Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ultrasonic cleaning

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Kimber Custom, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Anyone ever try ultrasonic cleaning your guns?

2. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what ultrasonic cleaning is? Awhile back I found a recipe for a rod and battery design with a solution down the bore that I made (following the directions) that worked like no body's business to remove "ALL" copper and lead fouling from the barrels of my long guns, could this be what your talking about?

3. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

Ultra sonic cleaning is what they use in dental offices/medical facilities, to sterilize there instruments. Lots of heat and I believe pressure involved.

Works good on jewelry.

4. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

That's Autoclaving. Ultrasonic cleaning uses water and a cleaning solution in an open bath device. There is an ultrasonic emitter in the base of the water bath. Some have heat for the bath.

5. Key-Hay

Sorry, didn't answer original question. I would not use an ultrasonic cleaner for any parts that are ferrous metal. Brass, Gold, Silver and stainless clean up nice depending on dirt. Steel can be cleaned by putting a glass container filled with alcohol. Place the ferrous metal in the container with alcohol. place the container in the water bath.

They do make Ultrasonic case cleaners, Have not tried one but would think they would work good. Just gotta dry cases out.

6. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

Do not put aluminum in an ultrasonic cleaner, it will break it down.

7. Key-Hay

Aluminum is OK if its hard anodized. We do it all the time at work with medical sensors.

8. Key-Hay

Guess I'll stay with good o'l corn cob and walnut shell then. Was looking at the Hornady US cleaner in the latest Midway USA flyer.

9. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I figured since I hadn't heard about anyone using it for gun parts that it probably wasn't very effective but I was curious. I saw an ad for Harbor Freight and wondered if it might be a good way to clean barrels or trigger groups. I read a wikipedia article about it and it mentioned 'weapons' industry but with wiki you never really know what you're going to get.

10. Wood Worker

Wood Worker Linn County Oregon Active Member

I have cleaned my pistol barrels using a sonic cleaner.
    Not to hard to do, I just suspended the barrel at a 45* angle using nylon string from the arm of a desktop swing arm lamp into the sonic cleaner, using a simplegreen mix, and watched the powder and fowling vibrate out the end of the barrel.

I heard recently that it is not good to clean anything aluminum in simplegreen, but that is not a problem for me, because I had only cleaned stainless steel barrels in it.

I can also tell you, I learned the hard way, not to run the sonic cleaner with anything directly resting on the bottom.
    I seemed to have burnt mine out.
    I think I will go check what harbor freight has too.

11. f3rr37

f3rr37 Portland New Member

I use my harborfreight ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning brass with a water/simplegreen mix, works great. I also used it on my AR bolt carrier... I don't think I've ever seen my bolt carrier that clean before. :)

12. Mason3379

Mason3379 Oregon City Active Member

Girlfriend works in the Ortho field, I got one for free from her. I love it, tear down the 10/22's and put the receiver and all parts in and they come out squeaky clean. Throw in the AR bolts after a good round of shooting and they come out like new! I love it, especially since it was free:)

13. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Mine works quite well for almost anything that'll fit.
    NO night sights, and nothing with questionable paint. My wife's ppk lost it's sight paint (no biggie) and the dot for the off "safe" on the slide.
    My sr9 lost it's sight paint as well.
    The hi point's slide finish looked a bit dull afterward, needed some oil to look right again.
    But the shear amount of gunk that came out of the guns is rather remarkable.

14. enjr4

enjr4 Renton, WA Active Member

I use one on mags. The only problem is that is cleans so well that they will rust before you can get them dry enough to oil. Used it once on a slide and I could not believe the amout of stuff that came out.