JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
No link, just this paragraph (from a much longer source)
  • Man collects unemployment benefits but is actually still working. Fraud! He's sentenced to probation but could have served a max of five years. Seventh Circuit: It does not violate the Second Amendment to prohibit him from possessing guns. His crime may not have been violent, but it was serious. And 40% of nonviolent felons are caught committing subsequent crimes (some violent)—who knows on which side of the line he'll fall?

Makes perfect sense to me. The 2nd is considered by a huge number of gun owners, probably a majority, as a privilege, not a right. Very few gun owners I have ever known had a real problem with that part of GCA68. The part that once a convicted felon, no guns for life. This guy was convicted of a felony. I for a couple decades was very ambivalent about this. Did not effect me so I did not really care either. I no longer feel that way about it but I seem to be in the minority of gun owners.

I don't remember the 2nd having any exceptions for felony convictions. Although it seems an unpopular concept whenever I bring it up.

I don't remember the 2nd having any exceptions for felony convictions. Although it seems an unpopular concept whenever I bring it up.

Yah, an oversight by our forefathers not to clarify. At the time of the writing, justice & punishment was in fact swift and sure.

We screwed that up royally over time.

The criminal justice system today is both a joke and a game for most habitual criminals, violent and non violent alike.

Well, the whole issue would have been moot if the guy hadn't committed a crime in the first place!!!

Tell the left that no convicted felons can exercise free speech or the other "rights" that they favor.

I have long used a different analogy. Both left and right seem to have zero problems with some drunk who kills. They can get convicted multiple times. They can even maim and kill. Yet no one ever says they should be banned from driving for life. This has long left me shaking my head.
Couple decades back when I first started to have "questions" about this. Got to know a guy who worked for DOC. He said (at that time, don't know if this is still so) that while on Parole the person had no 4th rights. That he could show up at their home any time and go in and search. This of course was only while the person was on Parole. That got me thinking why? Since they were convicted why not make the loss of 4th for life? After all it's just a privilege, right?

Yup, it's the United States Constitution and the BOP, Bill of Privlidges...

Sheesh....

Lets see if i get your reasoning......

We are neighbors. Your dog(s) come on to my property and kill/maim my infant who is playing in my backyard. I sue you. You "win" on a "technicality". I go absolutely crazy. I grab a gun and go to your house and do a little "old west justice" myself. Your remaining family members sue me. I "win" on a "technicality" (lets say, temporary insanity). I get to continue with all my rights - especially my 2nd Amendment RIGHTS - as if nothing happened. And you'd be ok with that?

There has to be a time that you actually start losing your "rights" when you start abusing them....

We are neighbors. Your dog(s) come on to my property and kill/maim my infant who is playing in my backyard. I sue you. You "win" on a "technicality". I go absolutely crazy. I grab a gun and go to your house and do a little "old west justice" myself. Your remaining family members sue me. I "win" on a "technicality" (lets say, temporary insanity). I get to continue with all my rights - especially my 2nd Amendment RIGHTS - as if nothing happened. And you'd be ok with that?

There has to be a time that you actually start losing your "rights" when you start abusing them....

I would have zero problems with people who are not "safe to allow in society" locked up for life. That of course is not what we are talking about though.

I would have zero problems with people who are not "safe to allow in society" locked up for life. That of course is not what we are talking about though.

True, but they (who i quoted) were.

I understand the OP's post. My question still stands..... At what point do people start losing "rights" for abusing rights (or abusing privileges)?

I understand the OP's post. My question still stands..... At what point do people start losing "rights" for abusing rights (or abusing privileges)?
To me? For all it's worth I can easily see it while locked up, and or on parole. After that? Not sure. If they are "not safe" to roam free with a gun, why are they "safe" to roam free at all? They can only harm with a gun? It's fine for them to drive? Of course I am not in charge of anything so what I think really matters not at all. If I was king? Well things would be very different. :)

Just to be clear, my quoted post was purely sarcasm, just in case anyone missed that... :eek:

I often say something that is purely sarcastic, and it's often taken quite literally. Often hard on the net for people to tell, especially if they don't know you. Mods, we need an emoji for "this is sarcasm" :)
Should have put a disclaimer on my post. Just look at my footer, kinda states where I am... A constitutionalist stuck in a broken representative republic :(

Sigh....

If you harm an innocent someone with a gun, you probably have proven yourself unfit to have a gun. In that vein, a willfully reckless doctor shouldn't practice medicine and an embezzler shouldn't work at a bank.
But then again, practicing medicine and working in a bank aren't constitutional rights.

Should have put a disclaimer on my post. Just look at my footer, kinda states where I am... A constitutionalist suck in a broken representative republic :(

Sigh....

I had just remembered one time I set some people OFF! Old Usenet boards. I had a rotation of "sig lines". I would change them every so often. Lot of them came from a book I loved by Heinlein. One was something like "get a shot off quick, this confuses the opponent long enough to make your second shot perfect". I am too lazy to look it up but that is close. My god you should have seen the wailing and gnashing it set off. I had to keep telling people, it's humor folks, I am not saying this is how to do it. LOL

How about no voting??? :eek::eek::eek:

Oh wait, that's already a thing, isn't it...
It used to be but last I heard many states no longer do that. If there are any left that still ban voting I am sure they are under attack for it. I was at Jury duty one time and we were asked if any of us were convicted felons? One guy raised his hand said yes. Was asked, said he had done time, now had the right to vote. They did not promptly kick him from the pool. He was still there for days after and taken for a few upcoming cases. I don't think he was put on a jury as I kept seeing him come back to the waiting area. Suppose no prosecutor would want him. Seems like I heard many states now just restore the voting after some time or such. I know several of the clowns running are saying they want prisoners to vote in prison.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top