JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To be clear, the article doesn't criticize disabled people - it just shows that there are a lot of people who can't find jobs because their jobs went away, who turn to "disability" programs because they can't find work.

And the state encourages it because it takes them off their welfare/unemployment programs.

That is abuse of the system yes.

There are individuals who abuse any program - my ex-wife decided she didn't want to work anymore so she went on SSI disability. She could work, she just never wanted to - so when she learned that she could go on disability she did whatever it took to get on the program. It took her a year or more and going to many different doctors until she could find enough support to do it, but she did it.

Now she is so far gone (from prescription drug abuse) that she couldn't work if she wanted to - indeed, she needs (but won't accept) someone to handle her affairs, such as making sure she takes her meds, pays her bills and so on. A couple of years ago we found her homeless and on the streets.

Scott, I don't believe that anyone here disagrees with supporting someone who is truly disabled.

Through private programs? No - don't have a problem with that at all.

Through government programs? Yes - it is not the responsibility of the government to support disabled people by taking money from someone who earns it and giving it to some who can't. But then I am a Libertarian and 99% of the populace disagree with me, so you are mostly right - most people agree with government disability programs - just not the abuse or fraud.

To be clear - I have nothing against someone using an available social program - by all means, if you are in a situation that the program is intended to address, then take advantage of it - you would be a fool not to. I am just saying we shouldn't have these programs be funded by tax dollars.

That said, I have no illusions about convincing a significant enough number of people that it is false that the general public is responsible for creating or maintaining government funded social safety nets. That ship has sailed more or less and most people support the idea or at least accept it.

What I found more interesting was the explanation of where these unemployed people had gone - off the radar as to being unemployed - and yet managed to survive. The answer is that they were just hidden in a different social program. They are still unemployed - just not actively looking for work - and still costing the taxpayers money.

If they paid these militarized federal agencies to police the fraud we would be able to save this country billions a year.

Investigating and stopping fraud is a huge thing, no doubt, but I think this would be a very bad idea. We have enough bull to put up with from those agencies without giving them another task that is clearly a civilian matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to crap on a thread, but how about those folks with disabled hunting permits? I for one have no issues with those that are truly disabled obtaining these permits, but there too there is way too much fruad. I know of one family down here along the coast where not only does Grandpa have one, but so does dad and two of the sons.

The laws have now changed for the Trask areas and no more permits can be used, and I can tell you there was much nashing and wailing among them. Many times I have seen them tromping all over the hills packing cow Elk and Does on thier backs with nary a limp and have seen not only the father, but both the sons RUNNING to catch up with a herd just missed. I've voiced my opinion of it to all of them and told them that it was flat out BS but their reply is always "hey, we got our doctor to sign off on it, so screw you buddy" this makes me boil!

There are dissabled veterans and many others with dissabilities that have been screwed over by such exploytation due to areas being closed to hunters with actual dissabilities down here thanks to folks just like this family. Sorry for the theft of the thread, but I felt this was exactly the same thing. One of the boys (around 35) and perfectly capable, is on dissability and draws a check from you and I full time, Arrrgh!

Not to crap on a thread, but how about those folks with disabled hunting permits? I for one have no issues with those that are truly disabled obtaining these permits, but there too there is way too much fruad. I know of one family down here along the coast where not only does Grandpa have one, but so does dad and two of the sons.

The laws have now changed for the Trask areas and no more permits can be used, and I can tell you there was much nashing and wailing among them. Many times I have seen them tromping all over the hills packing cow Elk and Does on thier backs with nary a limp and have seen not only the father, but both the sons RUNNING to catch up with a herd just missed. I've voiced my opinion of it to all of them and told them that it was flat out BS but their reply is always "hey, we got our doctor to sign off on it, so screw you buddy" this makes me boil!

There are dissabled veterans and many others with dissabilities that have been screwed over by such exploytation due to areas being closed to hunters with actual dissabilities down here thanks to folks just like this family. Sorry for the theft of the thread, but I felt this was exactly the same thing. One of the boys (around 35) and perfectly capable, is on dissability and draws a check from you and I full time, Arrrgh!
That is absolutely an abuse of the system.
And good on you for saying something too them! Most people would never say anything. It shows character!

Being unemployed and on the Dole for an extended time often makes you unfit for work too.

This Economy and the crazy amount of time people are receiving unemployment now has ruined a lot of otherwise productive hard working individuals.

Unemployment makes you a slave to the system/govt., weakens the mind, body and Soul and often leads to disability IMHO.

You're right Joe 13.
I'll say this though about "borderline" disabilities that some have worked so hard to get themselves officially labeled with. That monthly Govt. check may cost you your gun rights in the not so distant future.

First as a slave to that Govt. check, you're likely voting the party that promises to keep upping the payments and the "free" or low cost subsidized services.

That party doesn't think much of the 2nd Amendment btw! Their people have thousands of progressively stricter and stricter anti-gun initiatives already written and waiting for the next "right moment" to get passed. And once a Right is gone, it ain't ever changing back!

Second, as Orwellian as it sounds, don't be surprised when your mental and yes, physical health prevents you from ever Legally owning a firearm again.

After all, even a minor permanent injury or worse, a lost limb or eye etc., can cause suffering, anger, depression etc. Did the Doc prescribe something to help your mood?? Did he ask how your loss made you feel??

Did you tell him the logical truth and say it pisses you off and depresses you a little??

Did he ask if you owned any firearms?:(

Last Edited:
If a fix is what is truly desired, simply stop FORCING Americans to take out a disability and retirement insurance program, which is all Social Security is in the first place. If the government has the power to force an insurance payment out of your paycheck before you see it, then the policy holder can claim it when it is time. Before Social Security, if you hurt yourself so badly that you could not work, you were a ward of your family or you died(maybe it wasn't quite that simple, but you get the point.). If Americans had a choice to pay for disability insurance or not, you would see a lot of people with minor injuries working or starving, not with a better cable package than the guy "footing the bill".

Maybe the Social Security system could work if only those that paid in could get back out. We have proven 4th generation SSI recipients that have been on the dole from birth to death and those that really were destroyed at work have to wade through an 18 month backlogged system to get the benefits they paid for while someone gets benefits for ADD, even though their father's father never paid a dime in.

Just like that TEMPORARY Federal Reserve that is about to celebrate it's 101st birthday, what government program isn't a disgusting mess, far to vile to be called a "joke" any more?

I hurt my back on the job and was never supposed to work again. I had to walk with a cane so I was qualified to get an Oregon disabled hunting permit. But I fooled the doctors and got better. I went up to the F&W office in Madras and turned in my disabled card. They stood around with the deer in the headlights look. Finally ons said they did not know what to do with my card as they did not know of anyone turning in a card before. I told them I walked in without a cane so I didn't need the card.

Now about working. As I sad in another reply to this subject I am a disabled Vet with Meniere's but I have started a construction company with my son. Not bad for someone 65 and been labeled disabled twice.

Through private programs? No - don't have a problem with that at all.

Through government programs? Yes - it is not the responsibility of the government to support disabled people by taking money from someone who earns it and giving it to some who can't. But then I am a Libertarian and 99% of the populace disagree with me, so you are mostly right - most people agree with government disability programs - just not the abuse or fraud.

To be clear - I have nothing against someone using an available social program - by all means, if you are in a situation that the program is intended to address, then take advantage of it - you would be a fool not to. I am just saying we shouldn't have these programs be funded by tax dollars.

So when one of our finest comes home from the sandbox without his legs we shouldn't be on the hook to help him? He would be on government money. Somehow I truly doubt that is what you meant to say.

So when one of our finest comes home from the sandbox without his legs we shouldn't be on the hook to help him? He would be on government money. Somehow I truly doubt that is what you meant to say.
Military benefits are earned - they are part of the literal contract a member of the military enters into when they enlist/re-enlist/are commissioned.

So no, that isn't what I was talking about at all.

With All Due RESPECT. Writing software is not included in Millions of Blue Collar WORKERS definition of that Word, Work.

WORK, Wears a Man Out. Breaks down his body... Makes Young men OLD, before their time...

Of Course, Your Mileage May Vary...

Sincerely,

philip :confused:

Work smart, not hard. Peoples definitions of work may vary, however writing software does no less good for the community than digging ditches.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top