too much ammo stashed away for the zombies. ;)

It's a good thing to keep in mind, and consider how much weight per sq/ft the area safely supports.
An acquaintance of mine found out first hand. His ammo storage was three foot below the floor. LOL!!

If somebody gave me a case of 00 buck I'd put it away until whenever I felt like shooting some. One of those things that don't eat or take up too much room, hang on to it.

00 Buck, it works wonderfully on deer, I have whacked blacktail deer at 50+ yds with its and they drop like they've been electrocuted. It like getting shot with "9" .32 long colt revolver shots at once, its pretty devastating. Up close, 00 buck will render a porcupine inside out.

A friend just gave me a case of 00 buckshot (200). I checked the search on this forum and there's not much, nor is it clear to me. It appears that it is more of a home defense type of ammo, and it is illegal to use for deer in Oregon. Besides, it sounds like 00 buckshot obliterates whatever is shot. So, anything to be eaten should be a slug or switch to a rifle? Buckshot for coyotes? bear? cougar? varmints? Dang what a problem to have! I just don't see going through 200 shells very soon. Maybe target practice. To be clear: they are 3" 00 buckshot shells, so I am guessing it will be close to the recoil energy of 3" slugs?

It is used a a defensive load, but it used to be used in Minnesota and other states as a deer load. Effective in short ranges, and twice used it in shot gun only areas and it killed deer with a single shot. I used to alternate slug, shot, slug, shot. in a pump shotgun. Very shot ranges and I was selective on distances to where I would pass shots over 75 yards. It wasn't fun tracking any that were not good solid hits.

I read that ammunition manufacturers advise using ammunition within ten years, but maybe that is a disclaimer? I understand gunpowder has a shelf life, but maybe as long as it is kept in a dry place it has far more than ten years? Are you privy to information that it's okay to store it long-term? Just curious!
The last time I shot a rifle was 30-40 Krag, and the ammo was from 1907... just saying.

Sounds like you have a good friend! :)

A friend just gave me a case of 00 buckshot (200). I checked the search on this forum and there's not much, nor is it clear to me. It appears that it is more of a home defense type of ammo, and it is illegal to use for deer in Oregon. Besides, it sounds like 00 buckshot obliterates whatever is shot. So, anything to be eaten should be a slug or switch to a rifle? Buckshot for coyotes? bear? cougar? varmints? Dang what a problem to have! I just don't see going through 200 shells very soon. Maybe target practice. To be clear: they are 3" 00 buckshot shells, so I am guessing it will be close to the recoil energy of 3" slugs?

"Basically", I like, like number 4 Buck and like, think it's like the best like home round out like there! Do y'all like agree? Even the politicians are using like...like!

If kept in a cool dry place, it will last almost forever. Some of that milsurp ammo is very well sealed at the primer pickets, and the bullet seating area. I have fire some in the late 40s, and I'm sure there is some around older that will still fire. Also I have some 4831 that I bought bulk by the lbs. for $.50 in the early 60s and it still lights off after stored a a cardboard powder container that I think was about 15 or 20 lbs when purchased back in the early 1960s. Those were the days alright !!!

I was common in the midwest to use )) Buck in many area where deer populations and human habitat were close because of limited range of the 32 caliber shot vs a high velocity bullet. I have killed quite a few Whitetail Deer in the up to 45 yard range. Important to get multiple hits out of that 9 pellet load to anchor those deer, so limit shots to close ones. Both the 00 Buck and Slugs are also infrequently used by law enforcement's shot guns. They don't over penetrate walls like the heavier jacketed rifle bullets may. Should they be used for deer hunting always pattern your loads at various distances so your know the effective range of these rounds, as they will vary with each firearm.

Anyone used Sellier & Bellot shotgun ammo? Any good? I don't know what the age is, but the case had never been opened, and it was stored in a bedroom closet.

Yes, good ammo. I think it's either 9 or 11 .38 cal pellets. It is used for self-defense and for bigger animals like deer, cougar, etc. where rifles are illegal. I always keep 2 in my pocket when I'm bird hunting in the desert for coyotes or cougar or ?. At home I keep an old winnie pump in the corner loaded with them too. I'm not sure what you'd do with 200 of 'em.

Yes, good ammo. I think it's either 9 or 11 .38 cal pellets. It is used for self-defense and for bigger animals like deer, cougar, etc. where rifles are illegal. I always keep 2 in my pocket when I'm bird hunting in the desert for coyotes or cougar or ?. At home I keep an old winnie pump in the corner loaded with them too. I'm not sure what you'd do with 200 of 'em.

Zombies

00 Buck is 0.33" diameter 2-3/4" shells usually come packed with 9 of them, I have a bunch of Winchester XX 3" Magnums that have 15 plated pellets, buffered. I bought them 25+ years ago, if you shoot a couple, you'll know why I still have most of them. At any rate, I never shot a living critter with them, but while out plinking I can say they penetrate about as much as a high velocity .22LR fired from a rifle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top