Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

under all that bluing

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by JUSTIficatioN, Dec 14, 2009.

1. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

This might be a stupid question, but I'm wondering what exactly bluing does for a rifle? Does it help prevent rust or ware to the metal? I'm asking because I have a Chinese SKS that I'm refinishing the wood on and I would like the metal parts to be a chrome color. Could I just strip the bluing off the barrell to it's original metal color or would that be doing more harm than good?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. JUSTIficatioN

I don't think their stainless steel, i just meant the color of the metal underneath. I sanded a patch off the barrel of an old POS mil-surp rifle and it was silver in color, thats what leads me to believe that an SKS would be similar in color, could be wrong though.

3. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Blueing is a form of rust preventative for non-stainless steel.

Here's a good definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_%28steel)

4. mallard8767

mallard8767 Portland Member

bluing from what i know of it.... is a small layer of chemically caused oxidation over the entire surface of a metal. When you blue a gun, you create this thin film of oxidation (or rust) and then stop the reaction so that the blue becomes non-active. This thin film of blue (or rust) keeps other rust from forming by creating a barrier over the metal surface. If you take off the blue from any metal, you will expose bare metal to moisture and thus create the possibility for "real" rust to form on the gun. If you want a chrome look out of the gun you will have to get the metal refinished or plated to avoid rusting.

5. gunwizard

gunwizard Oregon New Member

Bluing with rust if not oiled properly. Rust bluing will never rust, Dura coast will never rust.

6. JUSTIficatioN

thanks for all the info everyone!

7. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Bluing is like paint on a car...keeps the rust away.

8. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

maybe we can blue wichaka:laugh::laugh: