JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Brief summary: The mayor of Portland was confronted by someone for not wearing a mask. The angry individual got within the 6ft social distance zone and the mayor told him to back off and informed him he was carrying OC. The guy failed to back off, so the mayor sprayed him with OC due to the "imminent threat of contracting COVID19".

What do you all think? Forget that he's the mayor of Portland. Were his actions reasonable? Was he defending himself? What would you do?

What I think is his words of defense at the end of the article are more important than using some spray.

I like this article better and wheelers words for why he used the spray:

Wheeler referenced this encounter in his police report, telling the officer that he was "imminently concerned" for his personal safety, "as I had recently been physically accosted in a similar situation."

What I'm getting at is just cite covid concerns and having to deal with unpleasant people before. Good for them should be good for us too!

Were his actions reasonable?

I think he was pretty much forced to do it. If he gets a reputation of not defending himself when attacked in public, he will eventually get hurt. I'm not fond of him or his idiotic politics, but he has a right to defend himself.

ETA: Mr. Wheeler might think about Mike Strickland pulling a gun on a threatening crowd in an attempt to stop their advance toward him. Mike did not pull the trigger, Mr. Wheeler did (on his OC), yet Mike got the book thrown at him as if he has no right to self defense. Sickening.

Last Edited:
It's good as long as it's the elitist and leftist, after they've re-secured power.

other wise it's a weapon of mass destruction and racism.

Typical liberal hypocrisy.

It will be interesting how they play this antifa crap out since they blamed trump all yearbut now antifa's true motives are blaring in their face

I think it is BS. Claiming "the guy might have hurt me because I've been hurt before" is also BS.

Consider that when Wheeler told the guy to "go away," he doesn't own the public space and he has no right to force someone in public space to go anywhere or direct their movements in anyway whatsoever.

I consider if I were in a similar situation and I sprayed someone who had yet to actually start any physical altercation and also had not yet shown any aggression other than video taping me and asking me questions, pretty sure I would be found guilty of some type of assault.

If we can spray people who are within 6ft of us out of concerns of covid, what a terrible precedent to set.

Seems to be a clear case of "mayor privilege."

Print the article and keep it for future reference. He/PDX/attorney's have just set precedence.

Pepper spray is perfectly ok to use especially "when you feel threatened".

;)

Not that our opinions matters. And I KNOW my opinion matters even less than all y'all's.

A person should expect to be gassed if he's up within inches of another person's face verbally assaulting, or threatening them. Tod Whalen was completely entitled to protect his space, a lesson was learned by the aggressor, hopefully.

Tod Whalen doesn't seem to be too bright. First he walks into the middle of a mob that hates him and thinks he'll be welcomed. He ends up forced to move out of his million dollar apartment because of mobs. And now, he still thinks he can be out dinning at various trendy eateries around potland and not be confronted by the whack-jobs that have been destroying the city for going on 9 months?
Maybe they should look at bringing him up on charges? A case could be made that he goes out looking for trouble! And NOW he goes armed!

The article did mention Tod Whalen was nice enough to throw him a bottle of water to rinse his face before running away

:s0140: Wifey says "NOW he keeps water with him all the time in case he needs to spray someone!" "That's pre-meditation."

I'm glad there's a way to find some humor here. What a simp.

Yah, I carry OC and a belt knife (the latter not in Potland). I don't think I personally would have blessed the guy with the hot sauce due to fear of Covid. Fear of assault is another thing. Not sure you have to wait for a person to slap you or whatever to deploy the OC... maybe I should check that out. But in many cases, the court will decide. As mentioned, it could depend on who you are and what your politics are.

Maxine Twaters set the stage for this type of confrontation. Since then, anybody wearing a MAGA hat in a restaurant was in jeopardy, and known public figures were as well, ie Sarah Huckabee, et al.

That said, how many of us have said we wouldn't just sit there and take it when some dickhead gets in our face in public? IMO, these morons deserve what they get. Moron in this story should have had a crowd to back his play. haha

Wheeler is still a puzzy!!!

Y'all talking about "Ted Wheeler"?

Yeah, Tod Whalen. :s0168: As I understand, the name Tod Wahlen for Ted Wheeler came from President Trump. On two separate occasions when Mr. Trump was speaking and talking about the mess in Portland Or. he referenced the mayor. One time he was called Tod Wheeler, by the President, and another Ted Whalen. So, the morning radio guys on KXL, Markley, VanCamp & Robins, have since referred to the mayor of potland as "Tod Whalen". I kind of like it. :cool:

Wheeler referenced this encounter in his police report, telling the officer that he was "imminently concerned" for his personal safety, "as I had recently been physically accosted in a similar situation."
I think it is BS. Claiming "the guy might have hurt me because I've been hurt before" is also BS.
Pepper spray is perfectly ok to use especially "when you feel threatened".

The Mayor knows his law. And we should all take a clue. Because we all qualify by the same metric.
The principal backbone of any self-defense case is, "Justifiable Fearfulness". Purely subjective to the individual and circumstance.
But it's a clincher.

Yeah, Tod Whalen. :s0168: As I understand, the name Tod Wahlen for Ted Wheeler came from President Trump. On two separate occasions when Mr. Trump was speaking and talking about the mess in Portland Or. he referenced the mayor. One time he was called Tod Wheeler, by the President, and another Ted Whalen. So, the morning radio guys on KXL, Markley, VanCamp & Robins, have since referred to the mayor of potland as "Tod Whalen". I kind of like it. :cool:
Hahaha! I had no idea, that's funny! Carry on:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top