JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
People already aren't afraid of our justice system and without the possibility of the death penalty what is going to deter sick people from commiting horrendous crimes. Not that we use it for crap anyway. Death penalty shouldn't be 20 years of waiting to maybe die, it should be an express lane. After one appeal. Not 10.

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The only U.S. manufacturer of a key lethal injection drug is discontinuing the drug's production because Italian authorities wanted a guarantee that it wouldn't be used to put inmates to death — a decision that could disrupt executions in states already struggling with a shortage of the drug.

Hospira Inc., of Lake Forest, Ill., said Friday that it had decided to switch manufacture of the anesthetic from its North Carolina plant to a Hospira plant in Liscate, outside of Milan, in Italy. But Italian authorities insisted the company control the product's distribution all the way to the end user to guarantee it wouldn't be used in executions.

After discussions with Italian authorities, with Hospira wholesalers and within the corporation, Hospira decided it couldn't make that promise.

"Based on this understanding, we cannot take the risk that we will be held liable by the Italian authorities if the product is diverted for use in capital punishment," company spokesman Dan Rosenberg said. "Exposing our employees or facilities to liability is not a risk we are prepared to take."

Sodium thiopental is already in short supply, and any batches Hospira had manufactured were set to expire in March. That means the decision to halt production could in turn disrupt or delay executions across the U.S.

The company has long deplored the drug's use in executions, but said it regretted having to stop production. Hospira continues to make two other drugs that, in addition to medical uses, are also used by states for executions — pancuronium bromide, which paralyze inmates, and potassium chloride, which stop inmates' hearts.

The company's Italian plant was the only viable facility where Hospira could manufacture sodium thiopental, Rosenberg said.

The current shortage of the drug had disrupted executions in Arizona, California, Kentucky, Ohio — which nearly ran out last spring — and Oklahoma.

In the fall, states including Arizona, Arkansas, California and Tennessee turned to a British manufactured source of sodium thiopental. But that supply dried up after the British government in November banned its export for use in executions.

Oklahoma went a different route, switching to pentobarbital, an anesthetic commonly used to put cats and dogs to sleep. The state has conducted two executions with the new drug.

In addition, Texas, the country's busiest death penalty state, is identifying for the first time the name of the company that supplies all three of its lethal injection drugs. Texas previously fought to shield the information, saying the revelation could be "an embarrassing fact" and prompt the supplier to stop shipping the drugs — jeopardizing the state's ability to carry out executions.

The state said releasing the information also could put the company's employees in danger from death penalty opponents.

The supplier, Besse Medical of suburban Cincinnati, is a large pharmaceutical distributor that says it has no way to determine what its customers, including the Texas corrections department, does with its products.

The Associated Press obtained the company's name through an open records request following a Texas judge's order that the state had to produce the information.

Soon , We will be able to pick that Turd up by the clean end.....And lets hope they use a clean needle for the execution , wouldn't want the perp to get an infection. I think the 7.62 mm injection would work better , cheaper and a better deterant for the viewers on national T V ..........

It just dumbfounds me why someone who commits such grusome and disturbing crimes would merit such a judicial circus for 20 years of free meals and board.

How many billions would we save by sticking to our word and killing those sitting on death row?
I think you should get no more than 5 years to gather your appeal. And I'm being generous. Then you should die.

This is some cold and cruel stuff. Hasn't anyone been listening to the bed wetting liberals. Don't you understand it's not the purps fault. It's all this hate speach from the conservatives. Or it's rich people. Or it's corporate America. I guess we will have to dust off the chair and plug it in.

Yeah as always nobody cares about the victims or what **** they went through. It's all about the rights of the people who shouldn't have any.
Just like Gitmo.

Their talking about the guy that bombed the USS Cole, they used water boarding so I'm sure that murderer will get off with obama shaking his hand deeply apologizing for the American people. And then he will get a lawyer and sue the U.S. govt for millions. That he can use to bomb something else.

You look at this country and the decisions we make and really if you not speechless all you can say is.......WTF.

I say we go "green". What would be better than going back to a guillotine as it does not use electricity or made of chemicals bad for the environment. Bullets could cause lead poisening, hanging could cause a nasty rope burn, electric chair uses electricity produced by burning coal, ugly windmill farms, salmon run interuption or nasty radioactive waste. I say build a guillotine from reclaimed wood with a stainless blade (don't want infections) it uses gravity energy and that's free, it's a win win.

The company that makes the needles will claim that they can no longer get the metal for the needles, thus, they won't be able to supply needles. (just a guess at what is next) Of course the company will deny any political pressure.

I say we go "green". What would be better than going back to a guillotine as it does not use electricity or made of chemicals bad for the environment. Bullets could cause lead poisening, hanging could cause a nasty rope burn, electric chair uses electricity produced by burning coal, ugly windmill farms, salmon run interuption or nasty radioactive waste. I say build a guillotine from reclaimed wood with a stainless blade (don't want infections) it uses gravity energy and that's free, it's a win win.

THIS.

Did anybody read about the top cop in Chicago busted for torturing suspects to obtain a confession?

The sad part of the story here is that once again jobs are being shipped overseas, to the detriment of our economy.

If the product was still being made in the states thee wouldn't be a need for this thread.

I can't believe what I'm reading here. If you are really committed to keeping the government out of your business, why is it wrong for a company to decide on their own what they will or will not produce?? Are you in favor of the government mandating what companies produce???? I'm sure as sugar ain't.

come on - go back to hanging - we can create a real moral dilemma for the super libs - tell them that they can grow pot but all of the materials other than the buds they smoke will be used to make hemp ropes for the executions of death row inmates. Besides, you can use a rope more than once.

I agree, however with the growing rate of innocent people found on death row, it is harder than it sounds. We were watching something the other day about 'When the Justice System Fails'. They had someone who they kept in jail for 30 years, only to find out the the arson case they convicted him on was based on old wives tales and not current arson investigation. His conviction was overturned when it was discovered he was innocent. The sad part was someone had been put to death just a few years prior based on the same flawed evidence.

We put people to death so seldomly that I don't see how a company like this could make money on that perticular product anyways. I like the 7.62 injection idea.

While I like the idea of exterminating problems, the fact is even if we execute 1 innocent person (which Texas did in 2004), it is wrong.

You want the government to decide who lives and who dies? No thanks.

Yeah as always nobody cares about the victims or what **** they went through. It's all about the rights of the people who shouldn't have any.
Just like Gitmo.

Their talking about the guy that bombed the USS Cole, they used water boarding so I'm sure that murderer will get off with obama shaking his hand deeply apologizing for the American people. And then he will get a lawyer and sue the U.S. govt for millions. That he can use to bomb something else.

You look at this country and the decisions we make and really if you not speechless all you can say is.......WTF.

+1. when did it become a crime in this country to hurt peoples' feelings? I'm not saying the justice system is perfect, but it's right more often than not. if they're guilty, make them suffer and die slow. I'd much rather see someone executed swiftly than live for 40 years on death row being fed and housed by our tax dollars.

Last Edited:
I'm half Japanese so I'd be partial to using a Katana. Fairly quick, reusable, and even allows the convict a sense of honor if he/she cooperates. If they don't cooperate, tie them to bales of hay and test the sword's blade the old fashioned way, by cutting a person in half...

If it has to be by lethal injection then just inject him with cyanide. Duh.

+1. when did it become a crime in this country to hurt peoples' feelings? I'm not saying the justice system is perfect, but it's right more often than not. if they're guilty, make them suffer and die slow. I'd much rather see someone executed swiftly than live for 40 years on death row being fed and housed by our tax dollars.

I bet you'd think differently if you or a loved one was on Death Row and you or they were innocent.. Hey what's a mistake now and again?

I can't believe what I'm reading here. If you are really committed to keeping the government out of your business, why is it wrong for a company to decide on their own what they will or will not produce?? Are you in favor of the government mandating what companies produce???? I'm sure as sugar ain't.

+1 Well played sir!!! But that kind of logic has no place in political discussions anymore.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top