JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am always blown away at the prices in the "classified" gun section here. People are literally selling/asking $550 for used gen 3 Glocks that retail for $499. Are there that many people who are either so scared to have a gun registered in their name or felons who can't buy them that they will pay over retail for used guns??? I always watch the classifieds to see if there is something I have to have but even when I see something the price is always over retail. Someone could make a killing buying guns at Keiths and re-selling them here. Sorry guys I guess I just had to vent a little.

I also understand and support free market but when it comes to guns and people who can legally own them it makes me wonder if there should be backgrounds done on private deals???

Nick I know what you mean. The funny part is when people sell guns at the correct price they are gone faster than anything. Plus people pay for the Face To Face deal and not for the uncle sam one. If people are willing to pay the high price and nothing is stopping them.

An item (whatever it is) is ONLY worth what people will pay for it.

/thread

Nick I know what you mean. The funny part is when people sell guns at the correct price they are gone faster than anything. Plus people pay for the Face To Face deal and not for the uncle sam one. If people are willing to pay the high price and nothing is stopping them.

I hear ya, that is the worse part. It is hard for people to price things "normal" if they know they can get more. I understand how economics work but it is scary when it comes to guns and the legalities of owning one and the "value" of something being "not on the books".

An item (whatever it is) is ONLY worth what people will pay for it.

/thread

The problem with that and guns is the "value" of owing a gun illegally. If someone can legally own a gun why not buy one new in their name. The only two reasons I can come up with is
1) when they sell the gun they don't want it in their name..... answer fill out a good bill of sale and keep it OR do a private party gun transfer the same way the dealers do.
2) they can't legally own a gun so paying $50-100 more than it is worth is fine by them

This is why you have the buyer fill out the form.

Also please don't get me wrong, I am not saying backgrounds on private deals should be the law but it makes me wonder when used guns are selling for more than new if it should??

I more or less just wanted to hear what other people thought of this?

The problem with that and guns is the "value" of owing a gun illegally. If someone can legally own a gun why not buy one new in their name. The only two reasons I can come up with is
1) when they sell the gun they don't want it in their name..... answer fill out a good bill of sale and keep it OR do a private party gun transfer the same way the dealers do.
2) they can't legally own a gun so paying $50-100 more than it is worth is fine by them

VERY broad brush there. The ONLY reason YOU can find is someone wants a firearm illegally (or off the books), so now all private sales need a background check?
:huh::nuts:

VERY broad brush there. The ONLY reason YOU can find is someone wants a firearm illegally (or off the books), so now all private sales need a background check?
:huh::nuts:

if you notice my answer 1) was not wanting one illegally just not in "their" name

If you have better reasons why someone will pay more for a used gun than the same gun new please by all means share????

if you notice my answer 1) was not wanting one illegally just not in "their" name

If you have better reasons why someone will pay more for a used gun than the same gun new please by all means share????

Like was posted above. Most probably do NOT sell for the asking price. Some may not be available at a gun shop and/or not be made anymore. Some may be a harder to find item. Some folks may NOT know what the price at a shop is. They look up a firearms and might see the retail price from the manufacturer. Many reason for it, but I would figure that most do not sell for their asking price.

Guns sell on GB auctions at very high amounts sometimes too -- and they go through FFLs. If you have something, especially an older desirable gun (Ruger MK II's, early 10/22's, some Walther PPK and PPKS, some Gen 2 early Gen 3 Glocks) they can sell at a higher price than new.

This topic seems to show up every couple of months. There are guns that older, used versions command a premium over new ones.

If the price is too high and the seller won't reduce it, the gun won't sell.

This is where the lost art of communication comes in. If you don't like the asking price, then make an offer that suits you. If the seller doesn't budge on the price then move on. Perhaps, some people don't want to really sell the gun at all and price it high so that nobody will want it. Maybe the only reason it is up for sale is because some nag of a wife says it needs to be sold for whatever reason that suits her at the time. "I tried to sell it honey, honest. See, here is the ad for it on the internet. I think it is not selling because times are tough right now and people just don't have extra cash lying around. Lets just give it some time honey, I am sure it will sell soon and we will be able to buy you that new pair of shoes you have been wanting. Anything for you dear." Or, something similar.

I always find it funny that someone claims that they can get gun for such and such price, but when you get there (or go there online) they are all sold out of that model. Don't get me wrong, on occasion you can find one somewhere cheaper new then used if you don't mind the red tape - not counting shipping, transfer fees, fuel to drive there, taxes (depending on your state) etc.

I have dealt with people enough to know that they will haggle and lowball you no matter what the item.....so posting a little high gives wiggle room to negotiate to a fair price and still make the deal. Yes, you can put firm on price - but the end result is people like to haggle. they like to feel like they got a deal/steal and go home head held high. There are those you can deal with straight up on things, but there are those who you have to play the game with too.

just my 2 cents.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads