JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

"Larger guns, which use calibers such as 0.44", 0.45", or 0.50",
are generally too big to conceal easily and have too much recoil. You will want
a cross between recoil and power, as it will mostly be used for close
encounters, but possibly for mid-ranged shooting. Recoil is a low priority in
close combat,
as you should hit within the first shot or two (hopefully you
will be trained well enough to hit your first shot even at a mid or long
range), but at mid ranges, you won't want too much. This means that you don't need
to worry about it to a great extent, but larger calibers won't be as effective."

Who is this guy and who in the H**L does he think is is talking to?? Recoil is merely a by-product of the weapon....if you can accurately shoot your weapon then it is a good choice for you. I have no problem concealing either my 1911 or my XD. Larger calibers will most certainly be effective. It is shot placement not caliber that matters anyway. I find it hilarious that he makes a list for a civil meltdown and then suggests carrying a CELL phone..yeah right.

"Larger guns, which use calibers such as 0.44”, 0.45”, or 0.50”,
are generally too big to conceal easily and have too much recoil. You will want
a cross between recoil and power, as it will mostly be used for close
encounters, but possibly for mid-ranged shooting. Recoil is a low priority in
close combat,
as you should hit within the first shot or two (hopefully you
will be trained well enough to hit your first shot even at a mid or long
range), but at mid ranges, you won’t want too much. This means that you don’t need
to worry about it to a great extent, but larger calibers won’t be as effective."

Who is this guy and who in the H**L does he think is is talking to?? Recoil is merely a by-product of the weapon....if you can accurately shoot your weapon then it is a good choice for you. I have no problem concealing either my 1911 or my XD. Larger calibers will most certainly be effective. It is shot placement not caliber that matters anyway.

I don't think you should take it for gospel - just maybe something to get you thinking.

Just how many GI's died in WWII from German 9mm? I't is hard for me to believe that a bg is not slowed down, disabled, stopped with one or more direct hits to the torso from a self-defense 9MM. Before, 40's came along, police were very well armed with 9mm, 38's and 357's. The "shorty 40" came after the 10mm FBI load following problems agents had in stopping drug crazed bgs. Stopping drug crazed bgs is still a problem. Many will recall that the 357 125 gr was and likely is, the one which stats cites as evidencing the greatest one shot stops. For self-defense, pick a round that you can shoot accurately, not one charged with macho bravado when you can not hit the side of a barn.

Just how many GI's died in WWII from German 9mm? I't is hard for me to believe that a bg is not slowed down, disabled, stopped with one or more direct hits to the torso from a self-defense 9MM. Before, 40's came along, police were very well armed with 9mm, 38's and 357's. The "shorty 40" came after the 10mm FBI load following problems agents had in stopping drug crazed bgs. Stopping drug crazed bgs is still a problem. Many will recall that the 357 125 gr was and likely is, the one which stats cites as evidencing the greatest one shot stops. For self-defense, pick a round that you can shoot accurately, not one charged with macho bravado when you can not hit the side of a barn.
:s0155: Accuracy accuracy accuracy. There are those who place some magic powers to one caliber or another....I tend to lean toward the "whatever you are comfortable with" school. I have been shooting the .45ACP for nearly forty years... for pleasure, in the line of duty, and as a member of a military pistol team. It works for me. I have seen guys that can drive tacks with a .380.....and am quite sure a couple of those rattling around in the brain pan would certainly do the trick.

I find it hilarious that he makes a list for a civil meltdown and then suggests carrying a CELL phone..yeah right.

And at the end of the list body armor is "optional."
I still like reading other peoples lists for comparison.
But some folks do miss the mark, carrying a pre-loaded debit card
ain't gonna do you much good if SHTF like I expect it too.
Bullets are accepted worldwide, with no transaction fees!

I agree with this. I am not good at much but shooting is something that I have always been good at. Being good at it made me do allot of research and homework. I own every Cal. that is spoken of in the article. I will agree that the 40 is ballistically superior to the 9 mm, but not vary damn much. All the BS about 9 mm bouncing off of windshield's and 40s going through them is exactly that BS. A 50 bmg can bounce off of a windshield if the angle is right. If anything I would probably recommend a 9 mm more times than not. I am a big dude but my target acquisition is way faster with a cal. with less recoil. I don't always carry a 9 mm, but if you have any business shooting at it a 9 mm will kill it dead!!!

Bradley

Oops! For those that assert the 9mm is out of date and too weak, let us not forget that the Russian Army and it's Special Forces Units have been and likely still are, equipped with yet another 9mm. The Russian Special Forces have carried CZ's in 9MM way long before anything else came along. The 9mm has current day history in the making in Iraq and Afganistan. Do you know of any bgs that are willing to mess with and stand in front of a well-equiped and well-trained citizen with a 9mm and 16 rounds in the oven? As a seasoned shooter and buyer, 40's and 45's are nice, but I would not think seriously about buying one since I have several low recoil Smith's and CZ's wonder 9's that can shoot an apple off of someone's head all day long at 25 yards!

Just so you know,the one shot stop/kill tests have been beat to death by all the calibers that aren't in first place.

The 357 held it for some time,9mm never held it but was a close second,and 40S&W holds it now.

Just sayin'.
Again,lots of "experts" have denounced those tests as flawed.

Still the most important part of your handgun is that you can control it and place the shot where you want it.

I always say use the biggest caliber you can shoot repeatedly and hit your target
If that is a small caliber,then that's what you should use.

ten rounds of 22lr,22mag,380auto hitting the target are better than 6 rounds of 44mag flyin' by

Correction.... the 40 came after the FBI had problems with smaller framed agents complaining about the recoil. Ask any person that reloads. The 10mm can and was designed to be loaded to almost .357 bang. The commercial 10mm ammo is dumbed WAY down from what it should be.

Correction.... the 40 came after the FBI had problems with smaller framed agents complaining about the recoil. Ask any person that reloads. The 10mm can and was designed to be loaded to almost .357 bang. The commercial 10mm ammo is dumbed WAY down from what it should be.

True - the FBI did go to 10mm for a time - they bought a batch of MP-5s in 10mm as well so that they would have interchangeable ammo. I'm guessing that they didn't have control issues on that platform.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top