JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found this (again) recently, and thought it relevant to many discussions we've had here.
If you have a few minutes, please read and comment.
(or how to have meaningful discourse without antagonism)
Raging Against Self Defense:
A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality

By Sarah Thompson, M.D.

Excerpt(s)
"You don't need to have a gun; the police will protect you."

"If people carry guns, there will be murders over parking spaces and neighborhood basketball games."

"I'm a pacifist. Enlightened, spiritually aware people shouldn't own guns."

"I'd rather be raped than have some redneck militia type try to rescue me."

How often have you heard these statements from misguided advocates of victim disarmament, or even woefully uninformed relatives and neighbors? Why do people cling so tightly to these beliefs, in the face of incontrovertible evidence that they are wrong? Why do they get so furiously angry when gun owners point out that their arguments are factually and logically incorrect?

Understanding anti gun mentality

I would post the whole article here, but the site won't let me. I found this a great read, and think that it would benefit many of us to have these tools in our arsenal during our (your) next discussion with an anti.

It seems like the vast majority of people don't understand the concept that it takes law enforcement time to respond and in that time a lot of stuff can happen.

I've found that most anti-gunners fall into a certain stereotype. They tend to be extremely emotion-based people, or Type I personalities. Everything is decided on the basis of personal experience or emotion. It's very difficult to have a rational argument with them and hope to get anywhere.

I've found that most anti-gunners fall into a certain stereotype. They tend to be extremely emotion-based people, or Type I personalities. Everything is decided on the basis of personal experience or emotion. It's very difficult to have a rational argument with them and hope to get anywhere.

Not that I mean to offend some of the people here (and I know I will) but the exact same can be said for the extreme Pro-Gunners.

Am I the only one on this board that some gun owners look for every chance to slam their guns in my face? Like they need to prove something.

q. 'Why do you carry a handgun?'

a. 'Because I can't carry a policeman'

q. 'Why do you carry a .45?

a. 'Because there isn't a .46.

'Don't you think that carrying a gun makes you more likely to take a life?'

'No, it makes me more likely to save a life. Mine.'

A man with a knife can move from five yards away to splitting you open from crotch to chin in less than 3/4 of a second.

When seconds count, help is only minutes away.

In a bad neigbourhood, what would you rather your daughter carried - a cell-phone and condom, or a nice neat little something in .380ACP or 9mm?

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

not much to understand in this, just much of the same rhetoric we hear from many anti gun people. I think on both sides of this issue it is not a lack understanding each other but rather people on either side are so entrenched that no amount of understanding is going to make any difference. of course this is just speaking for myself because I will never understand the anti gun mentality or the lack there of and I really don't care to.

Everyone needs to remember that police don't prevent crime, they react to it. That's why I always carry.

I get what your saying totally! but don't you think making it as simple as they don't prevent crime is unfair to say since having there presence known helps prevent, by punishing people that prevents, for pulling people over for a blinker out that could even help prevent since that stop may become way bigger then that blinker. Get what your saying just hate when people say that because they do prevent!

Not that I mean to offend some of the people here (and I know I will) but the exact same can be said for the extreme Pro-Gunners.

Am I the only one on this board that some gun owners look for every chance to slam their guns in my face? Like they need to prove something.

That is definitely true! look at this site somebody will say hey calm down about something someone said and what will be the next post most of the time " I don't shut my mouth for nobody or back down from anybody not u my govt nobody" lol people like to show how passionate they are but especially some guys that like to make sure everyone knows there a MAN! I am a guy but i feel no need to prove that verbally or physically everyday!

I get what your saying totally! but don't you think making it as simple as they don't prevent crime is unfair to say since having there presence known helps prevent, by punishing people that prevents, for pulling people over for a blinker out that could even help prevent since that stop may become way bigger then that blinker. Get what your saying just hate when people say that because they do prevent!

Sarah Palin, is that you?

When dealing with an anti-gun person, my responses are as follows:

Q: Why do you own guns?
A: None of your business.

Q: Why do you carry a gun?

Q: Why do some people own silencers? Shouldn't that be illegal?

Q: Doesn't it bug you knowing that people around you might be armed?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads