JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, guess people are going to get Royally screwed here in Oregon.. real fast.

State of Oregon website said:
Unless Congress votes to extend the federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program, the department will begin to phase out the extension by the end of this week.

No new EUC claims can be filed effective the week beginning February 28, 2010 or later. This means you must have used up your regular unemployment insurance benefits and filed for EUC effective the week beginning February 21, or before.

Individuals receiving EUC, who have a balance remaining in the current tier as of the week beginning February 28, 2010, can claim the remainder of their EUC balance. No EUC payments can be made for weeks beginning after July 25, 2010.

Once you exhaust the EUC benefits in your current tier, please contact your UI Center to determine the availability of other extension programs.

He was talking about this

Instead…many, many Americans will suffer their loss of unemployment benefits so the Republicans can stage their political theatre.

Instead of doing anything that would have a lasting effect, they would rather end unemployment benefits for those who lost their jobs because of their policies. I suggest that they all take a paycut, start paying into Social Security instead of the retirement they receive from "serving" the country, and use whatever medical plan they dream up for the average American.

Wow, guess people are going to get Royally screwed here in Oregon.. real fast.

My wife got laid off in late 08 as her job was outsourced to the phillipines. This will definately affect us as she is now into the extension part of her UI benefits. Looks like I need to find a way to pull an additional $1000/month out of my arse.

Instead of doing anything that would have a lasting effect, they would rather end unemployment benefits for those who lost their jobs because of their policies. I suggest that they all take a paycut, start paying into Social Security instead of the retirement they receive from "serving" the country, and use whatever medical plan they dream up for the average American.

The Republican medical plan for the un/under/self-employed is waiting until you get really sick or die, and then going to the ER*/morgue. I think it should be expanded to congressmen from both parties.

*and taking full responsibility for the consequences if the doctor maims you.

Here's what's going on. The Dems want to put it on the fed credit card, and this guy sez no, figure out another way to pay for the extension.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/26/senate.jobless.benefits/index.html

Washington (CNN) -- The Senate adjourned Friday without approving extensions of cash and health insurance benefits for the unemployed after a lone senator blocked swift passage due to his insistence that Congress first pay for the $10 billion package.
Retiring Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Kentucky, led a spirited Senate debate with Democrats over the issue -- at one time cursing at another senator on the floor. Bunning said he doesn't oppose extending the programs -- he just doesn't want to add to the deficit.

According to two Democratic aides on the Senate floor Thursday night, Bunning muttered "tough s---" as Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-Oregon, criticized Bunning's stance on the package.

An aide to Merkley said the senator didn't hear the remark. A spokesman for Bunning said he was aware of the reports about the senator's language but didn't have a comment.

On Friday, Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California, sent Bunning a letter asking him to "stand down immediately" from his stance.

"Unemployment insurance is a lifeline to the long-term unemployed whose families have been hit very hard by this recession," she said.

For his part, Bunning maintained on Friday that if all senators could agree that the benefits are so important, then they should find a way to pay for them.

"If we can't find $10 billion somewhere for a bill that everybody in this body supports, we will never pay for anything," he said.

Democrats argued the safety net funds are classified as "emergency" and therefore don't need to be offset.

Starting Monday, the jobless will no longer be able to apply for federal unemployment benefits or the COBRA health insurance subsidy.

With the Senate not in a position to vote on the extensions until next Tuesday at the earliest, senators and their staffs scrambled to determine the practical implication of letting the programs lapse -- even if for just a few days.

In addition to funding unemployment insurance and the COBRA health insurance program for people who have lost their jobs, the bill would have prevented a scheduled 21 percent cut in Medicare payments to doctors.

Those cuts will technically go into place when doctors' offices open Monday. But because there is a two-week delay processing Medicare payments, a short-term lapse of the program is unlikely to affect payments, according to experts in the medical community and a Senate Finance Committee aide contacted by CNN.

Likewise, unemployment benefits could be delayed -- but if Congress acts next week, they will probably be minor, according to a Labor Department analyst who spoke to CNN. That's because Congress will likely approve the funds retroactively to make up for the missing days. An aide to Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus confirmed the Senate will try to pass the funds retroactively.

Other programs involving federal flood insurance, satellite TV licensing, and small business loans, will also go dark until Congress passes extensions.

The extension will be passed, the dems are in total control of Congress.......:s0129:

Jim Bunning has been slowly slipping into senility for some time now. In his day, he was a great pitcher in the Major Leagues: He threw no-hitters in both the American and National Leagues (I saw the game he pitched for Detroit against Boston in 1958), and then used his baseball fame to enter politics.

Typical of Bunning these days, however, is this exchange with reporters regarding the annual political event at the Saint Jerome Catholic Parish picnic in Fancy Farm, which signals the traditional start of the fall campaign in Kentucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7SVEvAyp4M

You can find more about him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bunning

It's not a pretty picture these days, sad to say.

What's wrong with congress being "forced" to cut expenses somewhere else instead of going farther into debt for a new proposal? Isn't that what we do at home?

All the guy is doing is asking congress to find somewhere else to cut a "mere" ten billion in expenses to offset this expense. I'm all for that, and wish they had to do it every time they want to spend money, instead of just increasing our debt as if there's no tomorrow.

There's so much pork and fat in DC that they can find the money if they want to.

What's wrong with congress being "forced" to cut expenses somewhere else instead of going farther into debt for a new proposal? Isn't that what we do at home?

All the guy is doing is asking congress to find somewhere else to cut a "mere" ten billion in expenses to offset this expense. I'm all for that, and wish they had to do it every time they want to spend money, instead of just increasing our debt as if there's no tomorrow.

There's so much pork and fat in DC that they can find the money if they want to.

There's nothing wrong with Congress really cutting fat, but the priorities are screwed. How about ending life-support for AIG, Fannie and Freddie, and any bank with outstanding TARP balances? Mark assets to market and liquidate.
How about taking a hard-eyed look at America's real security needs , instead of what would keep someone's idea of an empire rolling, what goes to the Pentagon's latest fantasies, what keeps the private security industry going?
How about easing USDA supports for corporate farming, and transfering a portion of the savings to small start-up operations and saving the rest?
How about deep-sixing 'bio fuels' subsidies, except for on-farm power, nuclear subsidies, oil and coal subsidies, and transfering a portion to energy conservation projects, and saving the rest?
How about Medicare for All, instead of subsidies for all insurance Co.
How about restoring top marginal tax rates to where they were during the 1960's, during this so-called economic emergency?
How about a tax on financial transactions?
Oh, wait, these interests all have traction in DC, unlike the unemployed.Hint: unemployed folks and those of us hanging on by our finger tips need to get a plan going, our strong point being there are millions of us.

Ways to save a trillion or two.

Import drugs from Kazakhstan.
Stop putting alcohol into gasoline and send it to Kazakhstan for the drugs.

Take over all private health care insurance and use the extra 20% they eat in overhead to set up nurse practitioners and allow drug stores to dispense antibiotics and then put a 10000% tax on golf clubs and BMW's if purchased by doctors.
Cut the DOD, we don't need any new ships, planes or wars, we have plenty, and the next time someone wants to have a war because they don't like some bozo let them hire a hit man.
Outsource the entire government to China, after all if they can make a computer motherboard for $50 they should be able to generate the requisite amount of offical looking paperwork for less than ten million.
Tax BS, even at a low rate the near infinite supply of this commodity in America should quickly make for a major turnaround.

Instead of one man one vote, lets decide elections in the more open, fair, and according to a recent supreme court decision, the true intent of the constitution, and give people and corporations the freedom they deserve with the new policy of as many votes as you can afford for a hundred bucks each, we could even do special lotto ballets.

Instead of one man one vote, lets decide elections in the more open, fair, and according to a recent supreme court decision, the true intent of the constitution, and give people and corporations the freedom they deserve with the new policy of as many votes as you can afford for a hundred bucks each, we could even do special lotto ballets.

Hey yeah! Great idea, just like the unions do it!

^^^^^^^^
LOL'n

I like the idea of a Lottery election system.

Garrison Keillor did a comedic talk about using a manditory national lottery to select our congress and president, everyones name goes in and if your picked you have to serve. I think this would be like jury duty but even worse. I can just see it, one day you're happy totally obsessed about how to make my 223 shoot better than half moa with factory ammo, and then your kidnapped in the dead of night, flown to DC, put on the supreme court where they have to chain you to the bench to prevent you from running, and then your forced to decide if abortion is legal or not, what a nightmare! It's lucky the current system preselects insane people for such jobs.

Whenever someone around me starts complaining about what they could have been or what they might have done I say a line that has given me great comfort for many years, "The slackers will never destroy the universe, you can just betcha it will be some darn high achiever".

Kind of like this mentality:

"If you can kill off the sick you won't have the need for hospitals".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top