JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
hmm, my 38 top break revolver that was $4 in 1904 sears catalog would be $97 today. a top of the line S&W top break in 1904 was $10 which is $240 today. seems like guns were comparatively more affordable back then.

I did the math once when a guy was complaining about how expensive a 10/22 had gotten. By my figures the year they came out (64?) they would have cost something like $450 in 2014 dollars

Sounds more complicated than the principal of "the value of something is determined by what people are willing to pay for it". ;)

:D well a few charts help people see where we have been and where we are today in a reflection of the economy. Knowing your dollar is only worth 15 cents compared to the 1967 dollar gives you more to haggle with:eek::D:D.

I did the math once when a guy was complaining about how expensive a 10/22 had gotten. By my figures the year they came out (64?) they would have cost something like $450 in 2014 dollars

Ya math doesn't lie but it can't set value. Spend able income is what sets the value now and in the future. I like the charts because they show really well how much wages don't keep up with prices. All those things that take away our ability to buy really hurt the economy so I expect gun prices to fall. This is the worst economy I can remember.

Doesn't the disparity also occur because advances in manufacturing processes have reduced production costs as well?

And trade agreements that send our jobs overseas... The charts give the value of everyday goods we need then what they cost that year. It isn't about employment, just the dollars and cents it cost to live. Minimum wage chart shows what the lowest worker made that year. It's understandable that they try to raise minimum wage to get more spending but doing so cuts employees.

We have 94 million out of work, if we could get everyone to work making $10 an hour how much money would that be moving our economy again?:D

94,000,000,x10x2040 hrs =1,917,600,000,000 I think:D

Edited to add, every dollar spent generates $10 so there is the 19 trillion in debt taken care of. Now we can buy more guns:D:confused:

Calculating what a Dollar was worth back when, is near impossible IMO. Way too many variables and comparables. $ vs gold, $ vs average Home or average wage. It's endless.

Lots of manufactured goods are incredibly cheaper now adjusted for inflation than the 1970s
Clothes, TVs Bicycles etc.

Guns? not sure.

All I know is when I was a kid a typical non College Grad Dad earned enough to have a mortgage on a smaller than today house and feed 3 kids with one vacation a year and a newish car every 4 or 5 years. Maybe a second older car too. A few extras too like karate class or other hobbies and sports. Maybe a Boat!

If you were willing to work and had normal IQ you easily made middle class.

Mom didn't have to work either. School lunches were not being handed out free and if any one was on the Dole I never saw it in my corner of suburbia.
We had enough clothes and toys but nothing compared to today.

Now?? well things are different. People in general require more stuff to make them happy. And less and less of them feel they should have to work too hard to get the "basics". The basics being somewhat more than a typical 1970s middle class family had.

Walker when he dropped out had a great line, something like,

"The measure of success of how well a Government is doing is how few of the population are completely dependent on it."

As I said Calculating what a Dollar was worth back when is near impossible.

One things that sticks in my mind. Levi's were around $16 in the late 70s. My Dad thought that was crazy high! I can get on sale Levi's today maybe 20?? Not sure the wife buys my clothes.

Didn't like all school lunches so when it was a bad lunch I spent my lunch money at the store on the way home. 16 ounce pop and big bag of peanuts was 30 cents and school lunches were 35 cents.

You would think with all the technology soda would still be cheap but it isnt.

Didn't like all school lunches so when it was a bad lunch I spent my lunch money at the store on the way home. 16 ounce pop and big bag of peanuts was 30 cents and school lunches were 35 cents.

You would think with all the technology soda would still be cheap but it isnt.

Interesting how it's cheaper than bottled water.

I can buy a 32oz soda for $.99, but pay $1.69 for a 20oz bottle of water. Isn't there water in that soda? Lol.

I'm young. 33 and I remember buying two candy bars for a dollar and having change leftover. Now I buy one for $1.39 or some crap like that and 2 for $2. (I don buy candy much now days).

Even there the dollar has plummeted.

So tell me again about the home loans 40 years ago? What was the interest rate? How quickly were they paid off? Standard $200,000 home now days costs how much over a 30 year mortgage? Exactly.

It's not just guns.

I remember my parents were buying 4 houses growing up. 4 at once on my dads millwright wages. Now I look at my wife as a nurse making 2x what dad made and with taxes, costs of living and everything else.... Not happening. Back then one parent stayed home and people made it. There were some rough times but not as widespread as today. Maybe it's because $1 doesn't go as far. Basic commodities are more, that leaves less monies in the pool for your GUNS!!!

(I'm currently the stay at home parent by choice)

First chart covers the devaluation of the dollar here in America, dollar is only worth 15 cents compared to 1967 here in America. They did some real shinanigans when they pushed the value of a house up, fewer can afford one yet true debt freedom only comes when you have a paid off house. Add to that school debt now is like another house payment which makes people debt slaves.

So to understand where all the debt is taking gun prices you have to understand who is the market and how much spend able income do they and will they have. Plus add to that we have at last count 280 million guns in the country.

Please show me a chart explaining why Pythons cost so much.

I can tell you why you shouldn't pay big money for them but can't tell you why all buyers do. Some seem to think it's a hedge to keep their money in and that prices will keep going up. If you shoot them much you lose value, shoot them too much and it's difficult to find a good smith to fix them that understands lockwork. They don't make pythons any more so parts and people who know how to work on them will be very expensive.

One things that sticks in my mind. Levi's were around $16 in the late 70s. My Dad thought that was crazy high! I can get on sale Levi's today maybe 20?? Not sure the wife buys my clothes.

Me, Age 65.... @ 13 I was Buying my own clothes, with my Own Money, had already Started my own Business, done on a Handshake.... I ~had~ been mowing my Adopted GrandParents Huge Lawn, for a $5.00 bill.... his gas & mower. A neighbor walks by, sees me mowing, asks if I would like the Job of mowing His yard, as well... I asked GrandPa Emmett if I could Borrow his lawn Mower...

He said, He had learned "a long time ago" not to loan his tools. I was so sad...... I thought he loved me.

Then he said, "But I been thinking of selling my mower, since I can not use it any more, I think FIFTY Dollars would be about right". I said "well I would buy it except I did not have that kind of money..." (Remember, there is a Future Customer standing outside waiting) "well, if you wanted to Buy it, well you could Pay me by mowing my Yard, Starting TODAY, Deal????". . .

I said its a Deal. he said, well real business is closed on a Man's Handshake, THAT, is as good as a Man's Word, You owe me Nine more Lawn Mowings.... now go talk to your New Customer, NEVER KEEP a Customer Waiting"....

That is LOVE.

That is how a Boy grows up to understand Worth.

I earned $500.00 with that Lawn Mower, and would pull/push drag it in almost a Half Mile Circle .... Eight Blocks North and West, a couple Blocks both East & West, And Five blocks South, but.... there were lessons learned as well.... There are Unscrupulous Old Codgers who would try and cheat a young man, because they thought he was a boy still... And gas was needed to run the mower.... and How to Charge for Raking it up, if that was requested...

now, With $500.00 I bought a Columbia (special) NewsPaper
Bicycle, and a heavy duty rack on the Back, a flash light, and was delivering 100+ SF Chronicles every morning, that Next Year. And then the local paper, on My HOME Route... which paid for my first Motor Cycle, a Honda 305 Scrambler, with Modified Pipes, Duck Butt racing seat and custom Paint... by Age 15.5 ....

Economy today???? compared to then???? Terrible. I would not be able to mow lawns, because the illegal aliens have that territory sewn up.... Newspaper delivery by teen agers is practically Non Existent.

By the way, I sold that lawn mower to my Little Brother... for Fifty Dollars, Cash!

Ruger Ten-22's???? I have two: my original 1976, cost $79.00 Wal-Mart in Tacoma.... Or was it Fred Meyers, Did I mention my age???? My new one, Still Unfired, is the break down model, Forced on me by that Gun Pushing Store in Santa Clara, they sure know a sucker when they see him! Its SS, Breakdown model, I think it was $247.00 but don't quote me....

Psst, wanna buy a Lawn Mower? I can't mow any more!!! :D

philip :confused:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top