JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So...I am wanting to purchase my first AR. My budget is $750.

I do not wish to purchase the best, but am trying to avoid junk.

I am a noob, and am looking for something ready to shoot out of the box. I have checked out what Cabellas has available (I got Cabellas gift cards for Christmas and my BDay). Below are the AR's I narrowed it down to.

Smith & Wesson M&P Sport AR-15 Rifle = 699.00
Smith & Wesson’s versatile, value-packed M&P Sport is ready to go right out of the box! It has a 16" Melonite®-coated extended-life barrel with accurate 5R rifling and a flash suppressor. Its six-position collapsible stock extends effortlessly for a custom fit. The precision action features a chrome-lined gas key and bolt carrier, as well as an accuracy-enhancing single-stage trigger protected by a forged integral trigger guard. The action-ready sight set consists of a Magpul® folding MBUS rear sight and an adjustable A2 front sight. 30-round Magpul PMAG® magazine included.

Bushmaster Carbon 15 W/Red Dot = 699.00
Ultralight carbon 15-composite molded upper and lower receivers. 16" barrel with Izzy flash surpressor. Includes Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot sight and two 30-round magazines.

DPMS Panther 5.56 NATO Oracle = 739.00
Nearly identical to the AP4 Panther Carbine but with an A3-style flat-top upper to accommodate your choice of optics. Also has an adjustable DPMS Pardus carbine stock.

Any of those are good choices for a first AR. I'd rank the DPMS third because their triggers are a bit rough. The S&W will treat you right, and if you have a decent chunk of change on that gift card...also watch for Cabellas sale flyers (10% off or $20 dollars off purchases over $150).

The Bushmaster is a nice choice because it has no A2 front sight, so it's more flexible for mounting optics right out of the box. Goodluck with whateer you choose, and safe shooting!
Chris

of the 3 selected i would go with the Smith & Wesson M&P Sport AR-15 Rifle = 699.00
comes with the buis rather than a optic so you can add a choice optic later and learn to shoot with your irons in the mean time
if the trigger is really a "accuracy-enhancing single-stage " that would be a good plus (they probably just have light trigger springs maybe someone can elaborate on this)
of the ones listed its seems to best value, they have had pretty good reviews

this being your first you might want to look into who has the best warranty and customer service (customer service being service after a product is purchased not who is the nicest on the phone when you are buying as they will all kiss your butt to make a sale)

Honestly I was leaning towards the S&W based on the name and the looks. I talked to the sales guy at Cabelas and he said there should be a flyer coming out in the next 2 weeks or so. Recently the DPMS and the bushmaster were on sale, but not now. I will wait and catch a sale! Thank you guys!

I carried a Colt every single day in the service as a Vietnam-era Military Policeman. I am a Colt collector. When I decided it was time to purchase an AR, I wanted a Colt. My purpose was for a lightweight Coyote rifle that I could strap on my back, with a specific requirement for accuracy.

I researched them all for a year and a half, and what I decided on was a DPMS AP4. (Based on cost savings, reputation, and personal consultaion with FBI and Delta Force people which included range time with them). I proudly own an FBI ball cap won on a bet that day.

This rifle shot cheapie Federal FMJ ammo into 1 1/2 inch right out of the box, (factory iron sights at 100yards off the bench) and literally blew me away with this result. Fed a diet of a good handload, and scoped with a Leupold Ultralight 3x-9x, and a Timney trigger installed, it now groups easily and without exception under one inch.

I have tried everything I know to make it fail. It has not.

I will instantly defer to and respect the opinions of those who've posted here, and have much more experience with a variety of AR's , but for my purposes and with my results, I cannot forsee regretting my choice.

I saw this coupon for employee pricing at Cabelas on another forum. Might save you a little. Cabela's Employee Pricing Coupon. - Imgur

Awesome...Thank you. I will call them today and see what kind of discount this comes to.

Yesterday I got the Cabelas flyer in the mail. No AR's on sale. Although, they do have all Beretta 92/96 pistols for $50 off...and some savage rifles $50 off.

I went in today to purchase the S&W M&P 15 sport. used the coupon. Got it for 629.99!!! Thank you. On my way out, gave the coupon to the next gun buyer. I also got ammo and a holster. Good savings on everything!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top