JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new Rock Island .45, I have run about 300 rounds through it and the gun fires flawlessly, I like the way it shoots and all that. My problem im having is when im unloading it (its my carry gun and I clean it weekly) after dropping the mag and racking the slide back it will not eject the round, the extractor is pulling the round from the chamber as it should but the ejector will not pop the round out, I have to pull the slide back and lock it and get the round out manually. any suggestions on what i may be able to do short of sending it back to the factory would be great.

Normally without a magazine in the gun and without having fired the gun the round will fall down through the magazine well. If it's sticking against the loading block then it sounds like you have extractor tension issues.

Normally without a magazine in the gun and without having fired the gun the round will fall down through the magazine well. If it's sticking against the loading block then it sounds like you have extractor tension issues.

Which is akin to saying the extractor is pranged or needs tuning.. especially if it's the one piece original 1911 type, as I believe the RI has

If you are carrying this gun daily you need to get something done. I carried a 1911 (Colt, Detonics or Para P14) for 18 years as my primary duty gun and if there is one thing I know, it's when you need a gun, you need it to work. I have always used Richard Niemer as my pistolsmith. he currently works for Olympic Arms down near Lacey, Wash as their chief pistolsmith. If you are an LEO in Pierce or Thurston County and you carry a 1911, this is the guy that keeps them running at 100%. There are lots of other people who work on 1911's and I saw a lot of them in classes taught by Niemer on 1911's. I don't know the turn around time for sending a 1911 back to Rock Island, but it's not as fast as a phone call of visit to Richard.

If you are carrying this gun daily you need to get something done. I carried a 1911 (Colt, Detonics or Para P14) for 18 years as my primary duty gun and if there is one thing I know, it's when you need a gun, you need it to work. I have always used Richard Niemer as my pistolsmith. he currently works for Olympic Arms down near Lacey, Wash as their chief pistolsmith. If you are an LEO in Pierce or Thurston County and you carry a 1911, this is the guy that keeps them running at 100%. There are lots of other people who work on 1911's and I saw a lot of them in classes taught by Niemer on 1911's. I don't know the turn around time for sending a 1911 back to Rock Island, but it's not as fast as a phone call of visit to Richard.

I've talked to him out there about another issue.. he's an ace gunsmith and knows a lot about the 1911 platform. If anyone can make it perk he can

Aside from Blitz's inquiry, you don't happen to have a shock-buff in it... do you?

No shock buff and I cant get a good pic with my crappy phone, I watched my buddy drop the mag in his .45 that is identical to mine and rack the slide and it popped the round out about head high, I actually have to either shake the gun around to get it to drop or just lock the slide back and remove it by hand.

Good Luck SturgeonSlayer. Make sure you ask for Niemer by name, he is in the pistol shop.
I'm guessing that St Helens is the Mt St Helens area of Washington, so you're not that far off from him.
Let us know how it turns out...
Wileyjackhammer

Sounds like extractor tension. Pull the firing pin stop and firing pin. Remove the extractor until the last half inch or so is still in the channel. Use your thumb to press the back of the extractor away from the center of the slide. A dab'll do ya. If this doesn't work, you'll need to reprofile the extractor head.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top