JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting video of a police officer's rifle discharging while the officer was running -- at the moment of discharge he isn't even holding the pistol grip on the rifle and his hand is well away from the trigger. Maybe something caught the trigger? Maybe the rifle was just worn out and the jostling triggered it? Anyway, I thought it was an interesting video and it happened here in WA, so:

His trigger was probably caught on a button or something in his pocket.

Although (judging only by the short video) I don't believe he should be reprimanded in any serious way (besides remedial training) it is still a negligent discharge.

There are five simple firearm safety rules.

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded (he did this)
2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot (he did this)
3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire (he did this)
4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire (it appears he did not do this)
5. Know your target and what is beyond (N/A in this situation)

It only takes one small mistake. Perhaps it was an actual weapons malfunction. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that his weapon was on "fire" and it became snagged in his uniform.

Maybe its trying to compete with Sig. ;)

ABCA395C-EB69-4DC9-ADF0-29848AB47F21.jpeg

Something I learned long ago when starting out giving talks on and displaying my antique firearms...
Always clear the firearm and do a function check on the firearm before using.

Please note that I was taught from a young age to always clear a firearm before anything...
And yes , I know that in many situations Law Enforcement Officers find themselves in it may be impossible to clear and function check a firearm before using...The above suggestion was meant as a general rule for those not in a emergency situation.
Andy

definitely caught on something on his vest. Negligent discharge.

Rifle was rubbing up against that table muscle and likely his vest or a button on his shirt caught the trigger as you can watch the rifle move downward just before the discharge which would have pulled the trigger.

Video is hard to see well but my guess would be the same as others have said. He must have left the safety off, and then with all the bouncing while running some of his gear caught the trigger. He is VERY lucky the round did not harm anyone.

"He is VERY lucky the round did not harm anyone."
True dat. However, if it had, there would have been no repercussions more serious than remedial safety training and a boiler plate form in his HR file.
Only one = no harm, no foul.

I'd bet the safety was not on, why not.
I'd vote that the trigger snagged on something on his chest, with safety off.
Officer didn't even look to see if anyone was injured.
Hardly seemed to notice the discharge.
Tunnel vision.
Rifle "retired" aka destroyed, likely to prevent further inspection in case of negligence investigation or civil suit by the two guys that were endangered or harmed by negligent discharge. Hearing loss / emotional trauma.
I wonder if mention of this incident is still in the officers jacket.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top