JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Threw this together, using Eastsport day pack as the main carrier. Idea is basically "gray man" armed patrol or urban get home bag. No sleeping pad roll attached, because its not really meant for like camping. Could use one of those pack-small inflatable sleep pads. Could replace tarp and poles and bug bivy with a poncho, and extra items if needed.

Contents;
USGI Poncho Liner/Woobie
USMC bug bivy
Bushcraft USA 10x10 coyote tarp
pair of Stansports Scout tent 3-segment poles (minus the tent ;) ) , each segment is 12" long, so can be 24" to 48"
some food
snowpeak stainless steel cook set
cordage
stakes
Jungle First Aid Kit plastic insert
M16 cleaning kit
USGI Woodland bandolier with 6 magazines

There's plenty of space in the bag for clothes, a fuel can stove system, fire kit, extra medical equipment, water bottles, and possibly, a take-down AR pistol/SBR type.

DSCF2031.JPG DSCF2032.JPG DSCF2033.JPG DSCF2034.JPG DSCF2036.JPG DSCF2037.JPG DSCF2038.JPG DSCF2039.JPG DSCF2040.JPG

I would keep it in a locked hard case in your car and lock the case to the car, if you park in Portland. If you need your get home bag the situation may be full of vehicle burglaries.

if you park in Portland. If you need your get home bag the situation may be full of vehicle burglaries.
I don't plan on being around Portland for just that reason :cool:
There's been a string of vehicular break ins in ALBANY; which is why I lock my car up, and roll up all windows all the time, no matter how long I'm away from the car. It's also why I've sort of shied away from obvious military backpacking/rucking equipment lately...

Today Midway has a free shipping promotion including ammo cans of various sizes. I'll get a few to turn into locking containers for my car and cable them to the car itself.

Most of the Goodwill retail stores have tons of similar standard backpacks for C-H-E-A-P. If you want even cheaper, go to their bins outlet centers. You can find some neat Shinola there.

I've been thinking about making some custom lightweight packbags for the ubiquitous Kelty type of external frames....in standard pack cloth colors, but with one important difference.... internally, on the side closest to the frame, would be MOLLE webbing and quite possibly a hydration bladder slot... this would enable the user to mount open topped magazine pouches; admin pocket,possibly a 2nd handgun holster.... while maintaining the external appearance of pretty much any regular ol framed backpack?

Does that sound feasible? Should I also include two padded sleeves on the sides for carbines/etc? the packbag would be quite tall, unlike the normal ones that expect you to lash something to the bottoms :rolleyes:

It would be for a longer term armed operation, OR it could be used for cold weather urban patrols, with space for extra insulated clothes and sleeping bags?

Threw this together, using Eastsport day pack as the main carrier. Idea is basically "gray man" armed patrol or urban get home bag. No sleeping pad roll attached, because its not really meant for like camping. Could use one of those pack-small inflatable sleep pads. Could replace tarp and poles and bug bivy with a poncho, and extra items if needed.

Contents;
USGI Poncho Liner/Woobie
USMC bug bivy
Bushcraft USA 10x10 coyote tarp
pair of Stansports Scout tent 3-segment poles (minus the tent ;) ) , each segment is 12" long, so can be 24" to 48"
some food
snowpeak stainless steel cook set
cordage
stakes
Jungle First Aid Kit plastic insert
M16 cleaning kit
USGI Woodland bandolier with 6 magazines

There's plenty of space in the bag for clothes, a fuel can stove system, fire kit, extra medical equipment, water bottles, and possibly, a take-down AR pistol/SBR type.

View attachment 561832 View attachment 561833 View attachment 561834 View attachment 561835 View attachment 561836 View attachment 561837 View attachment 561838 View attachment 561839 View attachment 561840

where do you find the stainless cook set. mine looks the same but it 1953 GI issue aluminum .

When it comes to heating food on the go, I decided to try an MRE flameless ration heater for heating water to reconstitute a Mountain House Pro-Pak meal. I used an MRE hot beverage bag to put the water in, prepared the FRH to begin heating, and wrapped the two in a fleece jacket. It took a little longer to reconstitute the meal, but it was warm and not crunchy!

This is a lightweight option if you want to forego the stove/cookware, but there is a point of diminishing returns when the meal count begins to rise and the weight of the stove/fuel becomes lighter than the number of FRHs needed, so this is only good for a short-term scenario. I believe this will occur at about the 6th-8th meal for lightweight backpacking stoves such as the MSR Pocket Rocket with 220g fuel cylinders.

The older I get, the more lightweight options I seek/invent...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads