JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems to me most if not all the ND or AD happen from people ignoring the basic safety practices for firearms.
Check your gear and make sure it's in good working order, (no mexican carry) no disrespect for the term.
And check, double check, and triple check to make sure a handgun is unloaded and in a safe direction before pulling the trigger.

People have accidents for 2 reasons.
Their stupid.
They get complacent.

Having said that,
My step brother had an accident with his .45 glock changing the sights. Classic mistake, pulled that trigger and a round went through his foot.
His profession?
Law Enforcement.
Where did it happen?
In the police station.

Again, classic.

My wife an I watched a video where a guy was practicing dry fire with his Glock, but before he got started he showed his routing of unloading and making safe his weapon in room "A" then moving to room "B" to practice. It was a cool, albeit a bit OCD way of making sure that safety is a priority at all times.

clearconscience deleted his post?

I'm in habit to the safety check and rack the slide minimum 3 times religiously. I've had Glocks for a few years, but when I got my first (revolver guy) the striker fire (I'll admit) types made me uncomfortable. I was real apprehensive having one in the chamber for quite some time. I thought I was never going to get past that, and almost sold my G21sf. I finally bought a good quality kydex holster and haven't looked back. The safety part is burned into my mind, so, yup, I'm OCD too :D

I didn't delete it.

I do the same thing I rack the slide 4-5 times and then do a look test.
I just make it a oractice to be uncomfortable with my firearms.
I try to learn from others mistakes.
Heck all you have to do is look up photos on google of gun accidents. Some of those pics are quite sobbering.

Whoa!! there ya are. WTH?

I've likely watched the same. Some hard to fathom, others hard to stomach.
And being uncomfortable, I refer to as overly conscientious, is not a bad thing!!

Jeezus. That's sad.
Taking a selfie!!! Sometimes.....I would like to literally SMACK the guy that invented smartphones. I despise the damn things.

Not much to add other than I have seen more than one "unloaded" gun go off.
When looking at a gun , no matter what type, always check to see if its loaded.
If you are showing someone your carry or defense gun , unload it yourself , before handing it over , then have him check as well.
Finger always off the trigger and muzzle control should be ingrained in you , in the event of a " poop happens" moment.
Anal? A little over cautious?
Perhaps, but I rather have someone sigh and give me grief over it which some folks have , then explain to their now new made widow what happened ...
Andy

Or you can be like this clown?
How many people are going to he this stupid?!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington-man-dead-shooting-selfies-police/

There are some damn stupid people in this world. Unfortunately it is those dumb people that sometimes result in more restrictions on the rest of us - as if that's ever going to stop dumb people from doing dumb things :confused:

I clicked on the article and it also had a photo gallery of 18 'selfie' deaths (not all gun related). One that was gun related was noted this way:

Nineteen-year-old Deleon Alonso Smithaccidentally shot himself in September 2015, while posing for selfies with a handgun. Investigators say Smith was holding the weapon and posting photos online, when it suddenly discharged.

Smith died of a gunshot wound to the throat in his Houston apartment, leaving behind two daughters.

"When it suddenly discharged"???!!! WFT??!! I hate this kind of crap writing because it makes already uniformed and edgy people believe that guns just go off on their own. It went off because this moron put his finger on the trigger and pulled it - period. Man, this crap really irritates me. And on top of it, two daughters are left without a father - thankfully the gun didn't suddenly go off and kill one of them.

I'm very cautious with my guns. Time to clean? I remove the mag in another room and clear the gun there, then go to my cleaning space. And if I'm cleaning a gun that has to have the trigger pulled to be disassembled, I am always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction.

When I carry, I like Kydex type holsters because I can get that positive retention and the trigger protection. I have been wearing an N8T2 (Nate Squared) holster for my M&P for 3 years now, it's been great and I feel very comfortable knowing the trigger is well protected, and the gun is secure in the holster.

I tell people that bring up such stories that if the four basic rules of firearm safety are followed, virtually ALL accidental/negligent shooting deaths would be eliminated. It's THAT DAMNED SIMPLE!!!! Dammit!

My wife and I have been handling glocks with 0 ND for the last 15 years or so and I do not think the trigger system is inherently more or less dangerous than other systems as it all comes down safe handling no matter what the platform. On a side note I had a fully loaded Glock 20 fall 8' onto concrete and it did not discharge but it got my attention and has made me more disciplined about where I set my guns down.

Ouch. Great to know. What was the damage to the G?

I dropped a loaded M&P with one in the pipe, once. I'm glad it wasn't on video because I probably looked like a damn fool contorting myself while that thing dropped. Pretty sure I went #3 when it hit :confused: Thankfully, no bang and no damage to the gun. I was slamming in a mag, my hands were just a bit wet and I didn't have as good a grip as I should. Never has happened since.

@etrain16
I bet you contorted. But, #3? :eek: You must have wiped your chin EH? :p

@osprey
Good to know the quality can handle mishaps. And continue to perform.

To the both of you.
Either way, not a good thing to happen. Bound to eventually.
Not laughing at the circumstance, just laughing at the unimaginable reaction in that short span of time. RUN!! DUCK!!

Too late :confused:

A little over cautious?

Agreed, no such thing as "over cautious" when you're talking about something that can quickly turn fatal if you aren't. I read that a lot of NDs are caused when someone is re-holstering their gun and they just forget to take their finger off the trigger. Gun goes in holster, finger stops and trigger is pulled. So now I always place my trigger finger touching the outside of my holster when I put it back in... that's after following one of the Golden Rules and never actually putting my finger on the trigger until I'm ready to shoot, of course! But gotta make sure I don't make a boo-boo bang!

trying to catch a falling firearm is just as dumb as trying to find the clean end of a turd.

just don't do it. let it fall if its already falling.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top