JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't read the list, but maybe they meant 38 Auto and 38 Super Auto?
From the list, page 4.

38 Special

357 Magnum
380 Automatic

From the SAAMI website:
SAAMI was founded in 1926 at the request of the federal government and tasked with creating and publishing industry standards for safety, reliability, and interchangeability standards for commercial manufactures of firearms, ammunition, and components.

Enuff said.....

Last Edited:
Watching some video's on you tube where people stick all kinds of ammo into various chambers its surprising how strong some firearms really are. I was watching where they put .45 colt into a 410 single shot shotgun and fired it with no problem and then proceeded to shoot a 454 casull without blowing it up. (all tied to a tire and fired with a string to the trigger) To think that bullet of .454 came out a .410 hole without blow it up is amazing. The chamber area was really thick because it's outside diameter was the same as a 12 gauge. They shot 30-30 shells wrapped with masking take inside a Russian 7.62x54r and loaded it with 2400 as I recall. Just crazy stuff like that. 🤣

wait wut....?

whats the difference between 9mm Luger and 9x19 nato?
The service pressure Pmax of the 9 mm NATO is rated at 252 MPa (36,500 psi) where CIP rates the 9 mm Luger Pmax somewhat lower at 235 MPa (34,100 psi). The 315 MPa (45,700 psi) proofing test pressure used in the NATO 9 mm proof test, however, equals the proofing test pressure used in the 9 mm Luger CIP proof test.

So.. realistically, both rounds have the same proofing test pressures; but the NATO one was designed for SMGs and the Luger design is original, for the majority of handguns made between the introduction of 9mm Luger and the SMG developments.. in short, a P08 and Browning High Power for the most part aren't rated for NATO rounds if made before ww2. Some 9mm handguns wouldn't be able to take the NATO pressures but I don't know which ones.. just what the mfgrs will say.. nice thing for the Hi Points.. the carbines shoot better with the NATO rounds :D

And I can testify to the fact shooting 9mm in a .40 S&W isn't going to hurt you!
At least I don't see how it could hurt you, or the gun for that matter. All it does is unevenly balloon out the case, and not cycle. The bullet tumbled into the target about a foot low. ?YMMV.

Edit: Something I hadn't considered has been brought up below. It CAN lead to some pretty hairy consequences if a person isn't paying close attention.
Rented a Beretta and Sig P229 from a range to compare. The range guy brings them over. I bought their ammo and I was off. The Sig ran great but the Beretta kept doing single shots. Turned out he'd given me the 40 cal Beretta. He said he didn't know they even had one and I didn't check.

He said, no need to mention it when you leave. You are right as the cases do Ballon out but otherwise everything thing seemed OK. I only shot a few rounds.

The service pressure Pmax of the 9 mm NATO is rated at 252 MPa (36,500 psi) where CIP rates the 9 mm Luger Pmax somewhat lower at 235 MPa (34,100 psi). The 315 MPa (45,700 psi) proofing test pressure used in the NATO 9 mm proof test, however, equals the proofing test pressure used in the 9 mm Luger CIP proof test.

So.. realistically, both rounds have the same proofing test pressures; but the NATO one was designed for SMGs and the Luger design is original, for the majority of handguns made between the introduction of 9mm Luger and the SMG developments.. in short, a P08 and Browning High Power for the most part aren't rated for NATO rounds if made before ww2. Some 9mm handguns wouldn't be able to take the NATO pressures but I don't know which ones.. just what the mfgrs will say.. nice thing for the Hi Points.. the carbines shoot better with the NATO rounds :D
sigh, leave it to the military to confuse things up. Like the Luger just wasn't enough to design a SMG around. Like the 223 wasnt an equal to the 556...
whatever.

I think I shot some 9x19 out of a Beretta 92 years ago. Luckily everything in the stores is Luger.

Watching some video's on you tube where people stick all kinds of ammo into various chambers its surprising how strong some firearms really are.
Yea I have seen some of the same.

Can people ever just go out and shoot sanely, sportingly and not turn it into some sort of explosive, destructive endeavor ?

Kind of like the guy who lost his leg because he shot at a lawnmower packed with explosives? Oh , and while he was wearing his 'tacticool' vest and blazing away?

It sickens me sometimes to see what some people do for nothing more than to blaze away with their 'bullet hoses' to satisfy their twisted desires.

Last Edited:
sigh, leave it to the military to confuse things up. Like the Luger just wasn't enough to design a SMG around. Like the 223 wasnt an equal to the 556...
whatever.

I think I shot some 9x19 out of a Beretta 92 years ago. Luckily everything in the stores is Luger.
Hahaha, well I know Winchester sold 9mm NATO white box ammo, with the word "NATO" all over it in bold print. A lot of reman ammo were loaded to NATO specs, so be on the lookout for such at gun shows; some may be dangerously high pressure.. that said, I've not had a problem with the various 9mm ammo I've shot over the years.. but then again, my 9mm handgun is a Ruger P85; which was designed for NATO and is +P rated I believe.

4 commercial versions of 9mm Parabellum I know of..

9mm Luger, standard

9mm NATO, hotter/higher pressure

9mm +P , hotter/,higher pressure than Luger, may be hotter than NATO, may be same, conflicting reports on the internets.

9mm +P+, hottest/highest pressure. More pressure than NATO for sure.

Last Edited:
Hahaha, well I know Winchester sold 9mm NATO white box ammo, with the word "NATO" all over it in bold print. A lot of reman ammo were loaded to NATO specs, so be on the lookout for such at gun shows; some may be dangerously high pressure.. that said, I've not had a problem with the various 9mm ammo I've shot over the years.. but then again, my 9mm handgun is a Ruger P85; which was designed for NATO and is +P rated I believe.

4 commercial versions of 9mm Parabellum I know of..

9mm Luger, standard

9mm NATO, hotter/higher pressure

9mm +P , hotter/,higher pressure than Luger, may be hotter than NATO, may be same, conflicting reports on the internets.

9mm +P+, hottest/highest pressure. More pressure than NATO for sure.
If you can find it, (and I hear Fiochi makes a small batch sometimes), 9mm Glisenti has the same dimensions as 9mm. Lower pressure. Probably would work fine in a 9mm though might not cycle. The other way around can definitely go boom.

1: I didn't try a .40 in a 9mm chamber. But a 9mm falls right in!

2: It's the other way around as I understand it. 7.62 X 51 is a lower pressure round than .308. I did a good amount of reading on it as I picked up a BM59 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_BM_59 which is a Garand action with the on op-rod. There is a caution against using the higher pressure .308 round as there is a chance of ripping the rim off due to a more violent action. 7.62 X 51 brass is also a little thicker/beefier.
#1 above they are saying that for a firearm chambered for 9mm to not use 40 S&W, not the other way around. That's why I questioned that the 1mm larger round could even be chambered.
1617417799654.png

#2 above I poorly articulated the use of a 308 Winchester cartridge in a rifle chambered for 7.62x51 for the pressure differences mentioned above. Apologies for the confusion,

And I can testify to the fact shooting 9mm in a .40 S&W isn't going to hurt you!
At least I don't see how it could hurt you, or the gun for that matter. All it does is unevenly balloon out the case, and not cycle. The bullet tumbled into the target about a foot low. ?YMMV.
Um, yeah... I've done that... :oops:

And the case is a b*tch to get out, too...

Last Edited:
I've shot a few "brown bag reloads" but I knew the guy who reloaded them. He's long dead now but I still have a few around here to shoot up. It was my brothers father in law who passed away decades ago. I saw some of the reload dates on the boxes and some were back in the late 50's. He wrote down the load data on the box so I know what the load was. It was on the hot side of todays load data as they didn't have as many attorneys back then. I say a little prayer whenever I shoot them. They're all 30-06 loads and I shoot them in a high number Springfield so I figure it's reasonably safe. 🙄

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top