JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Back on Oct 16, I posted about my negligent discharge with my CZ 75D PCR that sent a 9mm 90 grain Underwood XTreme Defender round at 1400 feet per second through the top right of my left foot, through two large ankle bones, and out the left side. I ended up spending four days in the hospital, during which I underwent two surgeries under general anesthesia to clean out the wound path and received constant IVs of antibiotics to try and prevent any infection.

So, after over two months on crutches spent wearing first a cast and then a protective boot, I was finally able to start wearing a regular shoe and walking on it again beginning yesterday. It still hurts to the point of needing to take good sized doses of ibuprofen and I certainly won't be distance running any time soon, but it's nice to be able to get around fairly normally and feel like I almost certainly will be making a full recovery. I have definitely learned a real lesson in the need for total adherence to firearms safety rules, in never being in a hurry when trying to get out of the door and get to the range, and in how even the mighty (in my case the less than even remotely mighty) can be laid low.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here on the forum who supported me in my recovery and in reminding me to stay positive when it really was pretty hard to do. Hopefully my original post about the injury was helpful. I just want to stress again how quickly things can go from great to pretty terrible and how incredibly lucky I was to have not injured myself even more seriously or even fatally. My wife has told me since the incident that she would have not wanted to have anything to do with me if I'd killed myself accidentally. :) So don't do this to yourself.

Before, during, and after pictures follow. Before anyone comments on it, please know that my eight year old granddaughter picked out my cast color. Couldn't say no to that. And thanks again. — Jeff Rogers. B370D66F-1872-4ECD-984A-952448657ADF.jpeg EC0FAE78-B405-4EAB-88A8-09436096A507.jpeg 0F6372C1-2463-4C6C-AD85-59D56E5B8C40.jpeg EC8F5925-8F49-421B-AC29-CE1AAA2513C7.jpeg 6A23DCAE-8492-4F0E-A5CF-7683897E100F.jpeg 55ABC664-7DB2-45A2-AED9-61DB16DFD9B8.jpeg

Glad to hear you are getting better!!!

My wife broke her ankle on both sides on July 19 2018 and is still wearing a brace. You're doin good!!!!

Did you blow your toenail off?

Glad to know you did not hurt yourself worse and are recovering well enough.

Was thinking how hollywood portrays gunshots too often as a minor nuisance, which does not appear to be true...at least in your case :eek::)

To help so this doesn't happen again, I would like to volunteer to take your firearms off your hands...........:p

All joking aside glad to see you are doing well, and on that road to recovery.

Being very new to the forum I am just seeing this. Thanks for having the integrity to post your experience, though I would expect nothing less from someone whom I assume is a retired USAF CMSgt. I think all of us have had close calls and I shudder to think of a couple of mine. Thanks again Chief, from a crusty old retired USAF Maj/Pilot.

Am I alone in thinking that your big toe looks funny?

Aside from the nasty hole in your foot and all.

P

I suggested that he name his big toe, "Uncle Fester" in the original thread..... too soon?

:eek:;)

Seriously though.....

@SynapticSilence (Jeff), looks like you're recovering very nicely... and after only 2 months! I'm glad you're looking at a full recovery, keep at it!

:s0155:

Thank you for your original post and your follow up. Both have been extremely insightful.

Am I alone in thinking that your big toe looks funny?

Aside from the nasty hole in your foot and all.
P
Nope. Lost the nail on my big toe and a few others from wearing a much too small pair of running shoes that I thought would stretch out. They didn't stretch. The nail said bye. I knew someone would pick up on that (again). At least I had on clean underwear when the ambulance came. :)

Glad to hear you are getting better!!!

My wife broke her ankle on both sides on July 19 2018 and is still wearing a brace. You're doin good!!!!

Did you blow your toenail off?
I was lucky. The XTreme Defender round doesn't deform. The nifty flutes on the head of the bullets essentially drilled straight through the both bones and barely fractured the second one. If it had been a hollow point, it would have probably totally demolished my ankle. Lucky me. If you can call that lucky.

Glad to know you did not hurt yourself worse and are recovering well enough.

Was thinking how hollywood portrays gunshots too often as a minor nuisance, which does not appear to be true...at least in your case :eek::)
Nothing minor about this. I was able to keep myself together and call 911 after I hobbled to my office and found my cell phone, but just barely. No way this was something I could just shake off and keep walking. The pain, as Bill Cosby used to say before his rep went out the window, was tremendous.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top