JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, Just had to tell someone that I finally got the press mounted and punched out my first 100 used primers from the brass that I cleaned last month. Used the Lee Universal deprimer tool to do the job. Took less than 15 minutes and I was busy wiping the smile off my face most of the time with one hand.

Got about 5000 more rounds to push primers out of..........:s0155:

Thanks to everyone who's helped in some way. I'm sure I"ll be asking for help again.

Congrats! I too have just started reloading not too long ago. It's definitely a good feeling when you reload your first couple of rounds and they shoot flawlessly at the range.

Are you doing crimped in military brass?

I have LC brass from 5.56 ammo. Not sure that I've seen any crimped yet although some that says LC has been a bit harder to push. Reason I bought the LEE was that it's supposed to be heavy duty and handles the crimped brass. I got the die and an extra punch pin for it for like $20.00. Great investment I think. Keeps my other dies clean for sizing.

The LC was/is originally crimped. I thought you "cleaned the brass last month".
Anyway, I hate seeing someone cranking the handle 5000 extra times for no reason.. the Lee universal is pretty heavy duty but so is their regular size/decap die.
Anyway, that's great that you got started.. it's a greatly rewarding hobby.

The LC was/is originally crimped. I thought you "cleaned the brass last month".
Anyway, I hate seeing someone cranking the handle 5000 extra times for no reason.. the Lee universal is pretty heavy duty but so is their regular size/decap die.
Anyway, that's great that you got started.. it's a greatly rewarding hobby.

I cleaned 100 pcs of brass last month just to see how the stainless media worked but now that I have a press operational I'll punch primers out first and then clean brass and then resize ( I understand that I"ll be pulling the handle extra times but.......... My wife's been helping some and it keeps her out of mischief when I'm not home.

All once fired 5.56 brass I've loaded has had crimped primers. They aren't just hard to push when reseating a primer it can actually damage the primer. A pocket reamer is the least expensive method to remove the original crimp but if you are loafing a lot of military brass a pocket swager is a faster and better solution though more money. You will find most things we do in reloading are more money though. Lol! Congrats on getting set up and running! It is a lot of fun.

buy some extra pins for that Lee de-capper,mine broke quite easily on some PMC brass,I was pretty disappointed. Guess I thought the slip nut would be adjusted from the factory,apparantly not.

John

As others have stated, if the pocket is crimped, you'll need to swage in order to seat a new primer. Pictured is what I use - Hornady handle / cutter assembly for about $15. Works really well.

Jason

cutter.jpg

cutter.jpg

John

As others have stated, if the pocket is crimped, you'll need to swage in order to seat a new primer. Pictured is what I use - Hornady handle / cutter assembly for about $15. Works really well.

Jason

View attachment 77573

I ordered a Lyman 6 pc kit that should cover large and small primers plus brass trimmer and deburring tool.

Thanks everybody for input.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top