JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone ever seen in person or heard an account like mine of mountain lions crashing through the brush? Because I had never heard of that before. Always thought they were full on stealth mode creatures 24/7/365.

The first one I talked about in my earlier post I never laid actual eyes on eyes on. But considering how fast I was hauling butt down that hill on my bike I really don't see how it could have been anything else. The 2nd one I saw plain as day. Tromping through the brush making a ton of racket.

Yes, you want an insight on cougars, just study your house cat. Killing for sport was mentioned. That applies to all meat eating predators I've been around. Few years too long ago, when the CA sea lions set up shop below Bonneville, there was a meeting at Hatfield MSC to discuss what should be done. After relating my lifetime experience of watching them eat the fish off my gear, I happened to mention watching them kill for sport..bite belly...shake...let go...repeat. The sea lion experts were perplexed, because evidently they'd never seen or heard of it before. "That's not what we see at Bonneville !" Some of you see why my fuse is so short?...and see why I don't trust "science" anymore.
:eek: My experience has been that it isnt SCIENCE per se- but mostly the govt agents who use "science" to interfere with people's lives and property... science as a tool of control... "We're from the government and we're here to help you" sort of thing...

:eek: My experience has been that it isnt SCIENCE per se- but mostly the govt agents who use "science" to interfere with people's lives and property... science as a tool of control... "We're from the government and we're here to help you" sort of thing...
The whole "climate change" boondoggle is simple government grant money grabbing run amuck to the point that it's a hedonistic religion and not science at all.
Just look how Al Gore personally cashed in on that.. he should be ashamed.. etc.

U
Anyone ever seen in person or heard an account like mine of mountain lions crashing through the brush? Because I had never heard of that before. Always thought they were full on stealth mode creatures 24/7/365.

The first one I talked about in my earlier post I never laid actual eyes on eyes on. But considering how fast I was hauling butt down that hill on my bike I really don't see how it could have been anything else. The 2nd one I saw plain as day. Tromping through the brush making a ton of racket.
That sounds more like a bear, or if the rut was on, a bull elk.

Actually when we were camping with the Boy Scouts, we would tie the packs together with the pots/pans on the outside - if a bear tried to grab a lone pack and take off, it would wake us up and we would all scream and throw rocks at the bears - they're not real afraid of humans but they have been conditioned to go for "easy pickings" and we were clearly "not it".

They also taught us that it we DO see a mountain lion, to hold your pack in front of you and slowly back-up down the trail - the one cardinal rule - DO NOT RUN and DO NOT TURN YOUR BACK on the animal
Don't kneel either(Are you listening NFL?) That vid posted a few pages back showed him kneeling with his back turned, but kneeling in itself will get you into trouble.

Where I live we see them pretty often I was out near glide one day and we saw a movement and was a Cougar and her kits. man I froze as she was only about maybe 200yards away thats not far when there kits are with them, luckily she was way preoccupied with them trying to get them across a creek. They are unpredictable. Think about it........Humans hunt and kill for sport and food.....
same same any questions ?? I could tell a few stories of spotting them as we have seen them allot.
Funny one was we were heading home on the dirt road to the ranch and laying in the middle of the road sleeping was a huge cougar.
She leaned up looked at us, and curled back to sleep. She was not injured just sleeping and could care less about us being there as we had to drive around her to get to the house. lol They are not predictable at all, they will hunt you, kill you, eat you or ignore you who wants to roll the dice ????

U

That sounds more like a bear, or if the rut was on, a bull elk.
Used to ride my mountain bike in both of these areas. I was hauling butt down a trail in the area circled in red and I thought I heard some crashing in the brush. I stopped and listened. Definitely heard a bunch and then it stopped. I thought maybe it was a transient bum guy or something and took back off. Way down the hill I heard the same thing again. I stopped and got ready to try to defend myself. The crashing stopped again and didn't resume. After sitting for a few minutes with my eyes peeled I got the heck out of there. Don't think I went back after that.
View attachment 461623
Fast forward about 15 years. Here not too far from downtown Spokane I heard a bunch of crashing through the brush. I went to the edge of this little cliff and looked down to see a big old cat! I immediately remembered the noise from Corvallis. No doubt in my mind I was being pursued by a cougar.

I always figured they would be stealthy, good thing these 2 weren't.

I can't imagine it as an elk. I suppose the first one could have been a bear, but the 2nd was absolutely a non-stealthy cougar just crashing through the brush. I've seen a bunch of elk and deer out in the woods. Never had any follow me!

I can't imagine it as an elk. I suppose the first one could have been a bear, but the 2nd was absolutely a non-stealthy cougar just crashing through the brush. I've seen a bunch of elk and deer out in the woods. Never had any follow me!
One you saw is a given, but they usually don't make much noise moving in brush. Maybe he/she was blind in one eye, or epileptic, who knows. Now bulls and bucks are really unpredictable in the rut (Sept. & Oct.), and could be trying to chase or run off a fast moving competitor (biker)... and you may be surprised at how many monster bulls live in those oak tree foothills of the Coast Range.

I've seen the photos and video as well as the story that somebody I know went to his back porch in this area... and momma kitty bolted from under the porch. Kitten kitty was on the porch earlier that morning. This is within the last three weeks.

photo via the video from inside the house of the 'kitten.'

View attachment 461522 View attachment 461523

I've seen cats just west on the university in the fields in Corvallis. They were known to kill deer just up the hill between the condos. If you live in the sticks and don't consider you're living in their range you're being foolish

I've seen cats just west on the university in the fields in Corvallis. They were known to kill deer just up the hill between the condos. If you live in the sticks and don't consider you're living in their range you're being foolish
Cougars, and other predators, go where the food supply is - just as scientists go where the grant money is ; government and ngo's. Cougars have evolved to their surroundings - just as true, honest science has evolved to being a political conclusion favoring those who pays the most for it.

Vancouver Island has the most cougars per square mile in North America. There have been instances of them strolling thru parking garages and stores in Victoria. They are dangerous, being unafraid of humans. The snowflakes have passed laws we cannot carry in National Forests, they have no concept of the hazards you can encounter. Look the idiots want to introduce wolves (they have) and now grizz bears in northern Washington. I've always carried in forests here, two leg varmints are :rolleyes:sometimes encountered. Cheerio, Spad:)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-killed-biker-injured-another-was-emaciated/

" S.J. Brooks and Isaac Sederbaum did what they were supposed to do, authorities say. They made loud noises to scare the cougar away. One of them even struck the animal with a bicycle.
But none of it worked. The big cat that had been following the two friends as they were mountain biking in rural Washington state pounced, lunging at Sederbaum's head and killing Brooks, whom the animal mauled in its den.
The attacks Saturday morning — the first fatal one in the state in nearly a century ... "

11 a.m. Saturday.

near North Bend, a foothills town 30 miles from Seattle

NorthBend-cougar-attack-WEB.jpg

Cats like to chase moving stuff... especially if they don't look behind themselves regularly.

Bicyclists should carry guns just like everyone else that goes out and about, especially in the woods.

Cats like to chase moving stuff... especially if they don't look behind themselves regularly.

Bicyclists should carry guns just like everyone else that goes out and about, especially in the woods.

As do dogs. Every dog I ever had chase me on my bike or motorcycle, stopped when I stopped.

Sometimes I even turned around and chased the dog - then they ran away. But yes, sometimes, rarely - but sometimes, a gun might be necessary.

FWIW, a lot more (10X) people are killed by pet/feral dogs than are killed by cougars and bears combined. Man's best friend? :s0092:

Of course there are a lot more dogs than there are bears and cougars, but the risk is still much higher because of the number of dogs and their familiarity with humans (and vice versa).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top