JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon Catalyst: Coos County: Vote YES for the Right to Bear Arms!

Catalyst-Feedburner-Logo.jpg

Coos County: Vote YES for the Right to Bear Arms!

Posted: 27 Oct 2015 05:00 AM PDT

handgun.jpg

by Rob Taylor

The Second Amendment Preservation Ordinance, or Measure 6-151 will be on the ballot for voters in Coos County, Oregon, on November 3, 2015.

If approved, this measure prevents the use of county resources to enforce certain restrictions on gun ownership. It would invalidate and void any law that violates provisions guaranteeing the right to bear arms in the U.S. Constitution and the Oregon Constitution.

Moreover, Measure 6-151 would prohibit the use of county funds or resources to enforce any law that impedes the right to bear arms, including, but not limited to, laws that establish:

§Registration requirements for legally owned firearms

§Prohibitions against "assault" type firearms

§Restrictions pertaining to magazine or clip capacity and ammunition type

§Background check requirements beyond those required as of December 2012

§Restrictions against possession, carry or transport of legally owned guns and ammunition

Measure 6-151 encourages the county sheriff to use existing discretionary authority to preclude any particular part of a law that violates the Second Amendment rights of the individual. The Sheriff already has the power to prioritize crimes according to the discretion of the office and the department already responds to calls based on the resources available. The Coos County Sheriff's department will not respond to a litany of crimes due to funding.

The sheriff currently uses discretionary authority to downgrade good laws to low, or no priority levels, so why not have the sheriff use that same authority to relegate a bad law.

Approval of the measure is not retroactive against criminal laws regarding firearms, meaning it does not nullify any criminal laws previously established.

However, its passage would apply to defunding the enforcement of Oregon Senate Bill 941 at the local level. Additionally, the initiative would institute fines of $2,000 per violation for individuals and $4,000 per violation for corporations for any efforts to enforce laws, rules, or policies prohibited by Measure 6-151.

It would be good thing to have a law that imposes punitive damages against any individual or corporation violating anyone's Second Amendment rights. All individual rights should have such a caveat.

Of course, criminals ignore the laws and enforcing prolonged background checks could, and has, prevented individuals from defending themselves from perpetrators committing the very crimes not enforced by an underfunded law enforcement agency, which might be the reason Coos County Sheriff, Craig Zanni, signed the petition.

Remember, the legislature in Salem passed SB941 and unnecessarily attached an "emergency clause" to it, so the people could not seek legal recourse through the filing of a public referendum. Challenging the state at the local level forces the issue to the courts, which can then determine the constitutionality of both laws. More importantly, maybe the representatives will learn the concerns of their constituents, so they can respond accordingly.

Support the right to bear arms by voting YES for the Second Amendment Ordinance, Measure 6-151. Sign-up at www.CoosCountyWatchdog.com to receive more information, or join the conversation on Facebook at <broken link removed> .

Rob Taylor is the founder of Coos County Watchdog, which is a virtual network of local activist.

Other Sources:

The Bend Bulletin:
http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/3622805-151/ballot-measure-in-coos-county-seeks-to-nullify

The Oregonian:
http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2015/10/can_an_oregon_county_void_gun.html

The World:
http://theworldlink.com/news/opinion/editorial/our-view-vote-no-on-county-second-amendment-law/article_3ab37946-dd74-5480-90a7-58dbbf3a1938.html

KCBY TV:
<broken link removed>

mLtHGaFgXXM?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email.gif

The MSM will ignore this as best they can. We should not.

http://ballotpedia.org/Coos_County_...ce"_Initiative,_Measure_6-151_(November_2015)

Measure 6-151 among other things:

"prohibited the use of county funds or resources to enforce any law that impedes the right to bear arms, including, but not limited to, laws which establish:
  • Registration requirements for legally owned firearms
  • Prohibitions against "assault" type firearms
  • Restrictions pertaining to magazine or clip capacity and ammunition type
  • Background check requirements beyond those required as of December 2012
  • Restrictions against possession, carry or transport of legally owned guns and ammunition
The measure was designed to give the county sheriff discretion over whether or not a particular law violated constitutional rights and, thus, would be precluded by Measure 6-151."

I would like to see word for word repetition among other counties. I know some like Linn, Lane etc have barred funding but this is an even greater slap to the state 'officials'.

I can't see how 5K people voted against it. What was their reasoning in such a rural county? Gun shop owners? Their friends and family? I mean who wouldn't if you had business money at stake.

6b832a7f-47f5-4cd3-807b-36602eeab7b6.jpg

Oregon's Only No Compromise Gun Rights Organization

In another stunning rebuke to the billionaire funded, anti-rights crazies, the people of Coos County have passed a Second Amendment Preservation Ordinance that nullifies dangerous and unconstitutional laws like SB 941.

Coos County Commissioner Bob Main is a strong supporter of gun rights, but the other two Commissioners, John Sweet and Melissa Cribben have served as nothing but road blocks to the defense of liberty, so the people went around them.

This effort, led by Coos County resident Rob Taylor, is one more nail in the coffin of lies spewed by the supporters of more restrictions on your civil liberties.

While the likes of <broken link removed> and Floyd Prozanski constantly parrot the false statistic that almost "90%" of Oregonians want more of their rights taken away, this measure passed with over 60% of the vote.

In a statement to OFF, Taylor said:

"There were many people involved in the process of gathering the signatures needed to put this measure on the ballot and all of them deserve a huge thank you for taking the time to defend the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

96907077-9fc9-4e04-a667-d32df685c342.jpg

Rob Taylor

Several of us who had worked together before decided back in February 2015 that Coos County should pass some law to counter the Background Check bill, SB941. This group of individuals approached the Board of Commissioners to ask them to enact a Second Amendment ordinance, but Commissioners Cribbins and Sweet refused. Since I am not a person to take no for an answer, especially from my employees/representatives, I organized a petition committee. Over the summer, we gathered enough signatures to put the ordinance on the ballot ourselves, and the county clerk approved the initiative for the November election,

Yesterday, election day, our measure won the election and now, The Second Amendment Preservation Ordinance is an official part of county code. Coos County is a "Sanctuary County" for legal gun owners. "

Taylor added:"Moral of the story, never underestimate what a small, determined, well-organized group of individuals can accomplish."

To which we can only say..."amen."

Predictably, the well funded and shrill extremists that live to destroy the Constitution have attacked the ordinance based on...the Constitution!

In a statement demonstrating once again just how delusional these people are, Ceasefire Oregon said:

"The fringe wing of the gun lobby has truly done a disservice to the taxpayers of Coos County. Clearly, counties cannot nullify state or federal law and they have no power to appoint the county sheriff to interpret the U.S. Constitution. This measure tells criminals they can buy guns in Coos County with impunity and puts the local taxpayers at risk for expensive lawsuits."

There probably is not enough time or space to dissect the sheer lunacy of that statement. The "gun lobby" did a "disservice to the taxpayers?"

The "taxpayers" passed the ordinance!

The "gun lobby" was a group of residents.

But it should not be a surprise when cult followers dig in as their cherished illusions crumble.

Robyn Thomas, Executive Director of the "Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence," said the measure "displays a gross misunderstanding of the U.S. Constitution." In a comical Huffington Post story, far left Portland lawyer Charlie Hinkle (yes he is still around it seems) said "Of course local officials can't decide what laws are constitutional. That's why Kim Davis went to jail, Even the president can't decide what's constitutional -- that's why a federal court enjoined his executive orders regarding immigration." (Sure, tell us about the president Charlie.)

But Hinkle, Thomas and their fellow travelers have been deafeningly silent on Oregon's violation of Federal drug laws and numerous Oregon cities openly refusing to enforce federal illegal immigration statutes.

Shameless hypocrisy is the calling card of the liars who work overtime to attack your rights.

We want to say a resounding THANK YOU to the people of Coos County for standing up to the bullying tactics of frauds like Hoyle and Prozanski who have shown allegiance only to out of state money. And of course, a very special congratulations to Rob Taylor and everyone involved in this incredible effort. You folks led the way.

Rob Taylor is the founder of CoosCountyWatchdog.com, which is a virtual network of local activists.

You know, all of the websites and Facebook pages for the various anti-gun groups here in Oregon that I peeked at this past week had angry posts condemning the people of Coos Bay for even putting this on the ballot.

But not a single one has updated their pages to note that the vote was successful!

On not one, but two Facebook pages, people from Portland vowed to never set foot in Coos County.

You know, all of the websites and Facebook pages for the various anti-gun groups here in Oregon that I peeked at this past week had angry posts condemning the people of Coos Bay for even putting this on the ballot.

But not a single one has updated their pages to note that the vote was successful!

On not one, but two Facebook pages, people from Portland vowed to never set foot in Coos County.

coos county is better without them there.

I applaud this vote in Coo's county!

I remember back in summer the county fair had a pro gun booth and I wish I could remember if they said our sheriff had no plans to enforce it or they wanted to get it on the ballet.. The guy running booth was running his mouth so much about a president canadiate he liked I can't remember what I signed the petition for. I hope other counties catch on and put similar laws in place for their county.

In both cases, the posters said that they would never set foot in Coos County, because they do not want to associate with "lawless people".

sad to hear that. im no genius but its sad to hear how many uneducated people there are out there on the subject. do they not realize that the same constitution that allows them to share their prescious feelings is also the same one that allows us to protect ourselves from tyranny? illegal search and seizure? our right to privacy? a fair trial? ....... etc.

these people just dont get it.

Effing unsocial media is the scourge of our nation. No name cowards spew crap like drunk/drugged idiots with vitriol boiling from their eyes & ears & fingers on their devices/keyboards. Zero reasoning ability, zero reasonable discussion.

In both cases, the posters said that they would never set foot in Coos County, because they do not want to associate with "lawless people".
Of course they are too drunk/drugged & ignorant of our Bill of Rights to ever remotely absorb what "shall not be infringed" even means. The anti-gunners of chairman hobama's leftanista's are the "lawless people". And these mental midget's 1A Rights will be next. What will they do when they can no longer vent on unsocial media unless they are "licensed (by the govt) urinalists"???

Makes my blood boil just thinking about what we're in for this coming year......:mad::mad::mad::mad:
One thing is for certain - we legal gun owners not only better be vigilant, but we better be MORE outspoken than the totalitarians & their ignorant minions trying to take power away from 2A and give it to the Statists!

It's going to take our time, our effort, and our money...

or we'll find black SUV's and traitor police - who value their pension over their duty to the Constitution - cleaning out our gun safe's.

There are no lawless people in Portland?

It feels good to be among the lawless people in Coos County.
My Thanks to everyone who worked and gave so much of themselves to get this measure on the ballot and to every lawless individual who voted Yes, for there right to keep and bear arms.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads