JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
meets Feb 12th which would close the private gun sale "alleged loophole". Ceasefire is mobilizing their troops along the lines cited within this bulletin to strike the next two days..

Call the Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee to voice your opposition for SB 1551. If you called already do so again and again!

Show up at the hearing for this Wednesday, Feb 12 at 8:30 am in HR 343.

Forward this notice to every friend, neighbor or family member who wants to oppose this dumb bill. Ask them to Call Sign, Show up and Forward this notice.

Can somebody develop a sign up sheet or petition in opposition to SB 1551 to be delivered on Weds Feb 12 at the committee meeting. We need to mobilize a huge wave of opposition to the SB 1551 and we need to continue to hound the legislators to the end.

Your phone call, emails, and presence will help support the opposition to the scam some of the committee members are trying to pull to wool over the public's eyes!

Please contact Sen. Floyd Prozanski, Chairman (D-4) at 503-986-1704 or email at [email protected]

Sen. Anrie Roblan (D-5) at 503-986-1705 or [email protected]

Sen. Betsy Close (Vice Chair) (R-8) at 503-986-1708 or [email protected]

Sen. Michael Dembrow (D-23) at 503-986-1723 or [email protected]

Sen. Jeff Kruse (R-1) at 503-986-1701 or [email protected]

Ceasefire claims the following facts:

In 2013 the Oregon State Police data show:

750 sales to convicted felons blocked.
263 sales to fugitives from justice blocked
80 sales to convicted domestic abusers blocked
51 sales to persons with restraining orders blocked.

But there is no data that expanding background checks would be of any benefit.

Please take action tonight, tomorrow. Please attend the Weds meeting at 8:30 am in HR 343

This committee is clueless that illegal firearms are bought and traded within a criminal subculture and not purchased face to face form law abiding citizens.

Please run hard on this and strike hard with your opinions, phone calls, emails or whatever!

And where did they get those numbers? according to the Oregon State Police, they don't release those numbers. More favoritism? Did someone at the Oregon State Police release info they were not supposed to?

Sent to Sen Prozanski and to my Senator - Diane Rosenbaum - the liberal argument:

Dear Senator - I'm writing to oppose SB1551. I understand that this is sincere effort to do what many believe is right, but I do not think this measure is a step in the right direction. The last biennium budget for Oregon's Dept of Corrections was over 1.4 billion dollars. There are over 14000 inmates in our state prisons and over 18000 on probation. This is not a functional crime reduction system, it's an environment that breeds crime and recidivism. Ex-felons face a world that will not hire them nor rent housing to them. The only industry open is the criminal one. Until we address this revolving door system, layering on new felony statutes, however well-intended, does nothing but make the crime breeding environment stronger.

We need jobs - if the private sector won't create them than the public sector must.
We need to de-criminalize marijuana and other drugs and treat addiction as the public health crisis that it is.
We need increased access to mental health services.

Unfortunately, SB1552 is a liberal contribution of conservative tough-on-crime legislation that led us into the current situation.

Regards,

little tidbit of information for those looking to write their own email/written testimony: Our opposition is making the claim that "nearly 80% of handgun offenders incarcerated in state prisons reported purchasing or trading for their handgun from an unlicensed seller", which is meant to mislead and insinuate they are all private sales. And I'm sure the senators are getting lots of emails from the other side using that number.

"The largest proportions of offenders [inmates in jail] got their handguns from friends or family members (39.5%) or from street or black market suppliers (37.5%), sales for which there are no federal back-ground check requirements." Exert is from a gun-control book by Daniel Webster director John Hopkins center.

What they also don't mention (and is in the book excerpt) is that another 1 in 10 (or ~10%) directly steal their guns. Bringing the total to 90%.

So ~87% of the firearms used in crimes by criminals were obtained thru illegal means already (and continue to be illegal under this bill), or are specifically exempt by this bill. So who will this bill target again? (for the curious, 11.4% were thru licensed dealers, 1.7% thru gunshows/flea markets).

Here's a link to his book. Just search for "stolen". Other information, like this government report, seem to be consistent with those results.

I like it when I can use gun-control data against the gun-control advocates. :)

There have been more recent BJS inmate surveys, yet I haven't found anything like the one you cite concerning firearms that is more recent than 1997. Anyone else know of anything more recent?

little tidbit of information for those looking to write their own email/written testimony: Our opposition is making the claim that "nearly 80% of handgun offenders incarcerated in state prisons reported purchasing or trading for their handgun from an unlicensed seller", which is meant to mislead and insinuate they are all private sales. And I'm sure the senators are getting lots of emails from the other side using that number.

"The largest proportions of offenders [inmates in jail] got their handguns from friends or family members (39.5%) or from street or black market suppliers (37.5%), sales for which there are no federal back-ground check requirements." Exert is from a gun-control book by Daniel Webster director John Hopkins center.

What they also don't mention (and is in the book excerpt) is that another 1 in 10 (or ~10%) directly steal their guns. Bringing the total to 90%.

So ~87% of the firearms used in crimes by criminals were obtained thru illegal means already (and continue to be illegal under this bill), or are specifically exempt by this bill. So who will this bill target again? (for the curious, 11.4% were thru licensed dealers, 1.7% thru gunshows/flea markets).

Here's a link to his book. Just search for "stolen". Other information, like this government report, seem to be consistent with those results.

I like it when I can use gun-control data against the gun-control advocates. :)

and a very small percentage are actually used in crimes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top