JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My opine would be to look for disimilar metal reaction. Activated by the chemicals and excellerated by the bad ultrasonics, not the Beach Boys "Good vibrations"
And buy the way, this thread should be in the "cleaning and maintenance" section. if for no other reason, because it's lonely there and without post.

Cleaning cases and cleaning dies requires two entirely different solutions. Ditto for a lot of other items you might put in your ultrasonic cleaner. The "brightening agents" in the brass case cleaner can stain metals like the steel in a die.

If you don't have the correct solution just use some Dawn Diswashing Detergent and run the cleaner for a few more cycles. It may not scour any brass particles out of the die but a good brushing with bore cleaner can do just as well. The ultrasonic cleaner will do a great job of cleaning all the buildup from lube in the inside corners you can't seem to reach with normal cleaning methods and will clean all the mess caused by grubby hands on the outside.

You'd be amazed what you can clean off with just plain "Dawn".

Hummm,,if it doesn't rust up,,,you just may have found a new bluing process!!!! LOL!! I still use a tumbler so I'm not familiar with ultra sonic cleaners and there chemicals, and I usually just use carb cleaner on my dies. Keep us posted if they do rust up, I'd be curious to know sense I've been considering a ultra sonic cleaner for such an application.

I'd call RCBS and talk to one of their die experts to see what they say. I doubt you are the first to run into this. The picture to me looks like a chemical reaction and cosmetic only, but using them will be the proof of the pudding. I doubt the carbide would be affected -- did the carbide insert change color too?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top