JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,
I was curious if I am the only one that thinks the prices for used guns on this forum or any other source are completely un-realistic?

It is my opinion that a used gun is worth much less than that of new, with the exception of highy desired collector peices.

For example A HK USP new sell's for just over 800.00, a used one is listed for 750.00, how is a 50.00 discount an actual depreciation of market value for a used handgun? Sig 556 rifle- 1700.00 new, used 1600 who would see this as a bargain?

I for one don't understand why someone would pay this when they can buy new for not much more

I for one do not see the value especially now when Americans should be expecting more for every dollar they spend.

Just a decade ago it would be fairly common to find ordinary folks selling used guns on tables at gun shows at a fair price, now it is rare and the show's I have been to are dominated by dealers who gouge the uninformed patrons at just about every table I have seen. If I intended to pay retail I would just simply go to a FFL dealers shop, it's because of this that I have all but given up on going to gun shows much anymore to find a good deal, even ammunition is rediculous, and after my visit's to the show's in Portland and Monroe I am curious to see how many other members have had similar thoughts and experiences with this?

Gunshows that I have been to are only good for parts or odd stuff. There are no more private sellers as everyone needs to make a buck to pay for tables ,which gets tacked onto prices and all purchases have to go through the government. Alot of the private guys dropped out of the shows due to not having an FFL and not wanting to find one to go through for each sale. All the gunshows are to me anymore are a group of dealers getting together at the fairgrounds and having a sale very much similar to what the car lots do.

I for one am willing to accept a lightly used gun at a slightly discounted price. This becomes an even deeper discount when you consider the sales tax added to a retail purchase. In the case of your $1700 purchase sales tax would amount to almost $150 if I made this as a local purchase.

Also take into account that the seller may have purchased the gun during the height of gun sale craziness, and may already be taking a deep discount compared to what he originally paid for it....especially if the seller paid FFL and background check fees.

I think there are people who are willing to pay more for an unregistered (to them) firearm. The chances of a gun being "shot out" is pretty slim in my opinion. It also comes down to what they are willing to accept for a price. I could never let my guns go for a "cheap" price but I will post a price for what I am willing to take for it and if no one wants to buy it at the price then I am more than happy to keep it. Thats just me though

Also take into account that the seller may have purchased the gun during the height of gun sale craziness, and may already be taking a deep discount compared to what he originally paid for it....especially if the seller paid FFL and background check fees.

Why should that matter?

Last PDX show I saw guys selling primers for $40/k. They probably paid about that during the '08 Hoardathon, but that's well above current market value. If they are going to sell them, they are going to have to take a loss.

As to used guns, they are worth what someone will pay. Some of the prices on here seem high, some of those high priced items sell but a lot of them don't.

One thing I do find odd is those who express anger at "low ballers." A low ball offer is relative, for example, the guys selling the $40/k primers might consider it a low ball if I offer $25 because thats 40% below their asking price, regardless if that's about market value.

All of you raise valid points, I personally do not see how including the previous owners costs such as FFL fee, sales tax can be passed on to the buyer of a private party non dealer transaction.
When I make a new purchase, be it a new car, new furniture, or a new gun I accept that a percentage of my initial investment upon resale will be a loss. And is not passable to the next owner because it has been used.
In a private sale neither party incurres fees or taxes, so how is this a consideration?

People here forget it's a USED gun,if I wanted to pay new gun price I would buy NEW.

It does not matter what kind of junk you add to it.It does not increase the value,I am buying a gun not the extras.

I'll be the first to admit that I hate paying full price for anything - especially when a large part of my collection were taken in trade or bought from people who had inherited a pile of guns and didnt want those "evil" things in their house. I do remember back in the day when you could buy a used gun for a reasonable price - in the 80s you could usually pick up used guns for about 1/2 to 2/3 the new price. In most cases I agree - $50 off retail for a gun with an unknown history isn't a deal - however, if it was $50 - $100 off for say a 1911 that they had an excellent trigger job done on it and they had say 5-10 Wilson Combat mags and a decent holster and case for it, it would be a pretty good deal.
Its all a matter of perspective. If you dont like the deal dont buy the gun. Thats the beauty of a free market - Buyer Be Ware - be an informed purchaser and do your research and you wont have a problem.

Any item, firearm or anything else, is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. No one is holding a gun (pardon the pun) to their head.

This is the only true answer. See it all the time and I wonder why myself but I don't care it is not my money. Everybody has the right to advertise the price they want and everybody has the right to purchase or not purchase. Simple.

shop around and buyer beware... Iv e made a couple very nice pickups here and on SGN... Couple XDs Ive bought had 50 rds through them got xtra mags and more for a fair price ...

Its all in what youre willing to pay for ANYTNING..

I to wonder if people are smoking crack sometimes, but laugh and go to the next post. ALL of my guns are worth more than I paid for them. Theyre all in minty condition, and I take good care of my investments making them ... well, good investments that Im sure I could make money on in the future.

People like to keep their name from the system, and will pay retail value for a used firearm if it is a discreet face to face deal. If you don't like the gun prices, don't pay for them. Good deals pop up quite often, with very good prices.

One thing I do find odd is those who express anger at "low ballers." A low ball offer is relative, for example, the guys selling the $40/k primers might consider it a low ball if I offer $25 because thats 40% below their asking price, regardless if that's about market value.

Good point. I typically prefer to buy new so I can be the one that puts the idiot marks on all my firearms but I have noticed that the used asking prices here and most places for that matter are either close to new or sometimes more than what you can find new with a little looking around. My only guess is there is some haggling done back and forth and there is a premium price to pay to have a private transaction that can't be tracked. I have noticed that when I see a good price those have multiple inquiries within a few hours and the ones that are outrageously priced I see reposted a couple weeks later. If someone is firm with their price they should just say so and not act shocked when someone offers a lower price.

I've come to the conclusion that the topic of used gun prices comes under the "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" mentality. When I am looking for a gun it seems like the used ones are overpriced, when I am selling a gun it seems like buyers are not willing to give me a fair price.:eek:

I have got quite a few good deals on the forum here. I have got good deals on gunbroker too for both new and used. If the gun is not priced right it won't sell and I won't buy. If it is then it will be gone before you can respond to the ad. It is up to everyone to decide what they are willing to sell and buy for. When I sell it is hard to feel like you are giving it away, but I have lost money on every gun I have bought new and later sold. I think the milage on the gun matters. If someone has shot thousands upon thousands of rounds that should be less than one that was shot one time cleaned and put away, yet you see someone wanting almost new prices for a very highly used gun like that, then yes it doesn't make sense to buy used when you could get new for just slightly more. There are deals out here, if someone doesn't want to sell for your price then walk away and if someone doesn't want to buy at your price then just keep it. Basic rules of supply and demand and a bad economy all play a role. I'm sure if Obama had the political clout right now to go for a gun grab we would see the prices all go up. I am glad we have this forum. If you can find a better deal elsewhere buy it. :s0155:

The seller wants to receive the most money for his item, the buyer wants to spend the least money to get it. We could easily start a thread on "Why do so many buyers try to lowball me?"

Personally, getting a firearm in a FTF transaction with no snoopy government paperwork is worth a premium to me...but I do like a good deal too :s0155:.

Keith

It's very very simple it's called demand.

If there is a pistol model 42 that sits on a gun show table for 20% more then it cost new 2 years ago. And someone comes along that wants (demand) that pistol and wants it bad it will sell. If no one comes along (Lack of DEMAND) and that pistol sits there on the table for 5 shows. The seller can continue to pay rent to the show promoter so he can display his collection of 1 pistol model 42 to the people who attend the show OR he can lower the price until it meets the level of the DEMAND and it will sell.

If there are 27 pistol model 42's at the show all in similar condition then the one with the lowest price (meeting the demand price level of more probable buyers) will most likely be the one to sell. The others priced higher will either fall in line or they will continue to pay rent to display until they can meet someone elses demand price level.

Nothin you say or do will change that.

Like the price of primers once the price went up to try to stem the artificial demand caused by stupid buying patterns then the Companies who manufacture them and the supply chain see increased profits they will only drop the price to the level that the actual on going demand will sustain.

but what is being seen now is shelves FULL of primers while the majority of reloaders are working away on the Stock pile they have on their shelves. So it is now will the added profits from the stupid time keep the manufacturers and the supply chain happy until the huge back log of primers is used up. In any case the price is not likely to drop once it was driven up by the Stupid time buying.

Rant and comment off.

Originally Posted by jimwsea

Why should that matter?

The buyer may not care, but it may matter to the seller. He can TRY to recoup high prices and fees if he wants...although he may not get a bite. And there are people out there who will pay more for an untracked transaction.

Look at all the houses out there that aren't selling because the seller doesn't want to take a big hit and keeps the price listing price high.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top