JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I believe the plating thickness is different in rifle calibers. I believe there are plated 223 projectiles as well.

Might have to do with the angular velocity of the projectile as well. Smaller diameter, lower angular velocity for the jacket... my speculation of course.

I am currently using 7 grains of Unique with a 158 gr. plated bullet in my Henry BBB .357 and the accuracy is scary - nearly one hole at 50 yards and they also shoot very well out of my Mod 66 Smith - as I don't wan't to 'overdo' it in a K-Frame .357.

I shot thousands of rounds of 150 grain plated ( the old Western Nevada brand ) bullets 30 years ago in .38 super @ 1100 fps through a Bar-Sto barreled Colt Commander. Excellent accuracy, and zero bore fouling.

I load for accuracy only and NO plated bullet (except Speer Gold Dots) have ever been very accurate. I would rather clean my barrel after a few thousand lead bullets than use plated.
I order jacketed bullets in bulk from Precision Delta or Zero jacketed bullets from Powder Valley at the same cost (and sometimes less when ordered in bulk) than plated bullets.
For revolver rounds, I only use bullets with cannelure or crimp groove for roll crimping, though for .38 Spl, I only seem to load target loads of 148gn L-HBWCs any more. For 45 Auto, I only use lead bullets. For 9x19, 9.21, and .38 Super, I only use JHP. For .40S&W, I only use lead bullets.

If I may add my .02 worth. I have reloaded and fired thousands of rounds 45 acp using Berry's Bullets- RN plated in 230 gr. They have performed well for me whether the platform was Govt, Commander or Officer. They can do a little better than minute of pie plate at 25 yards. Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top