Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

unrhetorical .270

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by thorborg, Feb 12, 2014.

1. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

30 years of nearly monthly handloading does not an expert make. Your experience is needed if you please comenting on a seemingly obvious problem.
    I've finally run out of my 100 gr nosler bullets in .270 spitzer (@$14.50/50 from GI Joes no less) just can't find them anywhere.
    95 or 110 seem to be my choice.
    There are a few offerings of 6.8mm Remington's in 100 gr. available.
    Ok here is the dumb question; Since both the 6.8 and .270 are .277 dia bullets, are they interchangeable? Seems logical, though the 6.8 100 gr. have no canalure, but since I don't crimp I don't think this should drag me down. Am I mising something, this looks to be rather srtraight forward.
    Comments please.

2. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

should be no problem as long as the jacket is rated for the 270 velocities

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

For paper and varmints I'd think they'd probably work fine but since the .270 will push them way faster than the 6.8, they'd probably come apart on larger/big game.. the 6.8's are likely more lightly constructed so as to assure expansion at its velocities.
    Buy a small lot (50-100) and try them on paper.

4. SinisterSouthpaw

SinisterSouthpaw SW WA Active Member

You might try these guys who are listing your bullet as being in stock. I buy a lot of bullets from them--psst! the price has gone up a little.

Powder Valley, Inc.

5. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

"6.8 bullets" are limited to certain (ideal) weight/length for COAL reasons to fit in AR magazine would be my best guess.

6. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thanks All for the inpu,t Looks like Powder valley has Speer but not Nosler but the price isn't all that bad considering the times so I'll give them a try.