JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
... Or "get free training on the initiative process and how/how-not to gather signatures!!"

I would encourage people to attend. Not only to get involved or "listen" to the other side, but to learn what they are doing first hand. And what not to do (i.e. how to monitor signature gathers later on. Or not). I know it will be hard to listen to so many people who, unfortunately, are being motivated by ignorance and fear to control the symbol of their fear. But I think we HAVE to get involved, and not rely on just the court challenges to succeed.

Bonus: if we get enough people trained now, in the future we can put our OWN ballots out there. There is nearly 80k on the Oregonians against assault weapon ban facebook page. And I bet they each know at least 2-3 people easy who would sign a ballot to protect our rights in the future.

Here is what I have so far. They are really trying to pull out all the stops on this one:

June 11, 7 PM, Portland, emphasis on youth involvement.
Augustana Lutheran Church, 2710 NE 14th Ave Portland OR 97212

June 13, 7 PM, Salem, St. Mark's Lutheran Church, 790 Marion St N.E. Salem, OR 97301

June 14, 7 PM, Eugene, First Christian Church, 1166 Oak St. Eugene, OR 9740

June 19, 7 PM, Portland, Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, 147 NW 19th Ave Portland OR 97209

June 20, 7 PM, Bend, Trinity Episcopal Church, 469 NW Wall St. Bend, OR 97701

And if you want to make it official, their signup page:

Gather Signatures

As always, please spread the word.

So the group sponsoring this initiative under the banner "Lift Every Voice in Oregon" on facebook just made a BIG announcement. They stated they will NOT appeal their own title of the ballot measure, want to start gathering signatures as quick as possible, and appealed (pleaded?) for all other groups to drop their appeals and let the signature gathering process begin!

Good for them... LMFAO. NOT!

But there is one piece of tactical information to pass on. They are planning a hail-mary pass "Signing Sabbath Weekend, Friday June 29th to July 1st", with a "Sunday, July 1: Lift 100,000 Voices Day". Which makes me wonder; can they gather signatures at a church, or make announcements about it? Maybe we should go to church and find out, or at least gather evidence.

Meaning if you, and friends (get some involved) plan on observing signature gatherers in your area, plan accordingly.

And don't forget to get some FREE ballot initiative training from the list above. They may have messed up by trying to rush the process. But as we all study how it is done, I see no reason why we cannot get our own 'reasonable and common sense' initiatives on the ballot that have a chance of passing.

Safe storage rebates?

Or how about "more stringent and higher standards for firearm transfers by adding FFL03, Civilian Marksmanship and Concealed Carry licenses as credentials to the Oregon universal background check system".

Last Edited:
Is it clear they can get political signatures on church property? A church can advise you to vote in your best interest but they're not supposed to tell you how to vote.

Me still thinks if this is done from the pulpit, and they set about gathering signatures from the congregations, then they should probably be in jeopardy of losing their tax exempt status.

Definitely need to infiltrate and record, because I'm feeling more and more confident that they will violate the signature gathering rules...

anyone found a forum on where they are discussing this? or on their facebook (I dont have facebook).

There is a rather large facebook page "Oregonians Against the Assault Weapon Ban" (private group), and the initiatives "lift every voice" facebook page (public). And of course OFF's updates/facebook page.

Last Edited:
Note also: I peak in on the Demanding Moms facebook page from time to time. They had two meetings coming up that caught my eye. One was for 'legislative priorities for 2019'. The other was for a "history of the 2nd amendment" by a professor at Lewis & Clark college.

There were also the usual house parties. I've heard of some people attending them and having some success in communicating that we shouldn't be viewed as bad people, and have real concerns. The pro-2nd amendment people tend to take a 'I acknowledge you are scared, angry and want to do something' first as an ice breaker to get people to start listening to each other. I haven't done so myself, but feel we should try and bring the talking and education directly to the source as the media/gun-control groups are not only not helping, but doing the opposite and piling on the fear and prejudice.

Since it was asked:

IP43 Volunteer Training & Rally in NE Portland

There is the facebook page for the upcoming June 11th volunteer training for signatures.

Help Gather Signatures

From their website it shows a schedule list of events for the training.

A snip it from the FB details page:

"Members of all faiths are invited to join Lift Every Voice Oregon in a signature gathering training and rally around Initiative Petition 43. For more information, or to find out other ways to get involved, visit Home.

ABOUT THE BALLOT MEASURE:
Clergy members of all faiths, youth, advocates, and Oregonians who are gun owners and non-gun owners have come together as a coalition to stop the carnage in our schools, our streets, and throughout our country. The coalition, "Lift Every Voice," has one goal: to make the state a safer place for all Oregonians.

IP 43 has been filed as a ballot initiative petition for the November 2018 election. IP 43 would prohibit the future sale or transfer of semiautomatic rifles and large-capacity magazines. Any such firearms or ammunition, described clearly in the measure, owned at the time the act becomes effective, must be registered with the state, sold out of state, permanently disabled or can be given to law enforcement for disposal. The same safety measures will be applied to large-capacity magazines, defined as a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds."

So far it says 1 is going and 3 are interested.

The other group involved: Episcopal Diocese of Oregon

Looks like they've got a nice planned schedule for training, as I pointed out earlier located primarily in Portland/Eugene/Salem in another thread.

For the Lift Every Voice FB Group events: Sign IP43 Lift Every Voice Oregon

They too look to be going HAM in Portland/Eugene/Salem/Bend/Lake Oswego

When scouring Craigslist for IP43 or Petition signing or other such things I only find this:

portland community "IP 43" - craigslist

Good to see someones taking the counter.

Last Edited:
Update: More opportunities to receive free training!

Starting tonight in the North Portland area.
Take advantage of their generous offer to train all of US on how to collect signatures (and how to spot violations we can report). Hopefully we can use the training to get our own ballots in the future. NO need to go there and try to challenge them. Although if you do, make sure you present yourself in a way that makes them second guess their stereotypes and prejudice of us. Not everyone is a die-hard gun-control nut.

Note: This post is updated as they have added more information and more training opportunities.

------------------------------------------

Monday, June 11 in Portland at 7pm at Augustana Lutheran Church, 2710 NE 14th Ave. (corner of NE Knott and NE 15th Ave). Emphasis on youth involvement.

Tuesday, June 12th in Portland at 7pm at Westminster Presbyterian, 1624 NE Hancock.

Wednesday, June 13 in Salem at 7pm at St. Mark's Lutheran Church, 790 Marion St N.E.

Thursday, June 14 in Eugene at 7pm at First Christian Church, 1166 Oak St.

Tuesday, June 19 in Portland at 7pm at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, 147 NW 19th Ave.

Wednesday, June 20 in Bend at 7pm at Trinity Episcopal Church, 469 NW Wall St.

Thursday, June 21 in Lake Oswego at 7pm at Christ Church Episcopal Parish, 1060 Chandler Rd.

Saturday, June 23 in Ashland at 5pm at Rogue Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 87 4th St.

Good thread! Those who attend, please keep the rest of us advised as to where and how they plan to go to get the max number of signatures in one place. Here's what you can do: Go sign a petition - yes, do it. Only inadvertently misspell your name or mix up your address numbers. That will invalidate the entire page of signatures. And if you should have some memory problems as we all do from time-to-time, signing more than one petition will also create problems. As the libs say "any means to an end", which will very likely mean they'll violate every law they can to get the signatures on time. Gotta fight fire with fire folks. And, if this does get on the ballot, please be generous and donate as much as you can to the folks who will be providing signs, ads, etc. to stop the insanity.

The SoS now handles these differently. They now take a sample, then from that sample determine what percentage of bad signatures and apply it to all the sheets turned in. Don't sign anything not just for that reason (since it will likely backfire), but also because intentionally mis-signing a petition is illegal and it could allow the pro I43 forces to claim there has been a concerted illegal effort against them.

... Or "get free training on the initiative process and how/how-not to gather signatures!!"

I would encourage people to attend. Not only to get involved or "listen" to the other side, but to learn what they are doing first hand. And what not to do (i.e. how to monitor signature gathers later on. Or not). I know it will be hard to listen to so many people who, unfortunately, are being motivated by ignorance and fear to control the symbol of their fear. But I think we HAVE to get involved, and not rely on just the court challenges to succeed.

Bonus: if we get enough people trained now, in the future we can put our OWN ballots out there. There is nearly 80k on the Oregonians against assault weapon ban facebook page. And I bet they each know at least 2-3 people easy who would sign a ballot to protect our rights in the future.

Here is what I have so far. They are really trying to pull out all the stops on this one:

June 11, 7 PM, Portland, emphasis on youth involvement.
Augustana Lutheran Church, 2710 NE 14th Ave Portland OR 97212

June 13, 7 PM, Salem, St. Mark's Lutheran Church, 790 Marion St N.E. Salem, OR 97301

June 14, 7 PM, Eugene, First Christian Church, 1166 Oak St. Eugene, OR 9740

June 19, 7 PM, Portland, Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, 147 NW 19th Ave Portland OR 97209

June 20, 7 PM, Bend, Trinity Episcopal Church, 469 NW Wall St. Bend, OR 97701

And if you want to make it official, their signup page:

Gather Signatures

As always, please spread the word.

Anyone else notice the only meeting areas are in the areas that have large lib collages . I don't think they will get their game going in Roseburg. Their just trying to ride on the coattails of a tradgity.

UPDATES
June 22, 2018
PORTLAND ASSOCIATION OF TEACHERS ENDORSES IP43
"The Portland Association of Teachers supports IP43 because fear has no place in our schools. Our students have spoken- they know that this problem can be solved. America is the only country where mass-shootings are commonplace. Educators practice for these events with their students by barricading doors and hiding in closets. Mass murder in our schools is not a predetermined outcome that we must be prepared for — it is a consequence of decisions made by our elected leaders. We need legislation that we know will have an effect, like banning assault weapons. "

Jun 22, 2018
June 21, 2018
IP44 ON HOLD BUT IP43 IS MOVING FULL STEAM AHEAD!
The campaign to ban the sale of assault weapons in Oregon is moving full steam ahead! As IP43 awaits a decision from the Oregon Supreme Court, we are training hundreds of signature gathers who will be ready to roll as soon as we get the signal.

A recent decision by backers of IP44, a separate gun storage proposal, to put their campaign on hold is disappointing but does not deter us from our goal. We welcome supporters of IP44 to join us in making Oregon a safer place for everyone.

It will take all of us working together to get IP43 on the November ballot. To get updates and find out how you can help, visit www.lifteveryvoiceoregon.com.

Jun 21, 2018

Still time to join the free training, and find out what language/situations/nomenclature they fear the most.

• Friday, June 22 in Newport at 6pm at Newport Recreation Center, 225 SE Avery St. (Facebook event)
  • Saturday, June 23 in Ashland at 5pm at Rogue Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 87 4th St. (Facebook event)

• Sunday, June 24 in Portland at 12 noon at First United Methodist Church, 1838 SW Jefferson St. (Facebook event)

• Wednesday, June 27 in Beaverton at 6pm at Spirit of Grace Church, 7400 SW Sholls Ferry Rd. (Facebook event)
  • Wednesday, June 27 in Portland at 7pm at Ainsworth United Church of Christ, 2941 NE Ainsworth St.

Still time to join the free training, and find out what language/situations/nomenclature they fear the most.

• Friday, June 22 in Newport at 6pm at Newport Recreation Center, 225 SE Avery St. (Facebook event)
  • Saturday, June 23 in Ashland at 5pm at Rogue Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 87 4th St. (Facebook event)

• Sunday, June 24 in Portland at 12 noon at First United Methodist Church, 1838 SW Jefferson St. (Facebook event)

• Wednesday, June 27 in Beaverton at 6pm at Spirit of Grace Church, 7400 SW Sholls Ferry Rd. (Facebook event)
  • Wednesday, June 27 in Portland at 7pm at Ainsworth United Church of Christ, 2941 NE Ainsworth St.
I don't see Rosenberg on there anymore . It would probably be safe to assume the people of Rosenberg told them to take the b.s. somewhere else.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top