Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

UNARMED man seeking help shot by police!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Kable, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Kable

Kable Lynnwood Active Member

2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Another example of why avoiding interactions with the police is a good idea.

Brutus57, chariot13, Redcap and 22 others like this.
  3. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

What a load! This guy was trying to get help and they killed him for it?. The cop was charged with voluntary manslaughter and it was stated in the story that "A charge of voluntary manslaughter means the person used excessive force in self-defense, or carried out the act without intent to kill." Self-defense? against an unarmed person, 3 to 1?, Without intent to kill?, you point a gun at someone and pull the trigger and dont intend to kill them? Seems that we've always been told to NEVER point a gun at anything that you are not willing to destroy! This is just a bad cop and he should have at least been charged with murder 2 it looks like the PD is trying to protect him and I would love to see what his sentence is when it is all said and done, that is if the charge holds and is'nt tossed out or plea bargained away.

4. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Crap training and lousy mental evaluations lead to this across the country.

5. quneur

quneur Mukilteo, Wa Member

I will reserve judgement until all the facts are known. In the story it said an officer fired a taser but was ineffectual in stopping his advance. Why didn't he stop and that particular moment or when the police pulled their guns? Why did he run to the nearest house when he could have waited on the side of the road for another motorist to stop and help? Or why did the homeowner believe he was trying to break and enter if he was knocking on the door?

Too many parts of the story is not being told. Remember, this is CNN.

6. Frankenrifle

Frankenrifle Clatskanie Active Member

Sounds like there may have been enough force in the crash that he could have taken head trauma and been confused. That would explain the ineffectual taser.

7. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

That is what happens when you lower the standards to be a cop so they can pass the qualifying test.

8. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Seems like we had one of those here in Oregon, a man in a wreck and burned shot by the police, anyone recall can post a link?

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That was near Sandy Oregon if I remember and it was a cop and a sheriff involved. They stated the guy frecked them out as he approached.

1 person likes this.
  10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Hang that pig by the neck until dead.

11. fscott1979

fscott1979 Portland, OR New Member

Fouad Kaady was name of the man here in Oregon.

12. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

See my comment of the "Bloomberg's Gestapo" thread.

Sheldon

13. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

No, the department and city/county/whatever are positioning themselves for forthcoming litigation.

Peter

14. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

this is what happens when there is no consequence to shooting first and figuring things out later... far too often, cop unions/guilds protect their members beyond what is considered common sense and as a result they feel above the law and immune to common sense...

it's amazing this officer even got charged with manslaughter... there were 3 of them, they could have subdued him easily, but no, the gun was a quicker solution as he didn't want to get his nails scraped (figure of speech)...

I know the argument, a moment of hesitation can lead to a dead cop, and there is value to it.. but still there needs to be consequences for carelessness like this...

in Seattle, Officer Ian Birk got to shoot a wood carver just because he didn't turn around fast enough and drop his wood carving knife which apparently was found closed when it was on the ground...

and you can see on the dashcam videos the officer was walking in a somewhat arrogant manner when confronting the wood carver...

power gets to people heads... and when you give too much immunity/power to a group of people they will abuse it...

if only the cops police themselves and make sure others are held accountable, they would all have a better image, instead nuisance cops just get promoted and then get to form policy in some areas...

jim97701 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

So we have a 911 call for a possible intruder in the middle of the night.

The police show up, and are charged at by a man who appears disoriented/intoxicated and who is apparently able to shrug off the effects of a Taser.

It would not be unreasonable to make the split-second assumption that this individual was on PCP or bath salts. People under the influence of these substances frequently display superhuman strength as well as a complete disregard for pain or the effects of Tasers and pepper spray. They have even been known to shrug off the effects of multiple gunshot wounds for several minutes until they finally bleed out. Combine all this with the violent, psychotic rage that these drugs produce and you have an individual who for all practical purposes becomes a wild animal that poses a huge danger to anyone in their path.

Its pretty easy to sit in an armchair a day or two later and make lofty moral judgements about what the cop "should" have done. Its a little harder when its your life at stake and you are forced to make a split-second life or death decision. We now know after the fact that the man was unarmed and had been in a traffic accident, but the cops who showed up on the scene did not know these facts and were merely responding to a 911 burglary call in the middle of the night. This event was a tragedy and my heart goes out to the family of the man who was shot, but I dont think its fair to charge the cop with manslaughter simply because he made a split-second error in judgement

16. razormanxx

razormanxx eugene Active Member

The dude must have been injured or a mute. He knocked on someone's door early morning and didn't say anything, that lady called the police. Then he ran at the cops not saying anything.

17. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

One other thing....I am frequently amazed by people who make judgments about police based solely on media reports, only to turn right around and criticize that same media for its biased and dishonest reporting of 2nd Amendment issues. You cant have it both ways.

18. Kable

Kable Lynnwood Active Member

The story has been updated since I originally posted it. In the first version it said an officer tried to fire his tazer but it malfunctioned. If the guy was in a serious accident he was probably confused and disoriented. Perhaps he thought someone was trapped in the car and was desperately trying to get help. The story also now says "The evidence revealed that Mr. Ferrell did advance on Officer Kerrick and the investigation showed that the subsequent shooting of Mr. Ferrell was excessive," police said in another statement issued late Saturday night. "Our investigation has shown that Officer Kerrick did not have a lawful right to discharge his weapon during this encounter. " I realize this is CNN and all the facts aren't in yet but I'm not sure what kind of justifiable excuse the officer would have had to shoot the guy which is part of the reason this was posted so we could discuss and theorize

19. NoOne

NoOne Puget Sound Active Member

Even though the report said the officer's tazer malfunctioned, I wonder what justification there was for firing a tazer at a man seeking help. It might be worth while to figure out what the person wants before tazing them.

The whole point in knowing the difference between cover and concealment is that cover allows you the luxury of more time to figure out what is going on. I'm not suggesting that cover makes you invulnerable, I am suggesting that proper use of cover could allow the officer more time to ask the fellow what he wants or needs.

20. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Excessive?

ex·ces·sive
    adjective \ik-ˈse-siv\

: going beyond what is usual, normal, or proper

So based on the definition of the word 'excessive' they are not inferring he was wrong, just 'excessive'.