JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've got a tiny little Lyman I bought years ago mostly used to clean my wife's jewelry, I tried using it to clean baffles and it did so so. I hate that it's max setting is 600 seconds or ten minutes. I would like it to run for an hour or longer without having to turn it back on every ten.

Any recommendations for a cleaner within the $100 range-ish that will run for an hour straight?

I have a Hornady, their large one, it has a timer but right off the top of my head I can't tell you how long it will run. I clean my handguns and the 30 minute setting works just fine.

Maybe try out different cleaners?

I use a cheapo small harbor freight ultrasonic, forget exactly how long the timer runs...but it's short. ?6 minutes?

Has the heater element, which really helps cleaning as well.

That harbor freight model can't get too hot tho, or it just shuts down. So I just heat it up a bit, then turn off the heater element.

I use simple green cleaner cut with water, but it's the aluminum safe simple green. Is purple in color.

Does a decent job on glommed up parts. Still have to nylon bristle brush the really badly glommed up parts tho.

...oh & we don't NFA, so not sure on how it would clean suppressor baffles (ie I don't know how nasty they get/how difficult they are to do a manual brush etc).

I have had this one for about a year and a half. I am very pleased with it!
https://www.amazon.com/Industry-Jew...544597821&sr=1-51&keywords=ultrasonic+cleaner

The 10.2 x 7.9 x 3.1 in internal tank dimensions is large enough for a couple disassembled pistols. 2.5 gal with a 30 minute timer. When I clean brass I give the basket a shake a couple of times through the cleaning process to expose all sides of all the brass for cleaning... it makes cleaning a lot faster. I just use Dawn dishwasher detergent or TSP. Pretty much anything that will break down the carbon deposits will break them down much much faster in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Be careful in differentiating total watts vs ultrasonic watts. The one in the link is "480w" which is actually 240 watts ultrasonic power + a 240 watt heater. Ultrasonic power is what does the actual cleaning... pretty much the more ultrasonic watts the faster the cleaning will be.

Last Edited:
I have the Harbor Freight one. I think the max time is 4 minutes.
Where it became stupendously awesome is when I discovered how well it cleans pistol parts using Kerosene. Yes, kerosene.
For those of you who may chuckle, thinking I'm the next unwitting Uncle Rob, fear not - I use the method outside, in a contained area where if it DID decide to erupt, it would be self contained.
Every time I use it, I get that perverse, closet pyro thrill. :eek: (That ought to be useful, @Stomper).
Be aware, tho, Kerosene removes some bluing and phosphate finishes.

I have had this one for about a year and a half. I am very pleased with it!
https://www.amazon.com/Industry-Jew...544597821&sr=1-51&keywords=ultrasonic+cleaner

The 10.2 x 7.9 x 3.1 in internal tank dimensions is large enough for a couple disassembled pistols. 2.5 gal with a 30 minute timer. When I clean brass I give the basket a shake a couple of times through the cleaning process to expose all sides of all the brass for cleaning... it makes cleaning a lot faster. I just use Dawn dishwasher detergent or TSP. Pretty much anything that will break down the carbon deposits will break them down much much faster in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Be careful in differentiating total watts vs ultrasonic watts. The one in the link is "480w" which is actually 240 watts ultrasonic power + a 240 watt heater. Ultrasonic power is what does the actual cleaning... pretty much the more ultrasonic watts the faster the cleaning will be.
Thanks for the link. This is the type of cleaner I'm looking for. I found one in similar due to your link that is about $60 I think will do the trick. Smaller tank, but has a 30 minute timer.

I use dawn dish soap and it tends to do the trick. After an hour most of the crud just wiped off. The first couple of baffles needed a scrub to get the rest off.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top