JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Extar EP9 is ugly, inexpensive, very reliable, lightweight, decent trigger, side charging, easy to maintain, suppresses pretty well, fun to shoot, with AR ergonomics. I like it and all my range buddies like it. With a can on it, it is a fun plinker and with a blast comp it's my son's favorite steel match gun. It is worth looking over, but no fun as a project gun. It just works well as it comes and not a whole lot you can change anyway.

If I needed a for-real Urban fighting carbine it would be a 8.5" to 10.5" SBR in .300 BLK with a muzzle can and 110 gr at 2,400 fps. Subsonic, .30 cal pistol-equivalent ammo for plinking/giggles and those frequent sentry-schwacking duties that are oh-so common.

The Extar EP9 is ugly, inexpensive, very reliable, lightweight, decent trigger, side charging, easy to maintain, suppresses pretty well, fun to shoot, with AR ergonomics. I like it and all my range buddies like it. With a can on it, it is a fun plinker and with a blast comp it's my son's favorite steel match gun. It is worth looking over, but no fun as a project gun. It just works well as it comes and not a whole lot you can change anyway.
Love my little Extar! Everyone that shoots it also loves it. Bought mine for $440 shipped to my FFL and it has been wonderfully accurate and reliable.

I added a Magpul grip, light, and RMR and it is now my primary home defense weapon. When I go on a road trip to Arizona this winter, it will be with me in my suitcase when I go into the hotel room.

IMG_20190424_162338315.jpg

I have a 6.5 Grendel, 12" barreled AR thats going to be done up retro C7A1 Commando style when I send it in to the gunsmith in January :) since the OAL at the smallest with the carbine tube is over 26", it wont be classed as an AOW whenever the ATF decides on the whole brace/cheekrest thing. It has a 3d printed retro CAR style blade thats more for looks and cheek rest than a stock on the lower. edit. I chose the 6.5 Grendel for the "large pistol/not a rifle" firearm because according to all the ballistic data I could find, it does far better from a shorter barrel than the 5.56, and better range/accuracy than the .300BLK supersonics. My dad has a .45ACP Hi Point carbine to go with his .45 Hi Point pistol; I feel that this 12" Grendel build will do very nicely for a KISS compact urban/mid range firearm that also would be good in the woods for hunting

Last Edited:
TNW Firearms has their new ASR model out

This is available in so many handgun calibers, also they have the same model in an 80% kit for less than half the price

I have a few of their guns. The ones I have do work great. The 9mm version has long sat in a safe not used any more. Would sell it if it was not such a PITA to sell. Have another that will shoot both 10mm and .45ACP. The one BIG downside to these is the guy who owns the place is to be kind, less than stellar. Anyone who shoots mine and asked I tell to buy something else. Its a shame the guy is like this as he did have what I think of as a great idea.

Does it come with a hand truck? It looks like it would be too damn heavy to actually carry:s0140:
Thats nothing, while this rig doesnt carry a complete firearm.. it carried.. well. Last I counted... 16 magazines plus whatever was in those end pockets and all the 40mmish grenade pockets:s0001: edit. If it was well padded on the back panel and had a long zipper instead of the short flap, it probably would've fit a folded firearm but not comfortably carried on the person 20200924_090428.jpg

Of the current line up, either the vz61 SBR or Mac-10 submachine-gun:

Team.jpg

vz61 analysis:

Pro:

• Very compact and light weight. Fits in a small book bag easily.
  • Works well as either a pistol or a very short rifle.
  • Suppresses very well. (Pffft clickity-clack, pffft clickity-clack ...)
  • Surprisingly accurate considering what it is.
  • Almost zero recoil.
  • Twenty plus one capacity on tap, with ten-rounders available.
  • Reliable enough.
Con:

• In .32 ACP, though it is run with hotter fodder from the continent. Still, there's not getting around it is a light cartridge.
  • Stock is pretty craptastic.
  • With the oily, slicked back hair I'm already danger close to the Eurotrash look; this wouldn't help.
Mac-10 analysis:

Pro:

• In 9×19㎜ Luger.
  • Thirty plus rounds on tap.
  • Select-fire; semi-automatic / full-auto.
  • In a pinch, can be used like either a very heavy handgun or a light carbine.
  • Can be surpressed.
  • Reliable with the right mags.
  • Fits in a briefcase.
Cons:

• Not all that accurate.
  • Jam-o-matic with the wrong magazines.
  • Cyclic rate is nuts. (I do have a Lage upper that will slow it down, but it hasn't been installed yet.)
  • Garbage stock, though that can be replaced.
  • Lingering fears I might look less like El Mariachi and more like Russell Ziskey with this one.
:p

Does it come with a hand truck? It looks like it would be too damn heavy to actually carry:s0140:
Maybe, I just think it's pretty cool for the size of the pack. If anything truly end of the world happened, that pack would certainly come in handy.

While the 8" barrel is nice for gained velocity, I still debate buying the 5" upper.

Patiently awaiting magpul to release there 50 round drum mag. I'll be getting some.

814897E7-E8C7-4407-9349-33724B4D35EE.jpeg

My go to is a B&T APC9-SD PRO with micro dot

Movie quiet with a huge can, with 30 9mm on tap

D6A66943-B963-4882-B7FF-88F04D76CABB.jpeg
Still waiting for a 10mm can then the APC10 moves up since it can share mags with G20SD.

If it must be a pistol caliber. The keltec Sub2000 makes a great messenger bag, computer bag, or backpack piece.
Mine has spent years riding in both a briefcase and laptop bag to different jobs. It fits in there with the damn laptop! No one who sees the bag or case has any idea it's in there. They really shine for this. They are so damn light they give a surprising amount of recoil but makes carry damn nice. I had one in .40 for years that I finally sold. That one used to leave me with sore shoulder for days after each range session.

Mine has spent years riding in both a briefcase and laptop bag to different jobs. It fits in there with the damn laptop! No one who sees the bag or case has any idea it's in there. They really shine for this. They are so damn light they give a surprising amount of recoil but makes carry damn nice. I had one in .40 for years that I finally sold. That one used to leave me with sore shoulder for days after each range session.

Here's where I make the joke about working out more so your shoulder has more muscle so it doesn't get sore. :)

I have a few of their guns. The ones I have do work great. The 9mm version has long sat in a safe not used any more. Would sell it if it was not such a PITA to sell. Have another that will shoot both 10mm and .45ACP. The one BIG downside to these is the guy who owns the place is to be kind, less than stellar. Anyone who shoots mine and asked I tell to buy something else. Its a shame the guy is like this as he did have what I think of as a great idea.
This is accurate. If it was manufactured by a different company, I would have bought one years ago. I can't in good conscience bring myself to give that guy a nickle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top