JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How powerful would it have been for the NRA to show in a series of commercials on TV all the different cases of where a BC and transfer fee was necessary in I 594? Illustrate the ridiculousness of turning ordinary law abiding citizens in to felons because whack job anti gunners from out of state want all guns confiscated. Attacking it at the common sense level and illustrating how much better I591 would have been may have turned the tide. I support the NRA but if you paid attention in the last election they let us down in the NW. Wake up and call a spade a spade, and by spade I mean the shovel. They had an opportunity to beat Bloomberg here and they left us to our own devices.

Brutus Out

That's not the whole reason. We lost in WA because TOO MANY GUN OWNERS DIDN'T VOTE (they figured their votes wouldn't matter or whatever) and maybe some gun owners voted FOR I-594.

OFF does what it can do, but Kevin is no Mikey in the money realm. Bloomberg dumped something like 2-plus million into Washington's campaign via his personal account and the Everytown lobbying group.

Our problem is getting out the vote. We can't hold guns to peoples' heads and force them to vote. Too many conservatives and gun owners evidently sat out the mid-terms in Oregon, too.

Our troops need to get off their fat apathies.

So, why did not enough gun owners vote Dave? Maybe more would have voted if they knew what was going on by the NRA as soon as the I594 came out attacking 594 for what it was. Maybe even non gun owners would have realized what an attack 594 was on individual rights.

I didn't see the NRA have a spot on Fox News telling us all about the serious attack 594 was 6 months before the election. I am sorry, if the troops didn't get fully mobilized then thats on the leaders, not the troops. You show me where the NRA outspent Bloomberg in Washington state and what that money went for....

Brutus Out

Vermont has been having some good success with fighting back. Can we take lessons from them?

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

BTW, Vermonts rate of 115 and the national rate of 368. Oregons is 242.9 (243), or 33% lower than the national rate (Source FBI UCR). Violent crime rates for "states with background checks for all gun purchases"? 370.... (my analysis, data taken from UCR)

An alternate blog. Not sure about the rest of it, but this turned up and had some good analysis of claims we can use to sharpen our own arguments:
<broken link removed>

Then there is this, which is a lot of good reading for Oregon residents:
http://toughclarity.net/about/univbackchecks/

Ok. That's a lot of info to watch/read. But I'm feeling optimistic today. I'd like to do something like what Vermont did above, but lack video skills. I do have research skills :)

(Should this info be the start of a new thread?)

Just a little research reveals some changes.
http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2014/10/as_oregon_voter_registration_c.html
There are just too few conservatives to stop the commies! They have 37% of the vote and the rest is split between Republicans and the others who didn't list any party.
Maybe if they could connect with the Libertarians they could wrest control from the left, but I'm afraid they aren't coordinated enough to get that done.
So my question is how are we going to overcome the imbalance?
Gabby

Just a little research reveals some changes.
http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2014/10/as_oregon_voter_registration_c.html
There are just too few conservatives to stop the commies! They have 37% of the vote and the rest is split between Republicans and the others who didn't list any party.
Maybe if they could connect with the Libertarians they could wrest control from the left, but I'm afraid they aren't coordinated enough to get that done.
So my question is how are we going to overcome the imbalance?
Gabby

I don't think we are going to overcome the imbalance, how long have we had a democrat governor? While I don't think Oregon is lost as gun control goes, I think we need to start making it less of a republican vs democrat issue and more of a freedom vs. non-freedom issue. Pro-gun is so often painted as right wing we'll never win. We need to change that image and appeal more to centrist. Frankly I am a single issue voter, gun rights is what keeps me registered as a republican.

From the opener today it sounds like UBC are number three behind paid sick leave for all workers, and some mystery carbon offset tax on Oregon fuel that will cost us an extra $0.20 to $1.00 at the pump. I am sure that having to unscrew the Oregon Health Plan will surface too.

It has been awhile since School House Rock, so refresh me on how a bad bill becomes a law. Pozinski smugly thinks he can slam dunk a UBC through the Senate, so then it has to go to the House before the Governor?

Is that who we need to focus our education and testimony on?

From the opener today it sounds like UBC are number three behind paid sick leave for all workers, and some mystery carbon offset tax on Oregon fuel that will cost us an extra $0.20 to $1.00 at the pump. I am sure that having to unscrew the Oregon Health Plan will surface too.

It has been awhile since School House Rock, so refresh me on how a bad bill becomes a law. Pozinski smugly thinks he can slam dunk a UBC through the Senate, so then it has to go to the House before the Governor?

Is that who we need to focus our education and testimony on?

The only thing they are "unscrewing" with the Oregon Health Plan is dismantling it completely as Oregon is using the federal system now. It's bipartisan, so it will just get done. Last I read they weren't optimistic about getting the carbon tax or a gas tax to actually pass. It's extremely short sighted, "Oh look gas prices are down, lets raise taxes!" They know full well they will come back up again, and they will continue to have a negative effect on the economy like they did when it was $4 a gallon.

The chief sponsor and author of the UBC legislation, Floyd Prozanski, has recently switched to wearing bow ties.

Anyone have any idea what this might signify??

jpeg.jpg

Man, that is absolutely incredible that Michael Bloomberg spent $600,000 to influence last November's elections in Oregon. That is a huge amount of money, and clearly bought a lot of TV and radio ads. I guess that when a person is worth $36 Billion, $600,000 is not much money.

This is actually a good point for people who identify more with the Occupy movement. Remind them Bloomberg, the rich white guy from New York Wall-Street, tried to buy measure 90 (open primaries) and that anything he touches has an ulterior motive.

Also, Sen. Chuck Riley seems to be VERY quiet (did anyone get a chance to go to his town hall this last weekend?) about the $85k he got (about 9.5% of his campaign cash) from gun control groups, as well as external help from as far away as Moms Demand phone banks in Ohio.
Here's a survey if you (or send to a friend who is) in his district :)
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8HK2M9S

What does it matter if the price of gas is down, The State & Feds still get the same amount of fuel tax per gallon.
I would think that more fuel is being purchased, then less.

The chief sponsor and author of the UBC legislation, Floyd Prozanski, has recently switched to wearing bow ties.

Anyone have any idea what this might signify??

View attachment 167825
To me it signifies that it doesn't matter what pretty boy Floyd is wearing, he's still a mucking a-hole!
edit: oops - probably should smile when I say that :D

My belief in this is that the only chance we have in heading this off is to be highly vocal. If we can introduce enough doubt within the parties, we may at least have a chance. Utilize the information and reports from OFF, Oregon Council on Firearm Rights, other 2A rights groups and even from Everytown to get a look at the information they are using. We have to bombard everyone in the legislature to let them know that the majority of the population is against UBC in Oregon. I know I sound like a broken record on this, but we need to let the left know that this is not a slam dunk for them. They use the absence of objections as a pass to go forward. Don't give it to them for free. And make sure you let every single one of the legislators from the other side of the aisle know how you feel and that you appreciate their efforts.

It's still a slim chance that we can block this. But if we do nothing, it's a done deal.

So, I was thinking about this today. I'd wager UBCs are about 95% probability of passing. So, I was trying to think of ways to mitigate the damage. I'd like to hear your guys input, but let me start off by saying, we gotta be realistic about this. Just holding on to some hope that the Dems aren't going to pass anything is blindly stupid IMO. So, with that out of the way.

We agree to UBCs HOWEVER, we abolish FICS and only run NICS checks in Oregon. This prevents a registry because federally they are not allowed to know any data about the firearm except handgun or long gun. It frees us from OSP's shakedown money and offers an incentive for people to go to dealers because the check is free and there is no stored data on the firearm kept directly by NICS. If they come at us with some crap about the NICS check not having enough info then we can say that OSP is failing in their job to report things and needs to be cleaned up. If the issues are from out of state (mental, etc) then even an OSP check wouldn't make a difference.

I know none of us want UBCs, but the reality is we are probably going to get it weather we like it or not and I think this might be a way to at least provide some lube for what the legislature does to us.

:s0143:The only way your going to beat them is go to the rallies , write and call your reps don't just set back and think someone else is going to do it for you because if you do nothing , we all lose.

KATU
<broken link removed>

5 things to know about Oregon's gun-control bill
By Jonathan J. Cooper, Associated Press Published: Mar 30, 2015 at 2:02 PM PDT

WHAT IT DOES

The bill requires gun buyers and sellers who aren't related to visit a licensed gun dealer that can, for a fee, run a background check through the Oregon State Police. Oregon law prohibits giving a gun to minors, felons, people with recent convictions for violent behavior or those who have been found by a court to have a mental illness.

If someone tries to buy a gun but fails a background check, the State Police would be required to notify the local sheriff and police chief.

Background checks would not be required when someone transfers to a gun to these relatives: spouse or domestic partner, parent or stepparent, child or stepchild, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, aunt or uncle, first cousin, niece or nephew.

The seller of a gun would face a misdemeanor for a first offense, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $6,250 fine. A second offense would be a felony, with a potential sentence of up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The bill would take effect 90 days after it's passed.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Measures/Overview/SB941

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads