JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am getting two Garands from CMP in the next couple months.
I currently have Redding S-type dies for the .270win. Can I use these with the appropriate bushings for the "06?

If not, do any of you have some "06 dies you no longer need? biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Ray

.270 dies are made to reload the .270 Winchester only! The expander ball only opens the neck up to accommodate .270 caliber bullets. Also the shoulder angle on the .270 is probably different from the '06. But none of this matters - the answer is no. There are very few dual - purpose dies and they are only for calibers where both can be used in one gun IE .38 Special/357 Mag and .44 Special/.44 Magnum.

If you're talking about using a full length or neck sizing die from a 270 for an 06' then no. A bullet seating die, maybe as long as it isn't a die that tries to set a crimp as it seats.

I'd say just spend $38 at Bi-Mart and get some RCBS FL dies.

ABSOLUTELY NOT NO WAY.

The neck opening on a .30-06 is about .306" after resizing it to seat a .308" diameter bullet

The neck opening on a .270 is about .275" after resizing it to seat a .277" diameter bullet.

No possible way to resize the neck on a 30-06 case with a .270 die and be able to seat a bullet into the neck.

The .270 is also a longer case with the shoulder set closer to the mouth then a .30-06 no way.

If price is your concern get LEE dies. Their dies are less expensive and are every bit as good as all the other more expensive dies. I've used Redding, RCBS, and Lee for over 30 years and some of the most accurate ammo I have produced for 30-06 and .308 has been processed using LEE dies. Their die sets also come with a shell holder. Some other sets require that you buy this separate, thus increasing their already high price. Midway USA has the Lee pacesetter die set for sale at $22.

If price is your concern get LEE dies. Their dies are less expensive and are every bit as good as all the other more expensive dies. I've used Redding, RCBS, and Lee for over 30 years and some of the most accurate ammo I have produced for 30-06 and .308 has been processed using LEE dies. Their die sets also come with a shell holder. Some other sets require that you buy this separate, thus increasing their already high price. Midway USA has the Lee pacesetter die set for sale at $22.

Yep, I use Lee RGB dies to reload for my Garand and have had excellent results. So far I have reloaded several hundred and they have all shot very well.

ABSOLUTELY NOT NO WAY.

The neck opening on a .30-06 is about .306" after resizing it to seat a .308" diameter bullet

The neck opening on a .270 is about .275" after resizing it to seat a .277" diameter bullet.

No possible way to resize the neck on a 30-06 case with a .270 die and be able to seat a bullet into the neck.

The .270 is also a longer case with the shoulder set closer to the mouth then a .30-06 no way.

Well, I got a couple bushings for my '06 and slaped one in my .270win. neck die, what do you know, it works!!!

Now I can use the same neck die for my 25-05, 270 and 30-06!!

What are you calling a "bushing" I been reloading since I was 11 None of my dies have bushings. They have a die body and the neck expander. If I can guess at what your doing is you have put a .308 expander in to a .270 Win die which will size the neck of a 30-06 case down to .270 outer diamensions and when you pull the expander out it will then stretch the neck back out to .306

This is really over working the brass and will greatly shorten its life leading to case splints and damage to your chamber.

Reloading is a serious process not one you should be Bubbleguming around with in some Bubba cheap *** sort of way.

It is, when you are adjusting neck tension to be the same for all your cartridges, after turning the necks. I want to make the best ammunition I can, so I try to make each one the same as the other. I do a complete Bench Rest prep on all my cases, I even weigh the bullets and measure the bearing surfaces. I use a balance beam scale to get the powder as exact as possible, even for my Mini-14.
I also accurize my rifles, so in the end the only variable is the idiot behind the trigger and mother nature.

I understand not everyone wants to do this, but I don't put them down. I have a lot of time on my hand and being anal about my reloading helps pass the time.

Padd,

I think you have a novel way of doing this, however, for a semi-auto rifle, you need to make sure you are full length or small base sizing otherwise you will have feeding/chambering issues. I think your approach may work, but probably not as well as you might hope. I don't know if you have a few live rounds available to you, if so take one, pull the bullet, measure OAL, and the body just below the shoulder resize, and compare results. you can also cover the case in sharpie and resize, which will give you an idea where the die is touching the case. I think the real proof here will be in chambering some dummies and maybe trying it out.

Padd,

I think you have a novel way of doing this, however, for a semi-auto rifle, you need to make sure you are full length or small base sizing otherwise you will have feeding/chambering issues. I think your approach may work, but probably not as well as you might hope. I don't know if you have a few live rounds available to you, if so take one, pull the bullet, measure OAL, and the body just below the shoulder resize, and compare results. you can also cover the case in sharpie and resize, which will give you an idea where the die is touching the case. I think the real proof here will be in chambering some dummies and maybe trying it out.

Would also be interesting to look at the cases after they've been fired a time or two. Improper sizing can lead to a very short case life.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top