JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And another one I'm unable to determine a value on. Would anyone be kind enough to assist? I entered the numbers off the frame and the swing arm in this but no results. Is the serial under the grip..?
Grip is a tad loose and looks like it needs refinishing. It's definitely warped on the bottom. Barrel & cylinder are clean. It looks like there's been a tad of rust on each side of the trigger. Everything functions.
It's going up for sale as soon as I can get a value. Money goes to my flying partners kids. He passed away last Oct. Located in SE WA.

Dan

IMG_7260.JPG IMG_7261.JPG IMG_7262.JPG IMG_7263.JPG IMG_7264.JPG IMG_7265.JPG IMG_7266.JPG IMG_7268.JPG IMG_7269.JPG IMG_7270.JPG IMG_7271.JPG IMG_7272.JPG IMG_7273.JPG IMG_7274.JPG

Redoing the grips wouldn't lower the value? That surprises me. I'd have guessed untouched was more cherished.

Dan
I am by no means an expert with older Smiths. If the finish on the grips was only slightly or moderately worn, I would definitely agree with you. But in the condition they appear in the photos, I believe most buyers would pay more (or it would sell quicker at a given asking price) if the grips showed better. That said, an experienced S&W collector may give you different advice than I.

I'd say it depends, are you thinking it's a collecters piece or a nice clean shooter. More importantly what would a perspective buyer think of it.
I'm more along the line of it being a darn nice shooter BEARS BEWARE. But...I'm not a S&W shooter much less knowing diddly about them. 'Trying' to read up on them is like walking thru a pit of rattlesnakes for for me. Will I get bit..maybe..maybe not. I'm just not knowledgeable on these.

I got it from my flying buddy that passed away in Oct/2021 and am looking to sell it to give the $ to his two girls. I don't need the $ nor want the weapon and the girls aren't shooters. Plus they live in a western state from h*ll for idiot gun laws. Care to guess...;) I have enough reloading to do already without adding this monster into the mix.

Dan

The grips are warped and water damaged. I fear what might lie underneath. Need to undress her and see if there is any rust (yes SS can rust) under the grips or on the mainspring and it's strut. Without knowing how timed and solid the action is, with those grips, I would agree 650ish, subtract $200-300 or more if rusty Inside. With a nice set of new grips and no rust, you could get 800-850 for it.

The serial # is on the butt of the grip frame. I would check the grips themselves for a serial #. If they match it could be assumed the gun was with the event that warped them. Make sense? If they don't, It's just another pair of second hand factory grips that say NOTHING to the otherwise good condition of the gun.

I'd estimate $600-$700, but if someone did a nice job refinishing the grips, probably could bring $100 more.
I agree with the above value however the grips are a non issue and won't affect the sale to a true S & W aficionado - Heck I wish I were closer to you as I am currently looking for a 6", 66 or 19 !

They appear to be factory Goncalo Alves target grips and were probably the original 'football' style in that the left side had the carved out area to make room for a speedloader however it appears someone may have taken it a bit further and cut out a larger amount of wood (as on some aftermarket grips). Also they might not be a matching set as the 'grain' and color does not match, and at the time S & W did their best to 'match both grip halves. I have a few sets of these grips and they all match fairly well.

Original 'football' grips below:

FB.jpg

Guess it's grip removal time.. The wealth of knowledge here continues to amaze me. I'll post back after pull the grips.
Thanks to all of you.

Dan

My mad money stash is sure lucky that you are a seven hour round trip drive from me.
Must--resist--Must resist--:s0087:
That's what USPS, FedEx & UPS are for... no driving on your end.. :)
Don't be afraid..send me that paper before the value goes down... :s0115:

No rust and really clean inside.Wiped it down with some light gun oil & tightened the grip screw. The grips still have a slight warp but I'll let a buyer deal with it. No sense in me messing it up.

The # on the butt matches the # on the frame.

Dan
IMG_7302.JPG IMG_7303.JPG IMG_7304.JPG IMG_7305.JPG IMG_7306.JPG

Yup $750. Screws not buggered… should be pristine inside the plate.
The inside of the grips looks better than the outside. As mentioned, I would scotchbrite the bad grip finish and apply boiled linseed oil. Nice gun. Have the exact same one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top