JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
85-86 to be exact.

This particular base didn't last long.
Well, that kinda sucks... Was that a base realignment closure or something?

Campo Darby is closed now. The Carabinieri pretty much run it now.
No more American civilian presence... No more American beach...
I have no idea how many servicemen/women are left there, if any.
I don't even know if it still has a mission. It was a huge ammo storage area.
I was there from 1969 to 1976, with a mandatory 2-year repatriation to Idaho Falls from 1973-1975.
Most funnest place I've ever lived. I was just a kid, in Italy of all places. It was quite literally Club Med!

Last Edited:
Well, that kinda sucks... Was that a base realignment closure or something?
Comiso Air Station was an 'odd' place. It was established as part of the 'then' GLCM program however when I was there there were no GLCMs in place and security was guarding empty buildings.

It was more like a 'resort' when I was there. We had beautiful new patrol vehicles, went to work each day/night and went home to our dorms.

The 'dining facility' had both an American side and an Italian side and most Americans dined at the Italian side and vice versa. And the Italian side had a Guinness Draft beer stand and it was like a $1.50 American for a 32 OZ mug! And the Italian side had excellent food.

We went to the beach on our days off, explored the country and lived like tourists.

I spent a lot of time in the local community and made a lot of 'friends' !

IMG_0247_3.jpg

Last Edited:
For the record, I used to manage some popular fast food restaurants back in the day. It's not an issue in the slightest, even when busy. If it is a hold up, I know for a fact it's not the customer's order that is the problem. (Those employees would get some focused training until they either figured it out, or got the boot)
I'm just speaking from how I feel about it. If I don't like the way a place makes their food I'm not going there. i don't expect them to cater to my special tastes. I will sometimes ask for very simple changes in the food. "extra onions", or "no cheese". That's it. I make my food at home the way I like it. 99.9% of the time.

I'm just speaking from how I feel about it. If I don't like the way a place makes their food I'm not going there. i don't expect them to cater to my special tastes. I will sometimes ask for very simple changes in the food. "extra onions", or "no cheese". That's it. I make my food at home the way I like it. 99.9% of the time.
If I wanted a custom sandwich, I'd go to Subway and have a "sandwich artist" make it.

Not really, I used to enjoy their Meatball sammie, but their products are always too much bread and salad and too little meat. And after Jared, they put the fiesty tennis player in as a spokes(person) and that LBGT anti-american futbol team traitor was the last straw. Grrrrrrrr!!!

If I wanted a custom sandwich, I'd go to Subway and have a "sandwich artist" make it.

Not really, I used to enjoy their Meatball sammie, but their products are always too much bread and salad and too little meat. And after Jared, they put the fiesty tennis player in as a spokes(person) and that LBGT anti-american futbol team traitor was the last straw. Grrrrrrrr!!!

Subway? Damn you guys REALLY need to eat better. :D

I honestly feel bad for you guys that think fishsticks, mcdonalds and subway are viable options for food. Lousy ingredients, terrible for you and tastes like greasy crap.

Not a lecture, at least not meaning to be. But geez guys eat a little better so you can be here at NWFA a little longer. :)

There was a time when Scrubway was pretty good for a 'fast food' style sammi but its been a couple years since I had one and to say the least it was pretty bad. I heard in the news a while back they were not doing well overall. Lots of better options anyway.

Their "refresh" was a failure and they are struggling as a company. Lousy offerings with lousy ingredients does that.

Personally the only time I eat fast food is when it is bought for me , unknowingly like maybe as a
group offering' and I will eat a minimal amount to be respectful but I have not paid for any of my own from any of the 'standard' FF places in many years - OTHER than one time as a 'test' for the new Chik Fil A in Bend a couple years ago. Eh, so so.

I honestly feel bad for you guys that think fishsticks, mcdonalds and subway are viable options for food. Lousy ingredients, terrible for you and tastes like greasy crap.

Not a lecture, at least not meaning to be. But geez guys eat a little better so you can be here at NWFA a little longer. :)
I don't want to be around after the country has been destroyed by fools and useful idiots.

Besides, I LOVE food that is bad for me!!!

How many kids do you have, just curious. I have several friends without kids that have all the time they need to prepare good food all the time and they are normally the most outspoken about it. As they age and have kids reality hits hard and they don't put as big as emphasis on it. We slipped into that style too but I've been working hard lately to lose some extra lbs (36 in the last three months). I'm not being confrontational, I'm just following my gut (no pun intended, lol)

How many kids do you have, just curious. I have several friends without kids that have all the time they need to prepare good food all the time and they are normally the most outspoken about it. As they age and have kids reality hits hard and they don't put as big as emphasis on it. We slipped into that style too but I've been working hard lately to lose some extra lbs (36 in the last three months). I'm not being confrontational, I'm just following my gut (no pun intended, lol)
I have one daughter. I raised her by myself from 9 months to graduation. My opinions are NOT from lack of experience.

I have one daughter. I raised her by myself from 9 months to graduation. My opinions are NOT from lack of experience.
Good on you! I'm normally fairly good at reading people, but you are an exceptional case, lol! Ever since my cancer diagnosis and daily chemo, food nutrition has become important again in my life.

Good on you! I'm normally fairly good at reading people, but you are an exceptional case, lol! Ever since my cancer diagnosis and daily chemo, food nutrition has become important again in my life.

Nutrition, diet and exercise became more important to me when I watched my father die over a 12 month period from drinking, poor diet and general poor health. I ditched the sauce, the lousy fast food and started working out every day once he went into hospice. He would tell me I was too old and I should be taking it easy from his death bed. I'm doing the opposite.

I'm in the best shape I've been in 20 years. I apologize for my thread drift on this, I hold it close to my chest, so to speak.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top