JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am interested in using some of the plated pistol bullets ive seen advertised. They would be used in .38/357, 9mmP, .44sp/.44mag, and .45acp. What are the experiences of others here with this sort of plated projectile? Are they cleaner than lead bullets? Do they strip at higher velocities and leave a mess in the bore? How about accuracy? Is there any gain in using these plated bullets as opposed to cast wheel-weights and scrap lead? Thanks, Dun...

I use Berry's and Xtreme in both 9mm and .45 ACP, no issue with either. Typically follow a fmj load for them, back off about 5% or so, seems to do the trick for me... And you can even shoot 'em in a Glock... Or at least I do. YMMV...

Cleaner than lead, though powdercoated lead has significantly closed the gap. Most reloading manuals run them between lead and jacketed bullets, and I personally haven't had any problems with normal velocities. As for accuracy they're okay, but not as accurate as the JHPs I normally use. I've also had extremely accurate lead bullets before, so you'll just have to see what your barrel likes.

If you're already set up for casting your own bullets, I'd suggest looking into powdercoating before switching to plated.

I have no issues with plated used below Mfg advise.
I prefer straight lead for most of my range games.
Maybe it's 'just me' but any poly coated slug I've used leaves an odor :eek:I just don't care for, so I've quit using them.

Cleaner than lead, can't push as fast as jacketed. Most have a limit somewhere around 12-1400 if I remember correctly. They get a little deformed when going fast.

Otherwise.....

Go for it.

Cleaner than lead, can't push as fast as jacketed. Most have a limit somewhere around 12-1400 if I remember correctly. They get a little deformed when going fast.

Otherwise.....

Go for it.

This. I wouldn't load them in 357 or 44mag.

I loaded up some 10mm and pushed them fast enough to shed the plating. Would get a weird flyer every 3rd or 4th shot with a hole that had a rectangular leaf on one side.

I use them exclusively in 9mm. Much cheaper than jacketed and not as nasty as handling lead.

I have experienced some plating wrinkle when seating/crimping the bullets. The plating bulges out a little and causes chambering issues because the round wont fit the chamber when the plated bullet is wrinkled.

Take care while seating and crimping, they work pretty good and are not as dirty as lead. Accuracy is not as good as a jacketed bullet, but is acceptable for plinking.

As most I've seen are pretty basic shapes they load well through my semi autos, though my 1911 doesn't like them for accuracy particularly. Easy to reload, clean and gun is unleaded when done shooting. Lots going for them. Not much more expensive than coated lead. Shiny!

I've loaded thousands of Xtreme plated bullets in 40, 45 ACP, 44 mag and lowly 9mm. I've never had a problem with them coming apart and I run them right up to jacketed territory. I got into powder coating with the 44 mag because we go through so many and it's way cheaper to cast and coat them. Either way is a lot cleaner than shooting bare lead.

When I reloaded for .38Spec, I used Grier's Hardcast SWC and RN. About the same time, I started loading for .45ACP and used Lasercast alloy bullets because I was supporting the local manufacturer. When I bought my Glock 19, I knew about the polygonal barrel and prohibition from shooting lead in them, but I thought alloy boolitts would be ok... it worked for awhile, then the barrel was badly fouled. So I switched to Xtremes for both 9mm and .45ACP and never looked back. I was using them for USPSA and IDPA before I started having old age screwups loading with my Dillon 550B and then single stage loading proved to be too slow for my liking of mass production, so I started buying cheap factory ammo for IDPA comp. I still use Xtremes for plinking/practice/training. But Xtreme doesn't include a handload/powder manual, so I used the Lasercast manual for alloy bullets and have never had a problem with Xtreme bullets loaded to Lasercast specs.

I've loaded 10mm and 38 special at Berry's max velocity 1250?? with no problem.

Max velocity for the caliber or the bullet? I assume you mean the bullet. My post was about the caliber performance being able to exceed the bullet and that's disappointing.

There are people loading Legomen heads into 10mm(40 Smith really) and making it work, but I wouldn't suggest that either.

My post was about the caliber performance being able to exceed the bullet and that's disappointing.
sorry, misunderstood your focus.

I'd bet there is some amount of 'product safety margin' for velocity as well as ignition temp perimeters that their slugs will tolerate, but have no idea. For my own needs, their guidelines have at least been adequate and satisfactory. Good luck with your project.

I am interested in using some of the plated pistol bullets ive seen advertised. They would be used in .38/357, 9mmP, .44sp/.44mag, and .45acp. What are the experiences of others here with this sort of plated projectile? Are they cleaner than lead bullets? Do they strip at higher velocities and leave a mess in the bore? How about accuracy? Is there any gain in using these plated bullets as opposed to cast wheel-weights and scrap lead? Thanks, Dun...

Plated bullets work fine for their intended purposes. They are not intended for self defense or precision pistol games.
What is left id general shooting, plinking and pistol games where "minute of pie plate" is acceptable accuracy.

"Double struck" comes close to the accuracy of FMJ at close ranges and are being used by manufacturers for general purpose shooting.

Reloaders can use loading data for similar bullets in lead. Be mindful of crimp, too much and the plating will separate and results in two holes in target not to POA!

If the reloader is seeing dirty barrels and smoke it is usually low pressure and slow powders. They are much cleaner than lead, a little more expensive but not as accurate at ranges beyond 25-35 yards.

Use the right powder at appropriate velocities for their intended purpose you will be satisfied.

Smiles,

I know this is a pistol thread, however, I use them in my 30-30 out to 200yds with some accuracy. I'm quite sure they're pushing past 2000 ft/second, though I'm not sure if the construction is that much different than a pistol bullet?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top