JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Short story: So way back when I was 12 years old back in '91 my pop would take me to plate shoots and combat matches every weekend. This was my 'race' gun. It's got a 2.5-ish pound trigger, polished feed ramp, etc. It's unfinished and ugly but it's reliable and has some sentimental value to me. Anyway, we moved away from the Louisiana shooting community down there and the gun went in the safe for a long long time.

Currently the gun cycles great but doesn't have a rear sight or red-dot.

Is it still possible to install a Bomar-type adjustable rear sight? Is it worth it as opposed to just buying a new (not butchered) slide with nice sights?

Is it possible to somehow fill in the mount holes drilled in to the frame before I get the gun re-finished?

Depending on the answer to those questions, who is a good gunsmith in the Mid-Willamette Valley that can do this type of work? How about a local source for re-finishing?

I am trying to decide whether to get the gun fixed up or try to trade it as is for other stuff that I could use.

Any feedback appreciated, especially if you know what you're talking about. ;)

IMG_3766.jpg IMG_3767.jpg IMG_3769.jpg IMG_3770.jpg IMG_3771.jpg IMG_3772.jpg

Wow that would be interesting, I would be more than happy to help out!

I'm not sure about filling in the holes then refinishing. Well they would really be visible if it's blued. But there are other options for finish.

Looks interesting for sure.:)

Wow that would be interesting, I would be more than happy to help out!

I'm not sure about filling in the holes then refinishing. Well they would really be visible if it's blued. But there are other options for finish.

Looks interesting for sure.:)

I appreciate the feedback! I am especially curious about what kind sights we could use? Will email and make an appointment!

Last Edited:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the lever on the slide for??

It was used to rack the slide back when it had a giant Pro-point red dot mounted with metal brackets that bolted to the frame in front of trigger guard. Cutting edge technology 25 years ago. It points right because the gun rode in a safari land QuickDraw holster

Last Edited:
It didn't occur to me that it is fixed. With the top of the slide milled away it looks like it is intended to pivot back and lay on top of the slide.

Depends if ya wanna drive north or south..... Shepard Arms in Brownsville he use to be in salem but moved.

He is a master class uspsa and full time gun smith now he has done great work in the for me when he was in salem.

His main gig is race guns but does it all.
Google his site.

I hear Velzey does great work so it's your choice.

Depends if ya wanna drive north or south..... Shepard Arms in Brownsville he use to be in salem but moved.

He is a master class uspsa and full time gun smith now he has done great work in the for me when he was in salem.

His main gig is race guns but does it all.
Google his site.

I hear Velzey does great work so it's your choice.

I vote for Velzey!

From what I can tell in the photos, it looks like a Colt "National Match" sight set might fit nice and easy on the slide, not sure how much filling might be needed, but I bet Velzey can come up with some good ideas! Me personally, I would pull the slide and barrel and save for later and replace with a new slide in the configuration you want for shooting fun, then switch back for comps if you so choose!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top