JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh no I don't believe that. That's what I said "there is a record with the state". The guy who shot up the coffee shop in Seattle was proof there was.
They told the police what guns he may have from what he had used his carry permit to buy..........in the 80's.
Yeah there is a trail if you have a carry permit for sure.
Still not a registry,per say

There was also a shooting recently where the police contacted the DOL and used their " records " for the investigation. There was a thread here about it.

Not much too add as far as the OP goes.

Lets all work together and make sure we can continue to sale private property without government permission first. Would love to kill the white form as well...

And you believe that they don't keep a record, right? I don't trust the government THAT much!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level

"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

I believe they can't find their butts with both hands, therefore "records" are probably harder to find than a virgin in oregon.

I do not credit public employees with an over abundance of intelligence or willingness to actually work.

I knew this guy when I lived in Lewis County. He had a cpl but all his pistols were bought before hand..... so they can only assume you have a pistol since you bought the license right?
Now me, I know my EBR lower is on a list because I bought it through an FFL from Aero P. Even though it is "registered" as a rifle. I am guessing BATF has a memory longer than the IRS but that's just my thoughts.
Buy a rifle/ shotgun from Walmart...serial number gets written down??? I wouldn't know.

Brutus Out

You are talking about lots of different things here.

In our area CPL's are not linked to specific firearms so it just means you have a permit. In some states you have to have the specific guns you want to carry listed on the license.

Just where is your EBR "registered"? With who? How did it happen?

When you by ANY firearm from ANY FFL you fill out a Form 4473 which has your info as well as the firearm(s) information you bought on it. Here is a copy of that form and includes all the information about what each box is for, http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf This form is ONLY a record of sale. Basically if a gun gets "traced" they start where it was made, then it is easy from that book to see where it went next, usually a wholesaler. Then from there to the next buyer, usually the selling FFL. After that they can find the 4473 (at the FFL unless they are closed) and trace it to that buyer. After that there is NO way to "trace" it like that. Say that buyer sells it, there is NO way for them to know where the gun is, IF it was registered they would know who should have it at all time. If the first buyer remembers where he sold it and wants to tell then that will take them to the next step. Even if the gun changes hands 5 times and an FFL is used there is NO way for the ATF to "trace" it. They would have to work forward from where the gun was made, and/or backward from wherever it was recovered.

In WA there is the "blue form" that you do with handguns. It works exactly the same as the Form 4473. It ONLY shows the record of sale to the initial buyer.

So YES there is a record, but NO it is not registration. With registration you would have to have registration paperwork like your car, do you have that? IF it was registered you would not be able to sell/buy without doing "transfer of ownership paperwork", do you have to do that? IF it was registration then the state/fed would know exactly where the gun should be and who the owner should be, is that the case?

Nwcid, you seem to have given this some thought. I do follow the registration logic.

Still don't like the white form. ( or pink, or blue - Application to transfer triplicate )

On a side note;

Can a WA state law enforcement agency determine wether or not a person has a CPL or is a firearms owner when running said persons name via his mobile data terminal ?

How about dispatch, do they advise this over radio ?

How about Oregon ?

I have wondered this since I got here. Not sure how they could tell the later as it is my understanding the state does nothing with the application to transfer forms. I would be surprised if they are not digitized and very accessible to the right folks though.

It is not thought, it is what it is, and is not what it is not. I own Title 1 firearms which are NOT registered but some of which have a record of sale to me, so some which I have long since sold. I also own Title 2 firearms which ARE registered to me.

I have heard rumors that on the MDT (car computers) they can see if you have a permit. I have NEVER heard them just randomly announce that a person has a CPL, unless it has to do directly with the situation. Same with firearms, it has been a long time since I have had one "run" but even then the ONLY information that comes back is "stolen or not stolen". Since there is NO registration there is no way to say who does and who does not own what.

I am not saying I like the forms either. All I am saying is make yourself educated on what you are fighting for/against. Look at the recent thread on the "die in"......

It is not thought, it is what it is, and is not what it is not. I own Title 1 firearms which are NOT registered but some of which have a record of sale to me, so some which I have long since sold. I also own Title 2 firearms which ARE registered to me.

I have heard rumors that on the MDT (car computers) they can see if you have a permit. I have NEVER heard them just randomly announce that a person has a CPL, unless it has to do directly with the situation. Same with firearms, it has been a long time since I have had one "run" but even then the ONLY information that comes back is "stolen or not stolen". Since there is NO registration there is no way to say who does and who does not own what.

I am not saying I like the forms either. All I am saying is make yourself educated on what you are fighting for/against. Look at the recent thread on the "die in"......

I have heard the same rumors about both Washington and Oregon. No clue how they would run my Washington ID in Oregon and show that I have a non resident CHL but who knows ?

Not that it really matters just curious.

Unfortunately I know all about registration as I was a avid firearms collector, and a native Californian, at the same time. We had a handgun registration that the liberals in Olympia could only dream about, never mind the assault weapons registration. This was a truly run your name and know what you own system.

Interesting story about that I have btw. The system they were using in Sacramento was so antiquated the data entry folks could not enter special characters.

Example;

I was the proud owner of a S&W model 193 4 inch .357 mag.

:D

Among other interesting entries....

Things also got interesting when you sold a registered gun to another person via a dealer transfer thus registering the gun to them.

Let's just say the gun is still associated with your name. Presumably forever.

Sorry for the thread jack OP.

It's a gun. So WHAT?
You require NOTHING for ANYTHING unless the person your transferring it to is a felon or or otherwise prohibited person or you're transferring it out of state.

Period. End of Story.

There are slightly more complex laws for transferring a handgun than transferring a hammer. But not a lot.

Gt over it, give it to whoever you want, no one cares.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top