JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why would anyone carry concealed on their own property?
So as to not alarm the neighbors who are Karens and cause them to unnecessarily call the cops. Another reason is to not give away the element of surprise.

I think in the city you are generally ok as curtilage would usually apply - city lots not being that large. when you have acreage like mine, then it can be an issue, but I don't care; the only time I have seen LEOs on my private road is when they came here to ask us to evacuate due to the fire, and those were county LEOs who don't really care about landowners carrying concealed on their own property.

Why would anyone carry concealed on their own property?
Like my previous disclaimer, I possess a CHL, but in my younger days, before I had a CHL, I could have been "classified" as concealing a handgun. All it takes is a OWB holster and a jacket. I've been doing that in the woods since I was 17 or so.

I can't read. So I carry everywhere I go. Everywhere. I like the places that have pictures of guns on the doors. I know I am welcome there. It gives me a warm and fuzzy.

Where is unlicensed concealed carry legal and where is it not when it comes to private property? I would assume you can legally conceal carry without a permit on your own property? What about a grocery store, a mall, a resort, private timber land, etc. I understand property owners may haves rules against it but I am asking about where the concealed carry permit is required.

" The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Carried a rifle since i was 8 to the school range, and everywhere else.
Carried a pistol when i was 12 ,until this day.
Never had a "Permit".
I was given the right to defend myself since I was born.
Anyone trying to take a God given birth right away will be using force.
You can live as a slave in a cage or die free.

day to day true, but thats not what matters all it would take is the property owner being involved in a self defense shooting on their property. Lots of gun owners think they can threaten to use deadly force on trespassers when they cant.
THIS! MANY get themselves in a real jam by showing a gun and or making threats to a trespasser. This is a REAL good way to get in a bad spot. I have to run people off from the place I watch now and again. I am of course armed BUT, the people I am running off never see the gun or even hear me say I have it. For the gun to come into play they would have to be threatening me. For those who do not wish to leave when told I just call the LEO's. Let them explain it to the few hold outs who think they do not have to leave when told to.

THIS! MANY get themselves in a real jam by showing a gun and or making threats to a trespasser. This is a REAL good way to get in a bad spot. I have to run people off from the place I watch now and again. I am of course armed BUT, the people I am running off never see the gun or even hear me say I have it. For the gun to come into play they would have to be threatening me. For those who do not wish to leave when told I just call the LEO's. Let them explain it to the few hold outs who think they do not have to leave when told to.
I've rarely run into trespassers, but the last time it was nice out and there was no jacket to cover the gun on my hip. I kept space between them and myself incase I needed to draw, but I never once mentioned it or acted like I was going to draw it. They saw. They knew. And I took their pictures.;)

Unlicensed concealing is a misdemeanor, but if you actually needed it i can only guess a prosecutor is going to have a heyday using that charge against you as if you had bad intent to begin with...

Unlicensed concealing is a misdemeanor, but if you actually needed it i can only guess a prosecutor is going to have a heyday using that charge against you as if you had bad intent to begin with...
@Koda hits the main reason that I decided many years ago to get and keep a CHL.

I've carried concealed for most of my adult life, always with a CHL. Even back when I got my first CHL, it was clear that without it, I'd have a much tougher time defending myself legally in a SD shooting off of my property.

NOW - in the 2020's, it's a given where I live that in a SD shooting I WILL be prosecuted, even if the prima-facie evidence clearly supports that the shooting was SD. The Rittenhouse case, and many other contemporary SD shootings, demonstrate this reality - it is the norm, NOT the exception.

I'm going to possibly be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend myself and not having a CHL in a SD shooting off my property is only going to increase the expense of my defense AND increase the odds that I won't win with an argument of SD in court.

At the very LEAST this kind of situation could create financial ruin for MY FAMILY. So, even though I have the "right" to carry uninfringed, I decided I was willing to apply for a CHL and spend a fifty to a hundred bucks every four years to renew it if that would mitigate some (not all) of the risk of ruin.

I carry so I have one of multiple tools that will give me a fighting chance to survive a deadly encounter.

I have a CHL so I'll have one of many tools to give me a fighting chance to survive the inevitable court battle if I'm involved in a SD shooting.

I respect the people who have chosen different paths, as everyone's situation is different.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Last Edited:
I'd say if you need a gun on your own property, the Prosecutor will have other issues to consider before going that far down "the list" for that one.
Also, HUGE difference in what county or city it all goes wrong. Portland and Mult Co. ? Yer screwed no matter what. Get a little farther away and it's more likely the prosecutor is going to be on your side dealing with the trespassers that started the whole thing. Especially if the landowner didn't start it, just finished it.

Don't forget, the question is unlicensed carry on PRIVATE property. My assumption is that it's MY property. Once you leave your own property all of my bets are off.

Don't forget, the question is unlicensed carry on PRIVATE property. My assumption is that it's MY property. Once you leave your own property all of my bets are off.
Concealed carry on private property is no different than any carry on public property, no different in your front yard than if you were down town.

I've rarely run into trespassers, but the last time it was nice out and there was no jacket to cover the gun on my hip. I kept space between them and myself incase I needed to draw, but I never once mentioned it or acted like I was going to draw it. They saw. They knew. And I took their pictures.;)
I learned long ago that the camera is far more intimidating to a trespasser than a firearm. Once I took their picture, they knew that they were identifiable, and from then on, they had lost the chance to "disappear." I made sure to communicate that I kept a file of the photos, and could prove that they had been warned not to repeat trespass. Vocal complaints about taking their picture often were strident. Probably because of outstanding warrants.

The fact that I am obviously armed, but do not threaten anything but legal action, discourages them from trying to escalate the contact.

I learned long ago that the camera is far more intimidating to a trespasser than a firearm. Once I took their picture, they knew that they were identifiable, and from then on, they had lost the chance to "disappear." I made sure to communicate that I kept a file of the photos, and could prove that they had been warned not to repeat trespass. Vocal complaints about taking their picture often were strident. Probably because of outstanding warrants.

The fact that I am obviously armed, but do not threaten anything but legal action, discourages them from trying to escalate the contact.
Body cam - i.e., video, even better

Best money ever spent. Ever since Wife bought me that first one I have had a few. They are GREAT for putting and end to a confrontation.
Because people know that what they say & do will be in that video. Later there is no "he said, she said" discussions with lawyers, it is all there on the vid. Same with LEOs - both ways - which is why some LEOs like them, and some LEOs don't.

So as to not alarm the neighbors who are Karens and cause them to unnecessarily call the cops. Another reason is to not give away the element of surprise.

Mostly this in response to @Cavedweller 's question. My neighbor is a sweet ol' lady - I've never talked guns with her but I'm decently certain, given her more rural upbringing, that she's got something.

But a friend of hers drives around with a "ban assault weapons" bumper sticker.

Part of me does want to walk out to the car, all 3 AR's in hand…but mostly I try to avoid the Karen.

^this is the proper way to handle trespassers.

Because people know that what they say & do will be in that video. Later there is no "he said, she said" discussions with lawyers, it is all there on the vid. Same with LEOs - both ways - which is why some LEOs like them, and some LEOs don't.
As soon as I tried one I was VERY big on LEO's all having them. The good would be protected. As you said there would no longer be claims of he said she said. The few bad who should not have the job? They would show those in charge they needed to go. Almost every confrontation I have gotten into while wearing one was over dogs coming after me and or my dog. The ranting dog owner would suddenly go quiet when they realized I was video recording the entire thing. For just the reason you said. They knew if this ended up in court there would be no putting spin on it. The damn things are so cheap these days anyone can have one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top