JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I remember the Presidents Council on Physical Fitness, and being tested.

But
A recent Heritage Foundation report found that, according to 2017 Pentagon data, "71 percent of young Americans between 17 and 24 are ineligible to serve in the United States military." Nearly one-third of those young Americans are too overweight for military service.

"Put another way: Over 24 million of the 34 million people of that age group cannot join the armed forces — even if they wanted to," said retired Lt. Gen. Thomas Spoehr and Bridget Handy, who authored the report, "The Looming National Security Crisis: Young Americans Unable to Serve in the Military."

For a SHTF situation, being, at least minimally, physically able, seems to me, to be a requirement for survival. If someone tries to sucker=punch you with some ramen cup, would you be able to survive?

Facing fitness crisis, Army leaders look to change culture

The current Army Physical Fitness Test, or APFT, was introduced in 1980 and has remained largely unchanged. It consists of two minutes of push-ups, two minutes of sit-ups and a two-mile run.

I can do 5 push-ups. ;)

The Soldier Readiness Test must be completed by soldiers while wearing their Army Combat Uniform, boots and fully body armor. The events include a 225-pound tire flip, an agility test, a 240-pound dummy drag, a sandbag toss over a 7-foot barrier, a sandbag stack and a one-and-a-half mile run.
Sounds like The Spartan Race.

TRADOC is developing the Army Combat Readiness Test that could eventually replace the APFT. The new, six-event test is designed to gauge five components of physical fitness, including muscular and cardiovascular endurance, strength, speed and explosive power. It consists of a deadlift, standing power throw, modified pushups, a sprint/drag/carry lane that simulates moving a wounded soldier or ammunition in combat, leg lifts and a two-mile run.
Sounds like CrossFit

Frost said the Army introduced the Occupational Physical Assessment Test, or OPAT, in part, to encourage recruits to begin physically training for the Army before they report to basic training. The test was introduced early last year for new Army recruits and soldiers changing military occupational specialties.

It measures a recruit's physical aptitude through four events — a standing long jump, seated power throw, deadlift and interval run — in much the same way that the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, or ASVAB, measures mental aptitude.

The current Army Physical Fitness Test, or APFT, was introduced in 1980 and has remained largely unchanged. It consists of two minutes of push-ups, two minutes of sit-ups and a two-mile run.

I remember some pear-shaped ready-to-retire sergeants who really hated that test.

90 days to get back in shape; yes.
Pathetic I know.

No amount of time to prepare for the psych-eval because I pick my leaders now...

So, before (instead-of) romancing the idea of joining, go ask some knuckle head to boss you around and tell you what to do for 3 or 4 years; 24/7/365...

:s0140:

Nope. Shoulders won't allow a push-up.

Done right there, no sense in going beyond that.

I'm autistic (strike 1), I was misdiagnosed as ADHD and put on Ritalin as a kid (strike 2, despite being off the crap since like '93), at my bare-bones leanest I'm ten pounds above Height Weight allowance (strike three) and I have major allergies (strike four). Add to that that I have no pectoral muscles and can't do a single chin-up...

Any one of those is considered Game Over. And while in my present state I'd probably drop of a coronary, if duty called I would still try to pick up a rifle and man a post.

I never made weight. My max weight for my height was 224, I was always 227 to 230. I had a 48 inch chest and a 38 inch waist, 17 inch neck. Our master sgt would look at me and go, "You're not fat." And he'd subtract 10.
At 160#, 5'6" and down to a 36" waist at 5'6", my neck was still in the 17-18" range. May not have helped much that I have the leg and calf musculature of someone a lot heavier and bigger putting on muscle mass, too... I may be built like Newman, but I got MOVES for a fat dude. LOL

I did, I'm now 60 and after 55 years of work (I started picking crops every summer as a kid until I was 12 when I went hourly to farm work like bucking hay and moving irrigation pipe or milking cows) I am one pretty be up guy. Last night after laying in bed for an hour trying to go to sleep but not being able because my hands hurt so much I got up and soaked them in tap hot water for 10 min and finally the nerves and tendons relaxed enough to let me go to sleep.

SO the answer would be Hell no. Now ask me if I could put one in a melon at 200 yards standing or 600 yards prone or 1000 yards on a rest.

. Now ask me if I could put one in a melon at 200 yards standing or 600 yards prone or 1000 yards on a rest.

This right here. I can still put 10 out of 15 in the 8 ring at 25 yards, and the same as you, well that 600 prone might might be a stretch. I can still walk 3 miles non stop, get on and off my tractor, and do what I need to do.

Old man treachery will over come youth and vigor any day.

Exactly ask me how many rounds of target grade rifle ammo I can load in an hour with my single stage press. Or how many shots of Whiskey I can hold and still argue for the second amendment. You know important stuff.

Been that, done there.
Tonight, my neck is hurting. More Alieve.
Doc asked where I got the scars and pains.
and why didn't I jog around the block a bit.
Told him my knees, hips, back, shoulders complain too much.
then there's the left elbow.

Youngsters (<60s) ask "but what about SHTF?"
Hunker down where I'm at. Eat freeze dried and mice.
Hard life...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads