JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
im a huge golf fan, so i was watching the u.s. open very closely all weekend. did anyone else notice at the beggining of the brodcast on sunday "under god" was left out of the plegde of alliegence that was being read by a classroom of kids. im not religious, not a big god guy, but i found that odd... could that possibly be because "god" would not agree with our gov starting these illegal wars all over the world???

I don't think religious discussions are allowed here and that is what your post will lead to; some of us don't believe in Santa and don't care regardless. On the note about the wars, it is insane for a debt-ridden, technically bankrupt corp/country to wage wars all over the globe. That is speaking just economically, not the morality issue. But that is what just about all empires do before collapsing, they lash out. We are desperately trying to protect the dollar (Libya wanted to use a gold-back currency not linked to the dollar); Saddam started trading oil in Euros; we can't allow any of that. Accept our fiat currency ways and a central bank or get clobbered, period. As always, it is all about $$.

im a huge golf fan, so i was watching the u.s. open very closely all weekend. did anyone else notice at the beggining of the brodcast on sunday "under god" was left out of the plegde of alliegence that was being read by a classroom of kids. im not religious, not a big god guy, but i found that odd... could that possibly be because "god" would not agree with our gov starting these illegal wars all over the world???

imokaywiththis.gif

Some of us don't put God in the same category as santa. This is not a debate.

Anyways, they apologized as if they didn't realize what they did.

Yeah they had to have known what they were going to do. Testing the waters?

I could not care less if they left out the reference to God or not. It is a privately owned broadcast and that part is not in the original pledge anyway.

When people do get upset, and many are, I always get a little turned off because it is a just a prime example of why the whole libertarian ideal (in which I would love to be able to believe) is not possible. The same people that are getting so upset on many forums are the same people that promote the libertarian ideal yet they fail to see the duplicity of spouting about individual freedom and then getting bent out of shape every time something is not done the way they want it done.

To spur the discussion, I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, it's the OFFICIAL pledge. On the other, an inalienable right guaranteed is to disagree with the government (albiet in limited ways). If I didn't agree with the "under god" could I just leave it out?

Let's take a similar view. Let's say I disagree with California. But I like to fly the Flag of the United States. Is it okay for me to block out one of the stars?

i just thought it was so odd, you've heard it one way for so so long, and then during the U.S. open, all the sudden its different? i don't get it, maybe there trying to stir something up.

It's entirely possible. TV broadcast do all sorts of stuff to get attention. Hey, we're talking about it, and I NEVER watch tv golf. Maybe one of the producers or something did it on purpose. TV broadcasts can say basically whatever they want under the first amendment, with the exception of some non specific obscenity laws. And if it's something like the Golf Channel (cable) they might be able to do whatever they want.

Personally, I like it better without "under god" since, jeez, a lot of people don't believe in god.

Alot of people Do believe in GOD.

Apparently!

Yup, many people believe in a god. I am not one of them but many, many people do. It is one of the single greatest justifications of violence against others in our history. However, many people do not believe in a god (and according to statistics there are more of them every day) and many of them have money. Just like the CEO of Subaru, when asked if he was worried about the southern baptist sponsored boycotts of Subaru due to the ad they produced targeting lesbians buyers, said... "Not at all...southern baptists don't buy a lot of Subarus anyway." Companies tend to cater to who they think their primary audience is and gear their products to the sensibilities of those people. If people get too bent out of shape they can always issue a disingenuous apology later through certain channels that reach the most vocal of the offended.

northernbornrebel that video shows how far we are away from the actual meaning, and that they added that stuff, which ultimately ended up dividing people.

mavrick55

NBC = Neanderthal Betterment Consensus

"The more I think about this, the decay in values has happened over decades. I recall huddling around the TV to watch Disney every Sunday to view true PG rated programming..(late 60's) As the years passed media in itself continued to push the boundaries of taste along with agenda.

What you have today is a free for all over the media outlets. Sensationalism is the earmark of success to sell advertising for the masses. In this guise all forms of liberal mandates are presented by normalizing Homosexuality, Lesbianism, extreme violence and tasteless one liners. Over time our senses are tempered, and it's the "norm."

It has only been exacerbated by the current POTUS and the new idealism for society~ So it is really up to each one of us to decide where the boundaries of proper conduct are and then hold true to these principals. Our elected officials are also to be held to the highest standards of accountability for conduct."

Great comment!

The Declaration of Independence

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are....

Should this be removed also?

The Declaration of Independence

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are....

Should this be removed also?
Let's not go down the road of arguing of the language of the time should always be strictly interpreted into todays standards. If we do that there are going to be a lot of negative issues arise. It really is an anti-intellectual argument.

You might also want to remember that when it came time to write the true legal document which is our constitution the word "God" is noticeably absent.

Well, this is a conundrum, ain't it? I think it was left out on purpose so as not to offend anyone...then they found out they DID offend a LOT of some ones....
"Can't please everyone, so got to please yourself...."

We have carried this whole political correctness stuff from the sublime to the extremes of stupidity. While I agree that some people don't like saying "under God" it has always been a part of the pledge since I learned in it the first grade back when Eisenhower was president...but of course, in those days we had prayer in school, too...and we also didn't have a lot of the problems we do now. I'm not saying there is a connecting - there is no "post hoc ergro propter hoc" idea at all....we also can't read Aesop's Fables in school anymore, nor Huck Finn nor Tom Sawyer. Someone, somewhere, might be offended....who cares?

Well, this is a conundrum, ain't it? I think it was left out on purpose so as not to offend anyone...then they found out they DID offend a LOT of some ones....
"Can't please everyone, so got to please yourself...."
That is the question...did it really offend that many people or did it just offend a very loud minority. Also, how mant people that actually watched the broadcast are among those offended? It seems to nme most of the outrage is from a few very vocal sources that are speaking to second hand accounts.

As a conservative Libertarian, I neither support mandatory pledge recitals (irrespective of the inclusion or omission of "under God"), nor such things as military drafts or anti-flag burning legislation, among others. If a private organization like the US Open chooses to omit "under God" from the pledge, I'm OK with this. I'm also OK with folks raising a ruckus if they don't like their decision. Its called Freedom.
Keith

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top