Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Upgrading to a smart phone

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sandman1212, Oct 2, 2012.

1. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I am not one that "Keeps up with the Jones'", so just last weekend I upgraded to a smart phone.
    All I can say is "WOW"! the capabilities of the new smartphones are amazing! email, websearches, movies, GPS navigation (think Tom-Tom) and so much more.
    I have found that since I got it, I hardly touch my computer. Is that normal?

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Normal for some, but not for others. Frankly I couldn't live without my desktop and never see the smart phone or tablet replacing it, guess I am old fashioned.

What phone did you get? What operating system Windows, Android or IOS?

3. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I got a Droid Razr with the Android operating system. I didn't think that a smartphone could do that, either. I still have some tasks that that I need the computer for, but very limited.

Funny story, my wife and I both upgraded to smart phones. She had her heart set on the IPHONE 4S or 5 for months until listening to me talk to the phone guy. We found out about the better hardware, free apps, 4G LTE network etc and she got sold on the Android as well. She walked out with a Galaxy SIII. we love the new phones!

4. Bajablast

Bajablast Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I'll stick with my plain ol' dumb phone. I cannot rationalize the extra $$$ to upgrade to a smart?phone with required data plan.

I have a Samsung Rugby flip phone, which is supposedly military tough, though I have not tested it too much. It works fine for me going on 2+ years....

--------------------------------------------------------
    Capitalism is BO$$!!!

5. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

Love my windows phone. Use it more then my laptop.

Hate all things apple!

6. HenryJ

HenryJ Eastern Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Love all things apple...bought a Samsung SII. No regrets. I'll spend my apple money saved on Dutch Apple Pie :)

7. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

hmmm, allow me to qualify my statement. As the Dutch apple pie sounds GOOD!

I hate all things computerized apple.. :)

8. timber crasher

timber crasher Rainier, Oregon New Member

Just upgraded to a Bionic yesterday.For my limited use,I think I just did away the laptop.

9. hatchj

hatchj Milwaukie, OR Member

I dislike apple, but their phones and ipods (OPINION coming, not trying to argue) are unfortunately the best out there...again, in my opinion.

I've had an android, but found the operating system to get a little unstable at times.
    I was also surprised at how much less I use a real computer.

And yes, apple pie sounds awesome right about now.

10. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I'm an Apple stock holder and love their products. It's pretty standard for the drones at the phone stores to try to sell you anything but an Apple phone. They get spiffs (instant cash commissions) from all the manufacturers except Apple when they sell a phone. There are a lot of things they'll gloss over and distort in order to sell you something on which they will get a commission. Samsung makes a competent phone and all, but I refuse to do business with people I consider to be thieves. YMMV.

11. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

As much as I like to entertain the freedom of not being tied to a smartphone, in reality it's just not possible for me. I use it for absolutely everything, all synchronized with my desktop and my laptop.

My main computer is a MacBook Pro and my girlfriend uses an iPad, though we have two other PC's in the house which get used daily. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 for my phone and she has an iPhone 4S. She's been trying to get me to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when my contract is up, but I'm still on the fence. I bought my MacBook because the price between it and a PC laptop with similar specs and build quality was less than $100, though the MacBook has a much higher resale value. It can also run Windows, but I've been using OSX since I bought it. I think I'm about as close to a neutral party as one can be when it comes to Apple vs everything else. I can see their benefits and drawbacks, and they're far from perfect.

12. giddyupgo55

giddyupgo55 Vernonia Active Member

I guess I'm not hip. Even though I enjoy Northwestfirearms I could live without a computer. Cell phone is just a simple flip phone. The computer is for the other half to keep her happy.

13. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

I'm really happy with my Android. I had been back and forth on whether or not I should upgrade when my phone crapped out and made the choice for me! I ended up with a ZTE Merit from Walmart, cost was around $150 with a 3 year extended warranty. The plan I have is Straight Talk, which is owned by Walmart, and goes through AT&T towers. You have to watch it though, the Walmart phones (depending on model) run off of different cell company towers. I only pay $45 a month for unlimited everything, but am cut to 3G only speeds. Not that I mind, I like having the internet in my pocket :)

14. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Good choice Skud, I've heard great things about the $45 unlimited Straight Talk plans.

15. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

You can also download a free app like "Convo" and use it to browse and post to this forum in a phone-friendly format.

16. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

Based on sales metrics, the two leading contenders are Apple and Android. Windows continues to significantly lag in the smart-phone market. So pick what works for you.

I am all Apple now. I've been in IT/computers for almost 25 years, and I'm personally done with being a test pilot (ie., giving away my personal time) for Microsoft software. I knowingly pay more for the Apple products since it is a closed ecosystem, things sync well across devices and computers, things generally work well, and there is a general focus on simplicity and the non-technical user. For example, my wife (who is not a techie) doesn't need to ask me for help (she uses her iPad and iPhone without my assistance).

Peter

17. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

I should have clarified in my post, depending on what you choose different phones will run off different towers (when referring to straight talk). My ZTE Merit runs off of AT&T towers which has great reception and 3g coverage in my area. Some of the other phones in that price range were run on Sprint towers, and I will absolutely not do business with that company again.

18. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

While it's true that Android devices of all brands lead in unit sales (with 2 for 1 giveaways, etc), Apple rakes in about 70% of the profits to be had in the smartphone field.

19. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I have a HTC EVO 4G LTE supplied by my employer for a while now... DAYUM, this thing rules! Internet, HD video, three different email accounts that go through it, GPS, MP3, FM radio, Google searches, Kindle, etc.

(I mostly access this site with it.)

Now, since Apple prevailed against HTC in that patent lawsuit, I have to root my phone so I can hack some code lines to re-enable some hyper-link functions that were disabled with the last update... Jerks! Just gotta do my homework before I get into the root directory. After that, there will be NO MORE software updates to this phone!

20. Phrank

Phrank Forest Grove Active Member