JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am going to organize a clean-up of tne upper Neal Creek area between Scio and Lyons in March. This is in Linn County. There is the main quarry and a scattering of other spots that can get bad. Wanted to judge the interest here or if anyone uses it besides me. Just respond to the email.
Thank you.

Some basic info about the area. Paved BLM road with a larger pit at the 2 mile mark that gets a lot of usage. A mix of mid night parties and shooting. The road then continues up and makes a big loop with some parts of it gravel. People shoot and dump on the side roads. The clean up in my mind would be 5 to 10 people start at the quarry to get that cleaned up. Then groups of 2 or 3 start driving the loop (about 8 miles total ) picking up the various spots as you go. The pictures are from various trips. IMG_34211.jpg IMG_34431.jpg IMG_34521.jpg IMG_26401.jpg IMG_26341.jpg 20201024_094020.jpg

We paved Neal Creek a couple years ago. First we fixed all the culverts then did what if any gravel repair was needed then we used our Truck and trailers to haul Asphalt to a staging area part way up the road and then reloaded it into solo trucks for the paving. LOTS of intense CB use as we had trucks and trucks and trailers running up and down the road at the same time. The fun stuff was when we hauled Gravel to our upper stock pile with trailers and then had to turn around by shoving our trailers out into the trees to make the turn. I got to be the first guinea pig and went up the evening before we started to see if a truck and pup could even make the turn. That was all kinds of fun knowing that just past our upper stock pile the road made a super sharp hair pin I couldn't drag my trailer around. I really didn't want to try to back my trailer down 4 miles of that insane road.

Good on you for looking to clean up that area.

REM700..300 I went up and down that road at least 50 times by the time the job was done. Because of my truck at the time I ended up one of the guys bringing Asphalt to the stock pile (I turn and burn a little faster then most) But I got snagged to run a couple dozen loads Solo up to the paver that was crazy trucks coming down the road at 30mph and trucks coming up at 20 mph and blind hair pin turns. We had call out markers ever 10th mile on the sections we were working on and there was NO CHATTER on the CB only call outs nice and clear. I've had my outer dual hanging off an edge before when someone didn't call out at the right time. Makes it really hard to unpucker for a while if you get my drift LOL

That silly narrow bridge at the bottom got a couple of our trucks when guys weren't paying attention If I remember we had to fix a small section of the wall.

ALL FUN not as bad as some of the Forest Service roads we do up above Detroit but it had its charms.

I will tentatively say I might be able to help, there. Have a pickup truck, and I'm down in Lebanon, so not super far. We'll have to see how everything is as far as lockdowns and whatnot in March.

Tracy and I went up Neal Creek today to check things out to start planning the clean up. The place looked like a train wreck a month ago. Piles of tires, party trash, more party trash and anything that could be shot at. Lots of shotgun shells, brass well not so much.
The pit looked pretty darn clean today. The tire pile was gone, most of the shotgun shells were picked. There was a 6ft Trump flag memorial. A guy shooting said there was some kids that dropped of 2 truck loads of stuff to burn for a party tonight.
Anyway with the way the pit looked today. It wouldnt be worth it to hold a cleanup at this time. Thank you to whoever picked it up.
We still filled the trailer but it was over 10 miles of stopping wherever we saw trash.
IMG_38421.jpg 20210327_132517.jpg

@Rem700..300 and his wife Tracy have been visiting and cleaning up the Neal Creek area for many years. Since I had never been there, we met last Friday Jan 25th '23 and they showed me around. Craig picked out a date for a cleanup, so here we go. We do need some help, so come join us if you can.

Our next cleanup...

EDIT... DATE CHANGE!!!!!

DUE TO WEATHER, THIS EVENT HAS BEEN MOVED 2 WEEKS DOWN THE ROAD!!!

NEW CLEANUP DATE IS:

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Saturday, February 25, 2023, 9AM

Come and show your Stewardship & Respect for our Great Outdoors!

To prevent this site from closing to recreational target practice, we need to keep it clean and recreate responsibly.

The trash is primarily from illegal dumping over the edge of the parking area, however, some target shooting trash has been left behind by a few who don't respect and protect our favorite places to shoot.

This event is dependent on NO SNOW conditions. If snow, it's a no go!

Neal Creek Quarry Cleanup
Neal Creek 2023 Edited bc.jpg

Last Edited:
I don't shoot up there, but I do live close by. I typically shoot on my own property but I will come help with the cleanup. We have much more property damage up there I see that road getting closed for good

I don't shoot up there, but I do live close by. I typically shoot on my own property but I will come help with the cleanup. We have much more property damage up there I see that road getting closed for good
Thanks, Tlock. Looking forward to meeting you!

Bill

Pending something coming up at work, I'll be there with at least one or two of my sons to help. Wife and daughter will be at shooting practice, daughter is trying to qualify for the Jr Olympics again. I've got a trailer I can bring if needed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top