JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yesterday, I took my coworker and his two boys out fishing and crabbing. They helped out the whole time, figured out how to tie leaders by watching and asking questions (imagine that), and cleaned my boat afterward. May have found the crew I've been looking for!

Last Edited:
Yesterday, I took my coworker and his two boys out fishing and crabbing. They helped out the whole time, figured out how to tie leaders by watching and asking questions (imagine that), and cleaned my boat afterward. May have found the crew I've been looking for!
Did they chip in for fuel?

Stay away from rocks !!! Bent Prop-8x.jpg Bent Prop-5x.jpg Two mangled props, one bent strut and one, maybe two bent shafts. The rudders look OK. Will know more after the surveyor has his look. These props are original. 40 + years old, been repaired once already. Hopefully they are a write off and become yard decorations. Now wonder it took 9 hours to idle back home from Stuart Is.

As a point of fact, no. But they paid for the launch fees, drinks, bait, and food. In reality, I probably don't burn $5-$10 fuel a day.
Oh that's not bad then. When I used to go out with my old fishing buddy his boat had a 351 Kodiak inboard. It drank fuel.

Oh man - when I was younger, single and had a boat I would always take a new 'date' out for a day on the lake. Lots of information one could gather from a 'lake date'.

One, it would give me an opportunity to see if she was really the 'outdoorsy' type she might have claimed to be.

Two, Daytime dates are not 'presumptuous' and with something like fishing I was not having to give all my attention to her and therefore could see how she handled not being the 'center of attention'.

Three, being an 'outdoors' date it gave me the opportunity to see the lady a little more 'naturally', such as light on makeup and more 'causal' - and sometimes in her swimsuit - or less......

If It went well I would make the offer of an informal dinner later after we each went home, cleaned up and changed.

Upside - while I paid for everything it was still sometimes cheaper than dinner and a movie - and I was on the lake and caught fish!

I didn't read all 7 pages, but I just want to remind everyone that they weren't in and out of the ramp in 2 min their first times. Lots of good "unwritten rules" here, but Id like to add "Patience for New Boaters" to the list.

Never take a gun collection fishing.
Unless equipped with a GPS and a suffiently strong magnet.
I agree with @po18guy . Given the high frequency of NWFA members who have lost all their guns in tragic boating accidents and the fact that we are apparently not more inclined than most to have boating accidents when unarmed or armed with just an EDC, the obvious inference is that having a gun collection in a boat and having a tragic boat accident are correlated. Correlation does not equal causation. But causation is one possibility. Might some gun owners, thinking they are fleeing a SHTF, toss every one of their guns in the boat plus thousands of rounds of ammo so they have several hundred pounds of easily shifted weight ready to unbalance and overturn the boat at the first big wave? Or might most guns have a secret desire to go off on their own hunting fish, and jump and shift around until they unbalance and turn over the boat and achieve their hearts desires? Maybe gun owners, fleeing the blue wave with all their guns to redder waters, in thinking about current politics vomit, faint, or wet themselves while steering (take your pick) and run into something. Or maybe guns left too long in the safe unloved and unshot become resentful and treasonous. ("Call me a 'Safe Queen' will ya. Well I'm out now and I ain't goin' back to no fvckin' safe! Take that!" Bang! Bang! BANG! (One shot into floor and one into gas tank. Final shot into gas puddle.))

Last Edited:
Still remember the old timers who would be hanging around the pier at one ramp on the Gulf coast of Florida. Magnolia Cottages. They were surprisingly ready to teach neat stuff to little kids. How best to catch all the kinds of fish that hang around under the pier with hand lines and whether they are good to eat or best for bait. How to catch crabs from the pier with a fish head tied to a line, a landing net, and a bucket. Crab grabs fish head and hangs on as long as you pull it up gently, then scoop it into the landing net before it emerges from water. A few would hang on so stubbornly that you could get 'em in the bucket without the net; but most would drop off the instant you tried to pull them out of the water. How to dig clans at low tide. The fast labor free way to cook clams. Just put them on a grill over fire or on rocks near fire. Clams would cook and shells would open. Scoop out meat with fingers, one big chunk. Flick off guts with one finger flip. Eat.

Oh man - when I was younger, single and had a boat I would always take a new 'date' out for a day on the lake. Lots of information one could gather from a 'lake date'.

One, it would give me an opportunity to see if she was really the 'outdoorsy' type she might have claimed to be.

Two, Daytime dates are not 'presumptuous' and with something like fishing I was not having to give all my attention to her and therefore could see how she handled not being the 'center of attention'.

Three, being an 'outdoors' date it gave me the opportunity to see the lady a little more 'naturally', such as light on makeup and more 'causal' - and sometimes in her swimsuit - or less......

If It went well I would make the offer of an informal dinner later after we each went home, cleaned up and changed.

Upside - while I paid for everything it was still sometimes cheaper than dinner and a movie - and I was on the lake and caught fish!
Dang! I never realized that you were such a romantic devil!

Dang! I never realized that you were such a romantic devil!
Oh man - I am HARDLY 'romantic' ! Heck I don't even 'look' romantic !

I just ran in 'circles' of friends who were always 'outdoorsy' (still do) and the ladies always had friends who were the same and oftentimes wanted to go camping, hunting, fishing etc. with the group and meetups took place 'causally'.

I have always been different in this respect and preferred taking a lady out for a 'daytime' date to say go hiking, fishing, boating etc. as opposed to the typical standard 'evening' date. But like I said a lot of this had to do with maintaining relationships with like minded, outdoor oriented 'types'.

My daughter however is still my best 'date' of all !

img20210510_18090354.jpg

Last Edited:

Very sensible. In addition, a long hike or boating excursion lets you see how the other person deals with minor discomfort and things that don't go quite as planned. Either can also tell you if the other person is capable of carrying on an interesting conversation as well as capable of companionable silence. What is the other person like when physically tired? Do they do their share of the less fun work like cleaning the fish? Or do they expect to be waited on? Or to do only the cleanest tasks such as gathering firewood. If they don't know how to gut and clean a fish, are they willing to learn? Are they easy with learning from you? Are you willing to learn from them?

Very sensible.
And ultimately I met, and married, the the woman who 'filled the bill' on all the things you mentioned only to have divorced later due to partly me being a bad husband (but not for the typical, 'common' reasons that are often the cause) but at the same time she was probably part of it as well.

Remember ? It takes 'Two to Tango' ?

I never remarried and am 'dealing with' a lot of mistakes I have made. Marriage is not for everyone and oddly I had a conversation about this specifically last weekend with a good friend of mine who just moved back to Central Oregon (from Medford) who is similar in this conundrum.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top